PDA

View Full Version : A 'My Computer' Interface?

caf4926
4th July 2007, 04:55 AM
Is there a 'My Computer' type option in F7?

And no, I don't mean like Win XP.

I have been a Suse 10.2 user and have moved to F7. And so far it's great, in fact probably more stable all round.

But Suse had this, and it's just an extension of K, but the opening GUI displays all your mounted drives and partitions and their specs, processor, memory and usage stats, kde ver. and OS.. etc

Is there anything similar in F7

Firewing1
4th July 2007, 05:02 AM
I'm not sure about KDE, but in Gnome there's a 'Computer' icon on your Desktop - Is that the type of thing you're looking for?
Firewing1

Hlingler
4th July 2007, 05:39 AM
Maybe KInfoCenter? KMenu=>System=>KInfoCenter.

caf4926
4th July 2007, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I am kinda KDE only
But I have plent of room, I guess I could install Gnome and give it a look over

I am familiar with KInfocenter, it's not quite what I was getting at, but it certainly supplies all the info on the system.

Hlingler
4th July 2007, 05:07 PM
More suggestions:
Sysinfo: http://gsysinfo.sourceforge.net/project/?page_id=2
ksensors (docked) + system monitor (kicker panel applet)
gkrellm (docked): http://members.dslextreme.com/users/billw/gkrellm/gkrellm.html
lshw-gui: RPMForge/DagWiers

nspmangalore
4th July 2007, 07:07 PM
i would like to remind you that linux has a symbolic link option that allows you to create shortcuts wherever you need....

Dies
5th July 2007, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I am kinda KDE only
But I have plent of room, I guess I could install Gnome and give it a look over

I am familiar with KInfocenter, it's not quite what I was getting at, but it certainly supplies all the info on the system.

To answer your question:

No, what you are looking for is a "Suse thing".
Though I'm sure you could adapt it to Fedora since it's just a "start page" for Konqueror if I remember correctly. You could grab it off your Suse install if you still have it.

Like the previous poster suggested, just "ln -s" whatever you want quick access to into your /home. ;)