PDA

View Full Version : Which is easier to configure with default tools, Fedora or Windows?

LinuxTom
3rd July 2007, 08:58 PM
Just curious, for the first time since 2004, I reinstalled my XP-SP2 partition, I had forgotten how difficult it could be to configure to my liking using that silly regedit.

I was wondering, sans aftermarket XP tweak tools, how many of you think it's easier to set up Fedora "your way" than Windows XP?

paul matthijsse
3rd July 2007, 09:26 PM
absolutely no idea -- windows is history for me.

JN4OldSchool
3rd July 2007, 09:28 PM
guess it depends on what you need to do and on which OS you are used to. I just got a Vista laptop after 9 months of no windows and over a year and a half befor that of the same XP install, never usint that at all except to update and defrag. So I was very rusty on Win. Meanwhile, without tooting my own horn, I keep getting sharper on Linux. I learn so much by the good folks in here and by playing...Well, Vista was a bear! I got through it, I mean, I am not dumb or computer illiterate or anything, but it wasnt exactly plug and play. I had to use the rescue partition right off the bat as Vista wouldnt install itself right out of the box. Wireless wasnt fun but that wasnt Vista's fault as I added a second router to the same LAN that was configured with static IP on a DHCP modem...well, it wasnt pretty...But I greatly digress...I could make a great point for taking two computers into a third world country and presenting them to someone who had never seen a computer before, and I reckon it would actually be easier to learn to use the Linux. If anyone wants to divert this thread to arguing that I do have several reasons.

LinuxTom
3rd July 2007, 09:54 PM
I have virtually no reason to ever use Windows, but I still keep it hibernating on the spare drive. I was just amazed how convoluted it actually is to get it running, never mind the 2 hours of updates.

Jongi
3rd July 2007, 10:10 PM
I guess it really does depend on what you want to configure.

yur1022
3rd July 2007, 11:42 PM
My comparison is between Windows Vista 32bit and RHEL 5 i386 (which is very similar to FC6). Having experience with both Windows (since Windows version 1.1 in year 1985/1986?) and Redhat (since version 4, not EL4, and Unix in general since 1987), I am not a newbie in both.

Regarding what I want to configure ... Just ordinary things including simple logout (yes, you will see with Vista, it's not trivial to make shut-off button really shut off the machine), avoiding annoyance of not accepting defaults, installation of productivity tools, printer setup, customization of desktop, and others.

I definitely find Vista a lot harder and much more often frustrating ...

yur

JN4OldSchool
3rd July 2007, 11:47 PM
Lol, that durn Vista is a pain in the azz to shut down aint it? :D

Stupid microsoft...

LinuxTom
21st July 2007, 05:28 PM
Oop's I forgot to say, yep, Fedora is much less convoluted than XP, and given my one experience with Vista, way, way, way, more logical.

Guess Vista is a pain, because they can't patch all the holes, therefore they prompt you for everything.

pparks1
21st July 2007, 05:32 PM
I have virtually no reason to ever use Windows, but I still keep it hibernating on the spare drive. I was just amazed how convoluted it actually is to get it running, never mind the 2 hours of updates.
Of course, playing Devils Advocate, there are quite a huge number of updates for Fedora too when you run a yum update

As far as which is easier to setup, a lot will depend upon your hardware (unfortunately).

Dan
21st July 2007, 05:33 PM
Fedora Linux. Hands down! Not even a contest.

Dan

mobsta
22nd July 2007, 02:43 PM
Fedora for me too. I don't really do much customization with either, but XP needs so many tweaks to get to a likeable level. Just a little comment about updates, at least with Fedora updates you're not rebooting every few updates.