PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Fedora Grub options after kernel update

av_lin
5th July 2007, 07:04 PM
Despite my better judgment, I went ahead with an extensive yum update of FC7 that included the kernel (I updated everything picked up by the the auto update feature except for kde related packages). Now GRUB shows both the old and new kernels as boot options. Is there a bug or did I click on the reboot button of the dialog box while the OS was still doing some updates (that would imply a bug too)? Or is this done on purpose, to provide access to the old kernel in case something goes wrong?

In any case, should I be worried about anything? And how do I edit the grub defaults to get rid of the option of booting with the original FC7 kernel? I have an idea from reading some blurbs here and there, but not confident to proceed. How should I go about editing the grub config file? (Or should I just not mess with it?

I wonder if when nothing is broken, no updating should be made.

Many thanks in advance.

SlowJet
5th July 2007, 07:19 PM
Relax, you are not running rawhide.
By default yum keeps 2 kernels. This is because the newer kerenl could not work on you setup so you can reboot into the older version.
Just press ESC key to see the grub list as the system loads grub or displays the kernel line.

The updates will be needed initially to get your system stable.
But there could be a problem with your system so you can download the previous package from a mirror if needed and
rpm -Uvh pkgname.rpm --oldpackage to recovery.
This will be need once in a great while for a released version.
I would do the updates once a week.

The updates-testing does not need to be done if you don't know how to fix problems or recover.

SJ

Dies
5th July 2007, 08:37 PM
Or is this done on purpose, to provide access to the old kernel in case something goes wrong?

In any case, should I be worried about anything? And how do I edit the grub defaults to get rid of the option of booting with the original FC7 kernel? I have an idea from reading some blurbs here and there, but not confident to proceed. How should I go about editing the grub config file? (Or should I just not mess with it?

I wonder if when nothing is broken, no updating should be made.

Many thanks in advance.

Yup, it's by design, just in case the new kernel doesn't agree with your system.

Nothing to be worried about.

To edit the old kernel out just do

su -
gedit /boot/grub/grub.conf

then I would recommend just commenting out the old kernel lines like

# title Fedora
# root
# kernel
# initrd

or you can just delete all those old lines it's up to you.

I wouldn't be too afraid of updating, sure sometimes an update will break something that was working perfectly but it's pretty rare and is usually fixed pretty quick.

Really just up to you though, some people get it to where they want it and then rarely update or update only things they want. Personally I see no reason to be anal about updates, I just update whenever I remember. I just wish they would have a category for security related stuff.

JamesNewbie
23rd August 2008, 04:27 PM
Thank you, I am pretty new to this stuff and was worried that I broke something when grub showed me 2 Fedora options.
But I have another question just because I am paranoid and want to make sure I got it right...
Which one is the one I want to keep? My options are:
Fedora (2.6.25.14-108.fc9.x86_64)
Fedora (2.6.25-14.fc9.x86_64)

I am guessing the first one is the newer one since it has more numbers on the end. But I just want to make sure.

And next time I do an update, will it automatically get rid of the oldest and keep just the two newest?

stoat
23rd August 2008, 06:22 PM
Which one is the one I want to keep? My options are:
Fedora (2.6.25.14-108.fc9.x86_64)
Fedora (2.6.25-14.fc9.x86_64)Hello JamesNewbie,

You don't need to worry about that. They both stay. And the newest one is booted by default.

And next time I do an update, will it automatically get rid of the oldest and keep just the two newest?Yes.