PDA

View Full Version : Believe The Disclaimer!

rsnow
4th July 2007, 01:53 PM
To anyone who is thinking about purchasing the book "Fedora 6 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux Bible, be sure to read and believe the disclaimer in the front of the book. It says:

Limit of Liability/Disclaimer of Warranty: The publisher and the author make no representations or warranties with respect to the accuracy or completeness of the contents of this work.......

So far I have found that only about half of the examples and instructions work as described. Most of what I have learned about Linux from this book is what does NOT WORK!

giulix
4th July 2007, 02:02 PM
I don't have that book. Can you make a few examples related to FC6 ?

JN4OldSchool
4th July 2007, 02:02 PM
well, without trying to rag you personaly, if there was one or maybe, at the outside, two examples that didnt work then maybe it was author error, typos, something left out, whatever...But half the book? This should be telling YOU something! Are you using Fedora 6? Are you in root when you should be a user? Did you read carefully? Something is wrong on YOUR end.

bob
4th July 2007, 02:17 PM
Also, there are other books out there plus tutorials all around the web about Fedora6 and...there's us! If you've found problems or have questions, google a bit and if you're still not clear, ask and we'll do our best to explain or point you in the right direction.

rsnow
4th July 2007, 02:29 PM
I understand your suspicions. I am (have been) reading carefully. I am trying very hard to follow the instructions exactly as written. I double check each thing I read and each thing I type. While I do admit to being new to this wonderful 'way of life' I am able to read . Also, unless you have personally used this book please do not make assumptions. As stated in my original posting I said "So far I have found that only about half of the examples and instructions work as described." I am currently on page 176. Perhaps the rest of the book will be better (one can only hope). In addition, I am not disparaging Linux. I just feel that book publishers should check more carefully and be sure what they print is accurate.

To giulix: I will try to keep a record over the next few days and post them. If the problem is me and not the book, maybe you can help me. Actually, I hope the problem is me. I can change. The book is not going to change what it says.

Last but not least: I had a fellow who is a professional programmer and who has a fair amount of experience with Linux try some of the instructions in the book and he also became frustrated with it.

bob
4th July 2007, 02:43 PM
Just a quick follow-up, but are you trying to do something in particular or get something working?

rsnow
4th July 2007, 02:46 PM
Thanks Bob. Before this gets off the point, my problem is not with fedora6. I will continue to learn from other sources. I was merely trying to warn/advise others who might be contemplating spending $$ for this book. After researching the author, I have come to believe the problem is linked to how many books he is trying to keep up to date; i.e., in one part of this book on fedora6 he makes reference to fedora4 as if that is what the book is about.

JN4OldSchool
4th July 2007, 02:58 PM
Well rsnow, in all honesty I bought "Fedora 4 unleashed" when I seriously wanted to start learning Linux and I never made it past the first few chapters. IMHO this book sucks also. There is nothing "wrong" about the material, it just isnt very clear and tends to emphasize the wrong things. I found this forum and I learned Linux! I get so much more online than I do from the books. I do NOT have the "Bible", the one you are referring to. So you are right, I cant comment on it. But I say ditch the book, quit worrying so much about "learning" Linux per-say like it was a structured class and just start using it. You will be amazed. If you use only Linux then within 2-3 weeks you will be very competent and within 6 months you should be at least a moderate to advanced user depending on how deep YOU want to go. It really is straight forward and easy once you lose the "windows mentality" and just accept Linux for what it is. It is a beautiful OS, not one without flaw, but one that can do anything you need done.

ibbo
4th July 2007, 03:25 PM
That particular book (sells at about 30 to 40 quid here and ) is rubbish for the price. Its a basic examples book that only touches on a subject and does not jump in.

For instance its LDAP section shows you how to setup an address book and nothing else. What good is that!
Your much better of using the Internet for references and examples. Its more reliable and its free.

I was not impressed with it (thankfully i was reimbursed through petty cash). If your new to Fedora or Redhat then perhaps this book is the one you need but if you know your Linux this book will annoy you to the extent that you will roll its pages up and rub them untill soft making nice toilet paper.

Ibbo

Jongi
4th July 2007, 03:29 PM
I've learnt to use Linux from the internet and forums such as this exclusively. I've never bought or used one Linux "bible". I like to think I can find my way around a far bit.

lmo
4th July 2007, 03:48 PM
I bought the book for the DVD which works great. The term "Bible" oversteps the boundries of the content by far.

Hlingler
4th July 2007, 05:22 PM
IMHO, things change so quickly these days in Linux that any printed guide book is bound to be a little outdated by the time it gets to the printer. My cousin bought me "Red Hat Fedora Linux 2 Bible" when I first got FC5 (!?), but it did help to get me started. If you would rather not pay for these books, try: http://freebookshare.com/archives/category/computer/linux/. Caveat emptor.

rsnow
4th July 2007, 09:53 PM
Hey guys(and/or gals) [Gotta be politically correct these days]

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will take your advice, comments and suggestions and develop a change in strategy. I like the idea of 'use it and learn as you go'. I will continue to read through the book and see what I can get from it in the way of a better understanding of the 'Linux Way'. At the same time I will keep trying to do things with Linux and ask for help here when necessary.

So, for now, let's consider this thread closed. Thanks again

Adesso
5th July 2007, 08:57 AM
Greeting all

Just to add my 2cents, in my experience, learning is doing, but at some point one need to get a bit of theory in to, so you can create new ideas, not just copy old ones. Linux is not a concept like Windows, but a collection of concepts, so pick the concept and buy a book on this. My favourite publisher is O'Reilly, but there is other people tha make good books to.

If you must buy a book, buy one on the core concept, instead of buying something like "Managing domain on the Internet" rather buy a book on BIND

Instead of "The Bible of Web developmnet" get a book on PHP and another on MySQL and another on CSS and another on JavaScript

If you learn the CORE concept propper, the bigger picture gets a little simpler one step at a time. There is no one book that can teach you Windows, so why are you trying to learn Fedora in one Book?

Just like bad storie books, there are bad programming books out there too, this is why I stick with OReilly, and believe me, I have also bought books that are bad, but one learn best by making the mistakes yourself..

Just a point to ponder..

Good luck on your quest....