PDA

View Full Version : Wine !

BHULLARZ
19th July 2007, 06:45 AM
Hi Guys ! I am new to Linux. I just want to know What is WINE ? I have heard we can use exe files using WINE in Linux. Is it possible to use windows executables in Linux.? how to install it and how to use it ?

iamroot
19th July 2007, 06:51 AM
Just type "yum install wine" into the terminal. After installing WINE, just type "wine" into the terminal and they will configure everything for you. Then you can just use "wine program_name" to execute .exe files, or you can just double-click on the file.

NewLinuxAddict
19th July 2007, 06:55 AM
Wine is a Windows emulator. Yes, it does allow you to run .exe files on Linux. Without an emulator you cannot run .exe files in Linux

BHULLARZ
19th July 2007, 02:16 PM
I tried to run Yahoomessenger8.exe using WINE but it gave some error . Why?

leigh123linux
19th July 2007, 02:24 PM
I tried to run Yahoomessenger8.exe using WINE but it gave some error . Why?

Not all exe's will run and others may require more dll ' s to be installed in wine to work. ( without any output error's I wouldn't have a clue why it isn't running " Yahoomessenger8.exe " )

BHULLARZ
19th July 2007, 03:21 PM
Ok . I have installed one software name DietMp3 using wine. But now how can I unistall it ? It has created a Shortcut on Desktop. But I am not able to trace out the folder for the EXE file.

Using Wine where the files are installed means in which folder as the default path for installation in WINDOWS is c:\program files\.

leigh123linux
19th July 2007, 03:44 PM
try looking in /home/*/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files

Change the * to you username

su
nautilus /home/*/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files

adrianelliott
21st July 2007, 01:38 PM
Why bother with running the Windows version of Yahoo messenger? Run Pidgin or Gaim, both of these are native linux programs which support yahoo messengering.

Wine does yield good results with some windows programs, however it should be used as a last resort when you are desperate to get a program working. If a native linux program can do the same job, then it is always the best option.

http://appdb.winehq.org/appbrowse.php this link lists all programs known to work in Wine.