PDA

View Full Version : Wine Help

NewLinuxAddict
18th July 2007, 08:04 AM
I installed Wine on Fedora Core 6 to install Xfire. That's really the only thing I planned on installing, just so I'd have that messenger when I travel (this is being installed on my laptop). I got it installed and got it to run, but I can't see any of the text on it. All of the names on my friends lists are just solid white. A letter or two might show up here and there, but other than that it's all white. Then when I try typing a message to someone the text appears black and can't be seen. Any ideas how to fix this?

lazlow
18th July 2007, 08:29 AM
This one looks really wine specific to me. I would check with winehq:

http://www.winehq.org/

NewLinuxAddict
18th July 2007, 07:39 PM
I tried going to their IRC channel. Everyone told me to get the plugin for GAIM. The problem I'm having with the plugin is that after I updated everything, GAIM became Pidgin. Because of that some dependencies are missing. If anyone can tell me how to get Xfire running on Wine, or get the Xfire plugin running I would really appreciate it.

lazlow
18th July 2007, 08:05 PM
Ok, are you running pidgin for windows or for Linux. If you want to run a windows plugin you will probably have to run the windows version.

NewLinuxAddict
19th July 2007, 05:47 AM
Running pidgin on Fedora Core 6. kernel.i686 (not sure if that matters). Basically I just get a message about dependencies. It needs a file from gaim, and since gaim has been replaced with pidgin, I'm missing those files. I wish I knew Linux better :(

lazlow
19th July 2007, 05:56 AM
Ok, either you are trying to run the Linux version of this plugin and you do not need wine or you need to run the windows version of pidgin to run the windows plugin.

NewLinuxAddict
19th July 2007, 05:59 AM
The problem with Wine is when I try running Xfire I can't see my friends list since it's solid white. I tried getting the Linux version of the plugin and that's when I get the dependencies problem.

lazlow
19th July 2007, 06:05 AM
To the first problem that is why I suggested you go to wineHQ.

To the second problem you can wait for the pidgin version of the plugin or post the errors so we know where to start.

NewLinuxAddict
19th July 2007, 07:10 AM
The file I'm downloading for the plugin is "gaim-xfire-0.6.0-1.5.0.FC5.1.i386.rpm" This file is meant for GAIM and was released 2006-09-16. That's the newest version so I don't think a pidgin version will be coming out. I wanted to keep GAIM, but I kept getting little update messages so I updated and GAIM became Pidgin. I also went to WineHQ and asked in their IRC channel. Some of the users there told me to just use IRC instead of Xfire, so I got no help. The error with the plugin is "Error resolving dependencies" then it says "Missing Dependency: gaim = 1:1.5.0 is needed by package gaim-xfire" in the details for the error.

lazlow
19th July 2007, 07:16 AM
IRC is really a bad place to get help. Try the forum on wineHQ.

That plugin was also meant for FC5 not FC6 which could be part of the problem. I did not mean a new version of pidgin I meant a newer version of the plugin. If they do not update the plugin for pidgin then there is probably a replacement for it.

lazlow
19th July 2007, 07:22 AM
From the xfire home forum:

For those of you who haven't noticed yet GAIM is now called "Pidgin" because of some troubles with AOL. Pidgin 2 Final is now availible and afaik they have made a new plugin api too.

I would imagine that the old plugin will not be compatible with the new api.

NewLinuxAddict
19th July 2007, 07:33 AM
Hmm...maybe someone on the Xfire forums can tell me how to make Xfire work with Wine. Thanks for helping, and the new idea for help :)

lazlow
19th July 2007, 07:53 AM
From the wineHQ forum:

You need to install the Mozilla ActiveX control to
> use Wine's builtin CLSID_WebBrowser from SHDOCVW.DLL