PDA

View Full Version : After F7 installation, Vista doesn't work

Frafra
4th July 2007, 03:43 PM
I've run Fedora 7 livecd x86_64, and with gparted I've resized C:. Then, I've installed Fedora, I've configured it, and I can read windows ntfs partitions correctly. When I boot Vista, I see only the green bar, but nothing happens. Gparted says that there aren't errors, but I've read that ntfs check is not supported. What could I do? My Vista is original, but I haven't the original dvd, so I can't run programs like chkdsk and similiar things. I have no floppy reader, only a dvd and sd card reader :( How can I fix my Windows system?

Thanks,
Frafra

ramasees
4th July 2007, 04:32 PM
this is one way which should work put the vista disc back in and do a repair hopefully this should repair vista i dont know the effect on grub would be but it would be easily repaired if it destroyed grub, i never do the partitions by hand vista has its own partitioner in disk management you should of just shrunk the disk in vista and then installed fedora in the free space usually its a safe bet

stoat
4th July 2007, 07:19 PM
My Vista is original, but I haven't the original dvd, so I can't run programs like chkdsk and similiar things. I have no floppy reader, only a dvd and sd card reader How can I fix my Windows system?
Try a "Last Known Good Configuration" (http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/cdb4c0dd-5698-4197-b906-d6a6d413621d1033.mspx) startup of Vista.

sentry
4th July 2007, 07:51 PM
So Vista is not working after a FC7 install???

What's the problem again?

(sorry couldn't resist)

ramasees
4th July 2007, 09:06 PM
you need to find a friend and borrow the dvd if not you can download it but i dont know about the lagal side i guess you have the serial no stuck on your machine all vista disks are the same its just the serial that decides between basic and premium so any vista disc will do

Frafra
4th July 2007, 11:19 PM
Thanks all! I've tryied all the possible things... And I've fixed it with ntfsfix. It makes a little dirty the windows partition, so windows ask if you want to repair it and... It works! :cool:

Thanks!