PDA

View Full Version : First time installing on laptop

Snitz
6th July 2007, 10:45 AM
Hey there.
I finally decided to switch to a Linux distro. I first chose Ubuntu Server Edition but my friend told me that Fedora Core is much better. So I'm wondering, does Fedora come with the apache server, php, mysql and all that?
And what is the latest version of Fedora, 6 or 7?
Can I download 3rd party softwares such as photoshop or dreamweaver?

Thanks.

giulix
6th July 2007, 11:03 AM
Sure, apache, php, mysql come all at the same price and 7 is that latest and greatest :D

As for photoshop and dreamweaver, of course not!

Snitz
6th July 2007, 11:52 AM
I know photoshop and dreamweaver are not available with Fedora, but what I meant is, are there any alternatives?

InKo
6th July 2007, 01:59 PM
I know photoshop and dreamweaver are not available with Fedora, but what I meant is, are there any alternatives?

take a look at GIMP and NVU.... :)

InKo
6th July 2007, 02:03 PM
try this one:
http://www.linuxrsp.ru/win-lin-soft/table-eng.html

it is quite old but it is ok to give a short overview! ;)

Snitz
6th July 2007, 02:33 PM
Thanks guys. I'll be buying the Fedora Core 7 this weekend. Just a question, when I want to install an application should I type in a command or what? These are just basic questions, when I install Fedora, I'll be having much more questions.

giulix
6th July 2007, 02:41 PM
Why buy it ? Just download (http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora.html) it

Have a look at yum

man yum

And pup/pirut (Applications->System Tools->Software Updater -- Applications->Add/Remove Software)

Snitz
6th July 2007, 02:44 PM
I haven't installed it yet to try the yum, and I'm buying it because I can't download it on the Lebanese connection.

I just another question. I'm on Windows XP with 2 partitions C: and D:
When I'm going to install Fedora, should I format both C: and D: or just C:, or what?
At first I want to keep windows XP to test things out, if everything is ok, I'm gonna remove the winXP.
I just want to know what to do before proceeding.

cladsa
6th July 2007, 03:05 PM
I'm also pretty new at fedora ... when u start the fedora install it will give u a few options on which drive to install it. If u go for the custom layout u can select the drive on which windows is not installed for fedora.

It also installs grub for u , which is a boot loader, so when u boot up it will give u an option between XP or fedora.

Snitz
6th July 2007, 03:11 PM
Well, I don't want a boot loader as I'm going to remove XP completely but I don't want to format my drive D: as I'm going to install Fedora on C:
Would that be possible or Fedora will format everything?

fhubers
6th July 2007, 04:30 PM
You can choose which drives you want to format when you first boot - the install program (Anaconda) will work you through all that.

You may want to use FC6 instead of F7 if you have an ATI graphics card in your laptop. They have not fixed the problems with F7 and ATI yet.

Snitz
6th July 2007, 07:42 PM
But if I installed FC6, can I upgrade to FC7?

fhubers
6th July 2007, 09:55 PM
Yes you can upgrade to F7 later (note it is Fedora 7 - they dropped the "Core" for 7). If your graphics card is not an ATI card (Intel, NVIDIA, something else) then you should go ahead and install F7 now, it will be supported longer. It is just easier to do FC6 if you have an ATI video card and want to use the proprietary driver.

Snitz
7th July 2007, 08:47 AM
How do I know what kind of video card I know?
My laptop is Intel 2.0GHz Core 2 Due.

markkuk
7th July 2007, 09:13 AM
Well, I don't want a boot loader as I'm going to remove XP completely
You must have a boot loader to boot a protected-mode OS like Linux or Windows XP. Don't make the mistake of disabling the boot loader installation.

but I don't want to format my drive D: as I'm going to install Fedora on C:
Linux doesn't know anything about Windows drive letters, "C:" and "D:" are meaningless when talking about installing Fedora. If you want to remove Windows and all your data on Windows partitions, choose the "Remove all partitions on selected drives and create default layout" option in the disk partitioning (http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f7/en_US/ch-disk-partitioning.html) stage of installation.

Snitz
7th July 2007, 09:16 AM
I don't understand. I thought I can just format my drive C: where windows is installed and install Fedora on it while keeping drive D: as it is and then read it from Fedora. Can't this be done?

markkuk
7th July 2007, 09:17 AM
Look at the documentation of your machine, see the Windows Device Manager, or post the exact brand and type of the machine to the forum.

Snitz
7th July 2007, 09:26 AM
I'm on a Vectron Laptop. Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz. 1GB Ram. 128MB VGA. ACPI Multiprocessor PC.
Display Adapters: Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family.
IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers: Intel(R) 82801 GBM/GHM (ICH7-M Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C4 // Primary IDE Channel // Secondary IDE Channel
IEEE 139 Bus Host Controllers: Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller.

And these are my System Devices

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/3995/systemom7.jpg

Just please answer my question, when I first installed Ubuntu a year ago. I removed winXP from drive C: and then installed Ubuntu on it. I couldn't read Drive D: so I had to enter a command in the console to be able to read and write on drive D:
Isn't this possible with Fedora?

markkuk
7th July 2007, 10:11 AM
You originally wrote that you want to completely remove Windows, now you tell you want to actually keep one of your Windows partitions. If you have made up your mind and that's what you really want, then you should delete the partition that appears as the "C: drive" in Windows, and install Fedora in the free space created by the deletion. You can do that in the Fedora installer by choosing the "Create custom layout" option.
You can access the remaining Windows partition in Fedora, if it's formatted in NTFS you must first install the ntfs-3g package.

Snitz
7th July 2007, 10:21 AM
My drive D: is NTFS formatted. You know what? I think I found a solution for drive D:
I'll just move my files to an external harddisk and format everything, create new partitions with fedora and then drop my files on the new drive D:

I think that will work.

fhubers
9th July 2007, 01:17 PM
That actually is the easiest answer - you also answered your own question - since you have an Intel graphics adapter go ahead and install F7 - I haven't seen any reports of issues with the Intel Video card. Let us know how it goes!