PDA

View Full Version : Only desktop visible on booting: No Toolbar

confused261
7th July 2007, 07:29 PM
I had a FC3 which I upgraded last year to FC5 [not a clean install]. I do not use it much. The other day when screen-saver kicked in for the first time, it complained of some error which I do not recall now. Ever since whenever I boot the system [it has a default login which does not require any login from my side], all I see is my desktop [Gnome] without the toolbar. The toolbar is missing and I am able to do nothing but rebooting. The bottom status bar has a single window selection option but no window is available.

Pl. advise.

confused261
8th July 2007, 03:16 AM
I have been successful in bringing some functionality to it. I added a new Panel and added stuff to it. The system is operational now. My question is there a way to bring the default Gnome Panel usually on the top of the screen. The compoents which I have added do the job but are not as elegant as they were in the original Panel.

Thanks in advance

bob
8th July 2007, 03:20 AM
Confused, as you can read on the News page, FC-5 has just been removed from active status and unless you have a really compelling reason to hang onto it, you should be updating to Fedora6 or, better yet, Fedora7. When a version is removed, no new software, security releases or such are available. I'd hate to see you waste time on something that won't serve you in the future.