PDA

View Full Version : totem xine towards the "all" codec pack from mplayer

roskoo
10th July 2007, 07:59 AM
I decided to use totem xine with the "all" codec pack from mplayer.

I don't want to install mplayer or xine or vlc cause I want to get the lighter install and prefer the interface of totem xine.

I get (yum livna) the totem xine , totem xine mozplugin, totem xine plparser and xine-lib , but I dont install xine-lib extras non free nor totem xine-devel

if I edit totem_config (~/.gnome2) I can see these lines "
# path to Win32 codecs
# string, default: /usr/lib/codecs
#decoder.external.win32_codecs_path:/usr/lib/codecs"

so to install the mplayer codecs :
cd /tmp
wget http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/all-20061022.tar.bz2
tar -jxvf all-20061022.tar.bz2
su
cp all-20061022/* /usr/lib/codecs'
rm -rf /tmp/all-20061022*
chmod 755 /usr/lib/codecs/*

but I failed to read any proprietary streams with this fatal error "
Totem could not play 'mms://dalwmle005.bcst.yahoo.com/bcenc202228?StreamID=39105330&ht=30&pl_auth=38c100d6a40c5f0ddffaccd73b838129&pl_b=00D90C0888527E61CC7F060D9F4692860B&Segment=149773&CG_ID
=1369080'.
There is no input plugin to handle the location of this movie"

what doesn't go?
thanks for help

Wayne
10th July 2007, 08:26 AM
Prolly because you didn't install xine-lib extras nonfree.

Edit: Also, to be on the safe side, I always untar the codecs to 3 locations:

/usr/local/lib/codecs/
/usr/lib/win32
/usr/lib/codecs/

Wayne

roskoo
10th July 2007, 08:40 AM
thank rondonjin , but some things are not clear in my mind ,what is the exact role of this "xine-lib extras nonfree" in my case , if the "all" codec pack from mplayer could give me any needed codec? and why to cp the codecs in 3 locations if I can see that the path to the codecs is /usr/libcodecs in totem_config (~/.gnome2){# path to Win32 codecs
# string, default: /usr/lib/codecs
#decoder.external.win32_codecs_path:/usr/lib/codecs}

Wayne
10th July 2007, 10:07 AM
The nonfree codecs are exactly what it says, extra proprietary codecs for Xine. Don't worry, there's nothing in there that will conflict with the mplayer codecs, just think of them as being complimentary to them. I think included are the DVD decryption/navigation libraries.

Wayne

roskoo
10th July 2007, 01:37 PM
ok but how in this case (if I install the 'xine-lib extras nonfree' ) can I be certain the "all" codec pack from mplayer is of any utility ( and that 'these' codecs can be really use through totem-xine as complementary and that they works ?

roskoo
11th July 2007, 06:54 PM
no way to get the "all" mplayer pack codecs working with totem-xine under the path /usr/lib/codecs, so I erase all these codecs and simply yum install "xine-lib extras nonfree". I can't understand

a_small_cake
17th July 2007, 12:19 PM
no way to get the "all" mplayer pack codecs working with totem-xine under the path /usr/lib/codecs, so I erase all these codecs and simply yum install "xine-lib extras nonfree". I can't understand

When you are using default Totem from Fedora it uses GStreamer engine, when you are using Totem-xine it uses Xine engine so you must install xine-lib package, Totem-xine without Xine engine (xine-lib) won't play anything.

roskoo
17th July 2007, 05:08 PM
if you read my first post you could see that xine-lib is installed, however if I download this rpm (wget www1.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/mplayer-codecs-extra-20061022-1.i386.rpm; rpm -ivh mplayer-codecs-extra-20061022-1.i386.rpm) I can stream the real codecs, but apparently only the real audio streams ,and nothing else? Now I am thinking this is a problem related to SELinux Management . Mine status is in 'enforcing' mode and I don't want to disabled it . In the properties of the codecs files in /usr/ib/codecs I can see, in the permissions, the SELinux context is different if the codecs files come from the rpm (sel context is lib_t ou a I don't remember exactly) or if they have been installed as in my first post (.tar.bz2, sel context is root I think). The problem is that with the 'mplayer-codecs-extra-20061022-1.i386.rpm' they are just a few codecs not 'all'.

a_small_cake
17th July 2007, 05:39 PM
Why don't you use codecs from Livna repo? They work quite well. I'm using Totem-xine and I can play almost all kind of videos. For some reason I can't play HD MOV in Totem-xine but it runs smooth in VLC. I always have SELinux enabled - enforcing.

roskoo
17th July 2007, 08:00 PM
Why don't you use codecs from Livna repo? which one? it would be nice , but sorry I can't see the equivalent of the 'all" codec pack from mplayer' ?
In fact I just need to read windows or real streams (radios, tvs on line) through totem xine interface

linux-newby
17th July 2007, 08:43 PM
sorry if im in the wrong place, bu rather than start another thread id thought id post here.
My question is im gonna need to get my player to play my wmv files and dvd's is there an easier way i have also tried this guide but get errors when i tried to install codecs
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=100206
but the links wget etc dont work

a_small_cake
17th July 2007, 08:47 PM
which one? it would be nice , but sorry I can't see the equivalent of the 'all" codec pack from mplayer' ?
In fact I just need to read windows or real streams (radios, tvs on line) through totem xine interface

I think it is xine-lib extras and xine-lib non free. I can't tell you exactly which codecs provide packages from Livna and Mplayer site I never compared them.

roskoo
17th July 2007, 09:03 PM
yes I got the xine-lib extras nonfree from livna

a_small_cake
17th July 2007, 11:37 PM
I think you need also libquicktime, ffmpeg etc.

roskoo
18th July 2007, 08:17 AM
libquicktime, ffmpeg etc... they are already installed

linux-newby
18th July 2007, 08:37 AM
Wow ive been searching right through this forum on how to play dvds which ive found here http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=161109
then found this here while looking for more http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=161145 while looking for more, is it really that bad in here, think its time to go

a_small_cake
18th July 2007, 09:06 AM
I don't know whats your problem with DVD. I can even play DVD from ISO files and it shows dvd-menu.