PDA

View Full Version : mass font install(howdahelldoI)

schwim
3rd July 2007, 03:21 AM
Hey there guys,

got tons of fonts that I'd like to move over from the win machine, and I have a question:

IIRC, on FC 5, I simply dropped the font file in a particular directory(can't remember which now), and on restarting the DE, it was ready for use.

Can I simply drop all of my fonts in this directory and be good to go? Is there a mo' bettah way to install fonts than this?

Also, does instaling fonts impact performance? On Win, the more fonts you had, the more memory eaten by certain apps, like PSP that loaded them all at certain times.

Thanks,
json

Seve
3rd July 2007, 03:24 AM
Hello:
I believe Firewing1 has a how-to somewhere that covers it :

Don't have the link handy, however, if I find it I will post it.

Seve

Wayne
3rd July 2007, 03:25 AM
I do something similar, instead of using the msttcorefonts RPM, I have a tarball of it which includes quite a few more fonts. I just untar that into a directory, say:

/usr/share/fonts/ttfonts

and run as root:

fc-cache -v -f

This rebuilds the font database.

Wayne

schwim
3rd July 2007, 03:34 AM
Hi there guys, and thanks for the replies:

Wayne, so I can install the fonts anywhere as long as I run that command inside that directory?

Also, do I delete the fonts once installed, or do those files need to stay where they are after installation?

thanks,
json

Wayne
3rd July 2007, 03:40 AM
Hi there guys, and thanks for the replies:

Wayne, so I can install the fonts anywhere as long as I run that command inside that directory?

Also, do I delete the fonts once installed, or do those files need to stay where they are after installation?

thanks,
json

You don't have to run it within the directory, it will search under /usr/share/fonts automatically, as well as a few other directories. If you remove the fonts after running the command, they'll no longer be available :-)

If you are the only user on your system, you can instead create a hidden .fonts directory in your /home/username and run fc-cache -v -f, that way you won't have to do the whole process each time you update to a new version of Fedora.

Wayne