PDA

View Full Version : internet usage monitoring

JoeyJoJoe
3rd July 2007, 07:51 PM
Does anybody know of an easy way to monitor the amount of internet usage over an uptime period? I'm considering moving to a new broadband supplier but don't know how much usage I'd need (they seem to be saying that 8GB is a "heavy user", I'm pretty sure I'd get through that within a week - and I don't even download illegally!)

thanks,

Hlingler
3rd July 2007, 09:55 PM
If you use KDE, knemo will log internet traffic on daily, monthly, and yearly basis, if you only need rough numbers (and you can wait a while for statistics to accumulate). I think gkrellm has a similar feature....

JoeyJoJoe
3rd July 2007, 10:44 PM
I installed knemo thinking that I could run it from GNOME... but I can't find any reference to it, no man entry, no terminal starting...

can it only be run in KDE? if so.. whats the deal with that?
I might try gkremllm now

Hlingler
4th July 2007, 02:16 AM
Ahem...
If you use KDEI had to double-check because I rarely have need to know my internet traffic volume, but gkrellm does indeed have a log. If you set it up correctly, with eth0 (or whatever your connection is) on a panel, mousing-over that panel will produce a tiny button in the lower-right-hand corner, clicking that gives a pop-up window with daily/weekly/monthly stats. At least, it does on my box.

For the record, both my knemo and gkrellm stats go back to last October when I installed, and the numbers seem to be fairly close - although not as close as I would have thought - +/-5%.

JoeyJoJoe
4th July 2007, 08:48 AM
I managed to install gkrellm, it works well and it seems to have quite a few configuration options and what have you, not just for the net usage but also for temperature and other monitoring etc.

Thanks for the advice,