PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP is not booting

Snitz
7th July 2007, 01:29 PM
Hello again, I just got the Fedora Core 6 and I'm trying to boot from the dvd to be able to install it but windows XP is not booting.
I even checked the BIOS and the option of primary boot device is not there.

I'm on Windows XP Home Edition.

Please advise.

Snitz
7th July 2007, 02:12 PM
Anyone Please.

leigh123linux
7th July 2007, 02:33 PM
Try the windows forum as this isn't related to linux

if you need to select a boot up device try F8 , F9 or F11 at bios post ( It works on some mobos )

Snitz
7th July 2007, 02:39 PM
I have already entered the BIOS and most of the options are not there.

glennzo
7th July 2007, 02:42 PM
Hello again, I just got the Fedora Core 6 and I'm trying to boot from the dvd to be able to install it but windows XP is not booting.
I even checked the BIOS and the option of primary boot device is not there.

I'm on Windows XP Home Edition.

Please advise.Windows XP has nothing to do with booting from a DVD. The bios settings determine the boot devices. You need to have it set to boot from CD/DVD first.

Snitz
7th July 2007, 02:43 PM
I told you I entered the BIOS and there is no such option to set a primary boot device :S

rerushg
7th July 2007, 02:53 PM
I have already entered the BIOS and most of the options are not there.
Most of us here have probably never encountered a box that does not allow boot options in bios. Sounds like either an automatic sequence (i.e., If there's a CD or DVD in the drive it tries to boot from it.) or you've got an odd XP factory preload that locks out certain functions.
If there's a factory splash screen at post and you can get rid of it in bios, suggest you do so. Maybe there are other options that it hides.
Also suggest you post hardware specifics here and maybe someone will recognize the box and know a workaround.

leigh123linux
7th July 2007, 03:05 PM
You dont enter the bios to execute these options ( you just hit the F9 key at first bios boot )

bob
7th July 2007, 03:30 PM
So, how are you communicating now? I'm having trouble trying to figure out what's going on. You mentioned that you have downloaded FC6 but can't install it because Windows XP is not loading? Windows XP doesn't have anything to do with the install at this point.

You should have downloaded FC6, checked the sha1sum to make sure the download was accurate and then burned the .iso as an image file (not data file) by whatever burning software you use, making sure you burned it slowly to avoid errors. You should also have partitioned your drive to allow space for Fedora. Once that's done, you insert the DVD and reboot. The installer should then start, if the DVD-Rom is the first boot device. Windows won't load, since it's not involved in the process.

Now, if the DVD-Rom isn't running first and Windows XP continues to load, then the BIOS settings are not correct and somewhere there must be a switch for it. Perhaps knowing the make of the computer, motherboard or even what BIOS you're using might help us figure it out.

screwballl
7th July 2007, 04:06 PM
I suspect he burned the raw ISO file to the DVD rather than burning it as an image file... so his DVD has one big ISO file and his computer is saying "invalid boot disc" or the like...

take the DVD out and see if XP will boot fine...

also some more information about your computer (brand like HP, Dell, etc, or if custom built, the motherboard and CPU and memory and disc drive)

bob
7th July 2007, 04:11 PM
If so, this tutorial might help: http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm

Snitz
7th July 2007, 05:57 PM
I finished installing Fedora but I'm having few issues, please take a look at the following thread.
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=160205