PDA

View Full Version : launcher link with spaces will not work

terry_g
4th July 2007, 01:42 PM
I am trying to create a launcher with a link to another partition. in Fedora Core 6 I just typed in the path and it worked.This will not work in Fedora 7.
This is the address in the launcher where I want the launcher to go:
nautilus mnt/hdb1/canon photos/
The partition is mounted at boot via fstab
when i I type that address into the launcher it complains twice
"can't find /mnt/hdb1/canon"
"can't find /mnt/hdb1/canon photos"
by replacing the space between canon and photos with a dash in the launcher and adding it to the folder name as well then the launcher works
It seems that Fedora 7 has a problem with spaces in the link.
I do not want to rename all the folders with spaces in their names as this partition is shared with windows 2k and another version linux.
has anyone else ran into this problem?
Terry

stoat
4th July 2007, 02:01 PM
This is the address in the launcher where I want the launcher to go:
nautilus mnt/hdb1/canon photos/

It seems that Fedora 7 has a problem with spaces in the link.It's not really a Fedora 7 problem. It's just a Linux syntax issue. Try "escaping" the space in the path with a backslash like this...

nautilus /mnt/hdb1/canon\ photosThe space after "nautilus" does not need to be escaped.

P.S.: I didn't notice at first, but you didn't have a forward slash before "mnt". You need that, too. The forward slash at the end is okay but not necessary.

P.P.S.: There are several special characters that need to be escaped like that. For example, in launchers with wine commands, you will find yourself needing to escape the backslash itself since Windows paths use the backslash.