PDA

View Full Version : Remote Access and VMWare

Raven313
20th July 2007, 11:07 PM
One month ago, I built a core 2 duo system with vista ultimate. I installed vmware workstation 6 and installed fedora core 7 as the guest OS. I would like to access my fedora VM remotely from my XP laptop but I'm having a couple of issues.

If I remote desktop to vista and bring up vmware, it says my mouse pointer is incompatible and I need to install a monochrome pointer. The effect is the mouse pointer is jumpy and it's basically unusable. I tried different pointers and no luck.

If I enable remote desktop in fedora, I can access it directly from the laptop, but if I scroll the mouse wheel my connection dies. With RealVNC, I get the error "connection reset by peer." With TightVNC, I get the error "Error while waiting for server message."

I have moderate linux experience. Any help on troubleshooting these issues would be appreciated.

adrianelliott
21st July 2007, 09:48 AM
Firstly a couple of things you need to do:-

The virtual machine must be set up for bridged networking.
If you are trying to access your Linux box from outside your local network, then it is essential that you port forward your SSH port to the IP address of the Linux guest. I have seen a lot of people port forward to the VMware host, this is wrong. The guest has its own IP with bridged networking. Assuming you have not played with SSH config, the default port is 22.

OK now here are a few ways you can access your guest machine remotely.

1) VMware Server Console.

You can download the frontend for VMware seperately to the whole package from the VMware site. Install it on your laptop and run it. Connect to Remote Host, and enter the IP address of the Vista host. You will need to use your administrator account password to connect. Over a local lan this is a pretty good way to access the Linux box, since you can easily reboot it and mount CDs etc.

2) SSH (text only)

On the Linux guest, use Yum to install open-ssh. Make sure that you allow port 22 through on the iptables firewall if this is active. You should then be able to SSH into a console session as any non-root user. Obviously strong passwords are essential here. Remember that even once SSH is installed and the firewall on the guest is open, you still need to make sure the SSH daemon is running, "/etc/init.d/sshd start" should do it. You may want to add it to runlevel 5 in the services manager to have it start everytime.

3) NXServer

Once you have confirmed that SSH is running fine, your next step should be NXServer. This will allow you to make a graphical connection over SSH. It basically makes VNC redundant because it is so good! As far as I know, FreeNX is availiable in the repositorys, if it isn't then just download it from http://freenx.berlios.de/. There is very little configuration to do, you just need to copy a text key accross from your server to your laptop (see http://fedoranews.org/contributors/rick_stout/freenx/).

Once you have done this, you should have a fantastic connection to your linux box.

Raven313
22nd July 2007, 05:32 AM
The NXServer solution worked very nicely for me. Thanks for your assistance.