View Full Version : Fedora7 (x86 64 bit version) on DELL Optiplex 740

madhavansree
4th July 2007, 05:56 AM
Hi

I have DELL Optiplex 740 with the following h/w

AMD AthlonTM 64 X2 4200+
NVIDIAŽ Quadro NVS 210S
DELL E228WFP 22'' inch TFT monitor
My monitor has a max resolution of 1680 x 1050 (60 Hz)

I have following problems after installing Fedora7 (x86 64 bit version)

1. I cant select resolution more that 800 x 600
how do i set it?

2. My mouse is a DELL USB mouse, during installation , mouse was working fine
but after installation is over , mouse doesnot work
any one help me to solve it?

Thanks in advance

sree

Adesso
4th July 2007, 07:22 AM
Here is some direction ..

Update your system first.. with

yum update

This should solve most small problems...

Then have a look in the HowTO sections, plenty of help on getting your NViDIA drivers loaded via Livna..
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12

It should be fairly easy to get this puppy humming ..

Dont give up, because FC7 on KDE is a dream ..

bt_f
6th July 2007, 01:19 PM
Hello Adesso

I have the same problem as madhavansree and I was lucky that somebody gave a hint but for me it does not work. I installed all these updates with yum but the situation is the same. Is there some kind of config programm i can use after "text" login? I come from windows environment and this should be the first linux system, but I did not expect such problems...simple usb mouse and graphic card... hmmm
bt_f

Adesso
6th July 2007, 02:10 PM
There is no reall one qizard program to solve your problem, so we can only help if you tell us what you have, and what is not working.

If you have a ATI card, this might be a little difficult, but most other graphic cards should work real easy... As for mouse problems, post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file here.. then we can see, and try to solve it ..

bt_f
9th July 2007, 06:01 PM
Hello Adesso

xorg.conf was a good idea. I took another hard disk and installed SENTOS. It was working with mouse and good resolution 1280x1024. Then I compared both xorg.conf files and the only difference was under
Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "vesa"
EndSection

With vesa instaed of "nv" I can handle the mouse and have the right resolution, but I think vesa is a "minimum" standard and I won`t be able to use most of the grafic features, right?
I have a nVidia C51 / GeForce 6150 LE. Have you got a hint how to install / configure the right driver? I did not find an *.rpm onto nvidia web site.

bt_f

Adesso
10th July 2007, 08:15 AM
I am no expert when it come to installing NVIDIA drivers, but have done a couple already, with the help of some of the guys here.. FireWing seems to be an expert, so have a look at some of his stuff, it will help. What you are looking for is getting the livna repos setup, and installed... I believe this thread will help ..
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=99285&highlight=livna

if not .. check his other HOWTO'S on
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/search.php?searchid=4351485

Best of luck ..