PDA

View Full Version : Updating From Fedora 7 (6.93)

Michale
18th July 2007, 02:19 PM
I am having some major hassles with my YUM. Errors like: "Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: blaa blaa" and the like..

I fixed a few of the links, but more problems crop up.

So I decided to update my 6.93 Fedora to the next version hoping that the new and correct links will work.

But I can't seem to find any definitive information on versions of Fedora 7. IS there a newer version out??

Thanx

Michale

SteveGYBE
18th July 2007, 03:57 PM
It is usually better to do a fresh install of Fedora between versions where possible rather than upgrade from say 6 to 7. But before you give up have you tried a "yum clean all" to clean out all the information and start afresh?

In answer to your specific question, there are no subversions of Fedora 7 (at least yet), but once you install from DVD there will be a hundred or so package updates, depending on what you chose to install in the first place.

rjstaaf
18th July 2007, 04:35 PM
I am having some major hassles with my YUM. Errors like: "Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: blaa blaa" and the like..

I fixed a few of the links, but more problems crop up.

So I decided to update my 6.93 Fedora to the next version hoping that the new and correct links will work.

But I can't seem to find any definitive information on versions of Fedora 7. IS there a newer version out??

Thanx

Michale

What you have there is a test release of Fedora 7. 6.93 was the 4th test release of Fedora 7. Only the test releases get those .XX numbers. The final releases will always go something like 6, 7, 8 etc, only the test releases (beta) will have numbers like 6.93. Fedora is not released in that manner. Once the final release comes out updates are done via patches to packages rather than an entire new release of the same version.

Personally if it were me I would back up any files I wanted to save and do a fresh install of the final release of Fedora 7 rather than trying to update your test release.