PDA

View Full Version : Gparted Problem :S

Elena147
4th July 2007, 03:40 PM
Hi dear fedora users.

I have a problem, and not so small :S

I was installing fedora core 7, but when i was installing it it was not detecting my cd-rom okej. no problem, I made a extra partition and put the fedora ISO on that immage, and i installed it in that way, everything was working fine.

But then, i would like to put the partition back to my windows partition, so i started up Gparted, and deleted the partition with the ISO, that worked fine, but when i was putting it together with my windows boot partition, it was giving me an error, :S

And now, i have 5 gigabite less on my hard disk, and i can't find it. so. if somboddy know how i can find it back, please give me a sign ;)

thanks for the help

Greetings

Elena

Anniedog
4th July 2007, 05:13 PM
Windows will not see linux partitions. I would suggest that the partition is in linux ext3 format or similar. You will need a third party diskmanager which will then hopefully allow you to see the missing bit and you can then format it back to ntfs.

Elena147
4th July 2007, 05:34 PM
Well, i don't know realy what you meen, but even when i startup with the live cd of Gparted, i can't see the missing part :S

Greetings

Anniedog
4th July 2007, 05:45 PM
For the installation the partition would have formated to a linux type of file system. On my dual boot if in xp I can only see the windows partitions and it would appear that I have lost 50GB. If I use paragon partition manager I can then see everything. I believe your problem is that you will need something like this to be able to see the partition and then format it back to ntfs or fat32 (windows). You may have deleted the partition but I believe it is still there just in the wrong format for you to see it. I hope that helps as I confuse myself more often than not!

ramasees
4th July 2007, 07:23 PM
Anniedog if you want to see linux partions in windows you can install explore2fs in my attachment

daneel971
4th July 2007, 09:17 PM
Hi dear fedora users.
I have a problem, and not so small :S
I was installing fedora core 7, but when i was installing it it was not detecting my cd-rom okej. no problem, I made a extra partition and put the fedora ISO on that immage, and i installed it in that way, everything was working fine.
But then, i would like to put the partition back to my windows partition, so i started up Gparted, and deleted the partition with the ISO, that worked fine, but when i was putting it together with my windows boot partition, it was giving me an error, :S
And now, i have 5 gigabite less on my hard disk, and i can't find it. so. if somboddy know how i can find it back, please give me a sign ;)
thanks for the help
Greetings
Elena
Let's start from scratch.
Can you tell us how many HD you have, if they are ata or sata, how they are connected (master, slave) and how many partitions they have?
Where (which disk, which partitions) did you install linux on?
Is the following right:
- you shrinked an exixting (NTFS?) windows partition
- then you created a new partition (FAT32? EXT3?) in the freed space
- after a successfull installation you want to restore the previous situation, giving back the space to windows

Which tools did you try and what errror messages did you receive?
Can you boot both linux and windows?

Anniedog
5th July 2007, 11:05 AM
Ramasees

You have provided me with a great bit of info. Brilliant. It is true you live and learn many thanks.