PDA

View Full Version : Help Please!

Logitechcam
3rd July 2007, 12:49 PM
Hi there

I just installed Vista and Fedora 7 on my laptop last weekend, but i donot feel i like vista very much. So, i am gonna reinstall XP back. If i do that, do i need to reinstall Fedora 7? or just reinstall Grub? and how to reinstall Grub? BTW, How to install MSN to Fedora 7?

Thank you

ShaunRigby
3rd July 2007, 01:18 PM
You can't roll back from Vista to XP, so the only option you have is to re-partition, re-format and re-install both operating systems.

MSN is not available for linux because it detects an invalid OS even using Wine, however there is a clone called aMSN, which can be installed using the command:

yum install amsn

Hope this helps

Logitechcam
3rd July 2007, 02:26 PM
You can't roll back from Vista to XP, so the only option you have is to re-partition, re-format and re-install both operating systems.

MSN is not available for linux because it detects an invalid OS even using Wine, however there is a clone called aMSN, which can be installed using the command:

Hope this helps

Thank you Shaunrigby

I will try the aMsn. About the Windows, Is reInstall both Operation Systems the only option for me? I can reinstall the Windows, but i do not want to reinstall the Fedora 7, it runs very well.

JN4OldSchool
3rd July 2007, 02:29 PM
I held my peace as I dont know the exact steps but you can just install XP over Vista then just reinstall Grub in the MBR. You can use this using your Fedora disc in rescue mode. The exact steps are written out in many threads in this forum, just search for reinstall grub or something to that nature.

ramasees
3rd July 2007, 03:09 PM
yes JN4OldSchool is right you just install over the vista partition then to put put back grub just run the f7 upgrade this works i have done it several times you dont need to delete or repartition anything unless you really want to

Logitechcam
3rd July 2007, 03:10 PM
I held my peace as I dont know the exact steps but you can just install XP over Vista then just reinstall Grub in the MBR. You can use this using your Fedora disc in rescue mode. The exact steps are written out in many threads in this forum, just search for reinstall grub or something to that nature.

Thank you JN4OldSchool

That is what i want to do. Thank you so much, i will try it.

Logitechcam
3rd July 2007, 03:22 PM
yes JN4OldSchool is right you just install over the vista partition then to put put back grub just run the f7 upgrade this works i have done it several times you dont need to delete or repartition anything unless you really want to

Hi ramasses

Could you plz tell me how to install Grub for F7?

thanks

Firewing1
3rd July 2007, 03:59 PM
Boot up from the F7 install/live CD and open up a terminal (Application > System Tools > Terminal). Then type:

su -
grub-install /dev/sda
Firewing1

ramasees
3rd July 2007, 04:39 PM
the way i did it was to boot from f7 dvd and instaed of install do upgrade there it gives you the choice to install new boot loader and unless you have downgraded anything it will zip through and thats it

Logitechcam
3rd July 2007, 05:01 PM
Boot up from the F7 install/live CD and open up a terminal (Application > System Tools > Terminal). Then type:

su -
grub-install /dev/sda
Firewing1

Thank you Firewing1

Logitechcam
4th July 2007, 12:29 AM

su -
grub-install /dev/sda
Firewing1

Hi firewing

i tried the method for reinstalling grub. but i got some error

i typed
1) su -
2)grub-install /dev/sda

then i got: Could not find Device For /dev/mapper/livecd-rw

Plz help, plz

JN4OldSchool
4th July 2007, 12:59 AM
Hi firewing

i tried the method for reinstalling grub. but i got some error

i typed
1) su -
2)grub-install /dev/sda

then i got: Could not find Device For /dev/mapper/livecd-rw

Plz help, plz

Do it like Ramasees said, just act like you were gonna install except selct upgrade instead.

Logitechcam
4th July 2007, 01:01 AM
Do it like Ramasees said, just act like you were gonna install except selct upgrade instead.
but i donot have the dvd, i only have the live cd, is it ok?

JN4OldSchool
4th July 2007, 01:04 AM
yeah, boot the live CD then just select the installer icon. I think this was your problem. Firewing is right but these live CDs are new to us. Just select the installer icon and go through the install EXCEPT select "upgrade" instead of "install". Thgis will leave everything alone and only replace what is missing, in your case grub.

Logitechcam
4th July 2007, 01:06 AM

There is not option like Ramasees said when i am using the Live KDE CD. What can i do now? Download a DVD, that will take more times than a reinstall F7. I hate windows vista, i have tried 3 installs, and every time, i got " windows Explorer has stopped working" error, f it! and it f my linux.

JN4OldSchool
4th July 2007, 01:12 AM
no, dont give up. Just hang loose, search the forum and wait for the next guru with an idea. Your problem is easy to fix, all you need to do is install a grub. Of course, depending on how much you are into your current install a fresh install is an option. But surely there is a way to install grub off the live CD, I just dont know how.

edit: F7 has a rescue CD here:

ftp://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/7/Fedora/i386/iso/

that might be an option for you

Logitechcam
4th July 2007, 01:14 AM
no, dont give up. Just hang loose, search the forum and wait for the next guru with an idea. Your problem is easy to fix, all you need to do is install a grub. Of course, depending on how much you are into your current install a fresh install is an option. But surely there is a way to install grub off the live CD, I just dont know how.

i trust you, i will wait. I am a newbie to linux, it was not easy for me to make everything of my laptop works. I spend 2 weeks on that, and the fking vista fked everying up. Sign.

JN4OldSchool
4th July 2007, 01:16 AM
check my last post

edit:

I got these directions for installing grub off the rescue CD from a quick forum search. This was for FC5 but it should still work.

1. Boot with the first Fedora installation CD or the DVD (the rescue CD)
2. At the boot prompt, enter linux rescue
3. Follow directions & respond to prompts (answer "No" to network)
4. When you reach the sh prompt, enter chroot /mnt/sysimage
5. At the sh prompt, enter /sbin/fdisk -l <--it's a lower-case L, not a numeral
6. Study the fdisk result to confirm which device MBR to install GRUB in. I imagine it is /dev/hda or /dev/sda, but you must confirm this. If it is not completely clear to you which device should be the target of this command, STOP. Return here and paste your fdisk result and grub.conf here. DO NOT guess at this.
7. If, for example, it is clear that XP is installed in /dev/hda then at the sh prompt enter /sbin/grub-install --recheck /dev/hda
8. At the sh prompt, enter exit
9. Enter exit again to reboot
10. Remove the CD or DVD

Logitechcam
4th July 2007, 02:09 AM
check my last post

edit:

I got these directions for installing grub off the rescue CD from a quick forum search. This was for FC5 but it should still work.

1. Boot with the first Fedora installation CD or the DVD (the rescue CD)
2. At the boot prompt, enter linux rescue
3. Follow directions & respond to prompts (answer "No" to network)
4. When you reach the sh prompt, enter chroot /mnt/sysimage
5. At the sh prompt, enter /sbin/fdisk -l <--it's a lower-case L, not a numeral
6. Study the fdisk result to confirm which device MBR to install GRUB in. I imagine it is /dev/hda or /dev/sda, but you must confirm this. If it is not completely clear to you which device should be the target of this command, STOP. Return here and paste your fdisk result and grub.conf here. DO NOT guess at this.
7. If, for example, it is clear that XP is installed in /dev/hda then at the sh prompt enter /sbin/grub-install --recheck /dev/hda
8. At the sh prompt, enter exit
9. Enter exit again to reboot
10. Remove the CD or DVD

JN4OldSchool, I LOVE U,LOL
It works, You are the man, you saved me. Thank you very very much.