PDA

View Full Version : xml-common... missing dependency

winblowz
16th July 2007, 02:22 PM
hi gang,

after doing a sudo yum update this morning i got the error...

--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: xml-commons = 0:1.3.02-0.b2.7jpp.10 for package: xml-commons-apis
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: xml-commons = 0:1.3.02-0.b2.7jpp.10 is needed by package xml-commons-apis

i usually run the yum update several times a week so this was a surprise. i then tried to run... sudo yum install xml-commons* & got the following output...

--> Processing Dependency: xml-commons = 0:1.3.02-0.b2.7jpp.10 for package: xml-commons-which
--> Processing Dependency: xml-commons = 0:1.3.02-0.b2.7jpp.10 for package: xml-commons-apis
Error: Missing Dependency: xml-commons = 0:1.3.02-0.b2.7jpp.10 is needed by package xml-commons-which
Error: Missing Dependency: xml-commons = 0:1.3.02-0.b2.7jpp.10 is needed by package xml-commons-apis

so then i googled for xml-commons-1.03.02-0.b2.7jpp.10 for fc6 & found the xml-commons-1.3.02-0.b2.7jpp.10.i386.rpm
file which i then downloaded.

then i ran sudo rpm -e --nodeps xml-commons... which ran without error & so i then did a sudo rpm -ivh xml*i386.rpm which installed again with no error.

then i ran sudo yum update once again with the same original error...

any ideas what else i can do/check for or what the underlying problem might be?

Hlingler
16th July 2007, 05:05 PM
Hello:

I've been getting a very similar error for over a week now on my nightly yum-cron updates - it involves the jpackage-generic repository, xml-commons package and related packages. After selective updating, I've narrowed it down to:
Error: Transaction Check Error:
file /usr/bin/xml-resolver from install of xml-commons-resolver11-1.3.03-10jpp conflicts with file from package xml-commons-resolver-1.1-3jpp
file /usr/bin/xml-xparse from install of xml-commons-resolver11-1.3.03-10jpp conflicts with file from package xml-commons-resolver-1.1-3jpp
file /usr/bin/xml-xread from install of xml-commons-resolver11-1.3.03-10jpp conflicts with file from package xml-commons-resolver-1.1-3jpp
file /usr/share/java/xml-commons-resolver.jar from install of xml-commons-resolver11-1.3.03-10jpp conflicts with file from package xml-commons-resolver-1.1-3jppxml-commons-resolver-1.1-3jpp cannot be removed without dragging many important dependencies with it (OpenOffice, etc.).

My solution is to disable the jpackage-generic repo for updates. Or you could spend some time selectively picking packages from the update list, one at a time, until you reach an impasse - that's what I did, and I got about half of the updates to install, including the ones you've mentioned, IIRC. What's left is xerces-j2 and dependencies. I don't like to use the --nodeps option unless I'm absolutely sure it's necessary and safe, and I don't consider these packages to be important enough at the moment, so that's where I've left it for now. It's probably an error in the repo/dependencies, and I'm hoping it will eventually get ironed out before I have to do any more work myself.

This is even more odd, because I believe that jpackage repo is used by Fedora for some basic packages and dependencies, but I haven't seen any other posts about these errors.

nwinkler
16th July 2007, 05:23 PM
I have the same error (xml-commons-resolver) and I also fixed it by temporarily disabling the jpackage repo.

ChrisKriel
16th July 2007, 06:58 PM
Ditto on resolver11

winblowz
16th July 2007, 09:40 PM
My solution is to disable the jpackage-generic repo for updates.
yup, took the ez route & just disabled jpackage in /etc/yum.repos.d for the time being. very strange this crops up as i haven't installed/changed anything for awhile now & have certainly updated my system regularly with nps till this morn.

oh well like it has been said, hopefully this gets ironed out soonish :)

lkundrak
18th July 2007, 07:04 PM
Here's a bugzilla entry: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=248774

QuasiMod
24th July 2007, 04:38 PM
Hello,

This happens on fc6.
I have the same problem with xerces-j2 depending on xml-commons-resolver11, when installing xml-commons-resolver11
it throws error:

Transaction Check Error:
file /usr/bin/xml-resolver from install of xml-commons-resolver11-1.3.03-10jpp conflicts with file from package xml-commons-resolver-1.1-1jpp.12
file /usr/bin/xml-xparse from install of xml-commons-resolver11-1.3.03-10jpp conflicts with file from package xml-commons-resolver-1.1-1jpp.12
file /usr/bin/xml-xread from install of xml-commons-resolver11-1.3.03-10jpp conflicts with file from package xml-commons-resolver-1.1-1jpp.12
file /usr/share/java/xml-commons-resolver.jar from install of xml-commons-resolver11-1.3.03-10jpp conflicts with file from package xml-commons-resolver-1.1-1jpp.12

prior to that i had some dependency error with xml-commons-apis so i did "yum remove xml-commons-apis" and then updated packages narrowing my update list to xerces-j2.
I cannot remove xerces-j2 or xml-commons-resolver as a lot of packages depend on them (> 20, including open office package), i'm linux newbie so i do not know much what those packages are for, can i remove them all, will i be able to reinstall them, and will i not get the same error again when i do that.

Any ideas how to fix this. By the way what will happen if i remove jpackage-generic repository, will i not get some other important updates? I'ts not hard just to deselect xerces-j2 when updating, but a bit annoying.
Another question i've read somewhere you can disable updating selected packages by just entering some line "exclude=..." in /etc/yum.conf, but it does'nt work for me, what I'm doing wrong? When writing :
----------------------
#yum shell
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up Yum Shell
> config exclude
exclude: xerces*
-------------------------
Everything seems ok, but when I write "yum update", xerces-j2 pops up in update list.

Thank you for reading this, any suggestions?

P.S. sorry for my engrish

Seve
24th July 2007, 05:32 PM
Hello:
It looks like you have a conflict due to the installation of packages from jpackage and fedora [mixing the repos] ?

One thing you can try, is to use yumex
and select the package you want to install, while at the same time de-select the offending package and see if that will get you by the >20 dependency issue.
Have no idea if it will work or not, however, it might be worth a try.

If you don't have yumex installed then just use yum install yumex

Seve

nwinkler
24th July 2007, 07:26 PM
I think the problem has gone away - at least for me. I enabled the JPackage repos again and successfully did an update, looks like it's fixed.

Nils

ChrisKriel
26th July 2007, 06:30 AM
I still get the same problem as QuasiMod. No doubt the problem is caused by mixing repos. Seems that the version of Xerces that OpenOffice depends on in turn depends on xml-commons-resolver and not the new resolver11 which in turn is a dependancy for many packages from jpackage. So until OpenOffice starts using the version of Xerces that depends on resolver11, the problem will persist.

QuasiMod
26th July 2007, 07:21 AM
I still have the problem, will wait for further updates from fedora, may be it will be solved with time, for the time being i just not update xerces, just hope new versions of vital packages will not depend on it. By the way i have installed java jdk 1.6 just before problems started, I think it is just a coincidence, but.
Mixing repositories mean xml-commons-resolver from repos A, conflicts with xml-commons-resolver11 from repos B?
By the way

Seems that the version of Xerces that OpenOffice depends on in turn depends on xml-commons-resolver and not the new resolver11

If uninstall old Xerces (and pkgs which depend on it), OpenOffice, xml-commons-resolver (and pkgs which depend on it), then reinstall new Xerces (with xml-commons-resolver11), with some luck it should install itself as there is no old xml-commons-resolver, then reinstall OpenOffice and hope it will work with new xerces and will not try to install old xerces with it. Just my noob wicked logic, might it work? But I'm afraid to try that, it's awfull lot of packages which depend on xml-commons-resolver and old xerces. Hope my currenly working linux will not break down if i try that.

Thanks everyone for suggestions

QuasiMod
26th July 2007, 08:03 AM
No luck with Steve's suggestion to use yumex, it tries to install, remove, update using yum, fails with same error. Now I will try to remove xerces and xml-commons-resolver, then post results here. By the way it seems to me that xml-commons-resolver and xml-commons-resolver11 cannot live together, just hope i will not need both of them.

Updated ---

I've removed xerces, which dragged OpenOffice with it, then removed xml-commons-resolver (it seems that only xerces depended on it), then reinstalled xerces, everything went just fine xml-commons-resolver11 as dependancy was installed successfully.
Everything seemed fine, but when I did:
# yum install openoffice.org-core
It came out with Error:
Error: Missing Dependency: xerces-j2 is needed by package openoffice.org-core
And I know xerces-j2 is installed, seems that oo which comes with fc6 depends on old xerces-j2 version, and does not work with new one.
What i did next is to download OO2.2 rpms from official site and install them, also installed openoffice.org-redhat-menus-2.2-9153.noarch.rpm from "desktop-integration/" dir. Now I have open office working, and xerces-j2 does not complain.
But yum wants to update OpenOffice to 2.0.4 (and I have v. 2.2), so i had to add line
exclude=openoffice*
to /etc/yum.conf
So now package updater list is clean, I guess problem is solved for a time being, at least for me.

And again, thanks everyone for help

Hlingler
26th July 2007, 06:41 PM
Hello:

Yum/KYum/Yumex also still choke on these updates for me. I finally got tired of seeing the broken updates, so I took the time set up smart-package-manager with the JPackage-fc6, JPackage-generic-free, and JPackage-generic-non-free repos. I marked xerces-j2 for update and xml-commons-resolver-1.1-1jpp.12 for removal. Smart-package-manager had no problem with the transaction, and performed the update without error, bringing dependencies including xml-commons-resolver11-1.3.03-10jpp with it. Obviously, smart-package-manager is smart enough to understand that xml-commons-resolver11-1.3.03-10jpp would replace xml-commons-resolver-1.1-1jpp.12, without trying to remove other dependent packages (OOorg, etc.) with it.

Problem solved using Smart-Package-Manager. :D

Regards,
Vince

Doug_Vitale
31st July 2007, 02:20 PM
For what it's worth, I reported this error on LinuxQuestions.org in this thread (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=569773) , but didn't receive any suggestions on how to fix it. I did try removing the xml-commons-resolver but like others have already mentioned, it uninstalls OpenOffice as well. That was quite surprising when I tried to use OO.org spreadsheet, only to find it gone.