PDA

View Full Version : No sound in firefox

DrThomas
2nd July 2007, 11:15 PM
I have no sound in firefox on my fresh fedora installation. Sound works perfectly on any other program I try.

I've set up the livna repository and installed various plugins, including flash and mplayer. I've tested stage6.divx.com and youtube.com, both show videos but no sound.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

bob
2nd July 2007, 11:50 PM
Try typing 'alsamixer' and make sure that nothing's minimized or muted.

DrThomas
3rd July 2007, 11:58 AM
I already said everything is working perfectly, including sound. It's just firefox that doesn't work!

bob
3rd July 2007, 01:03 PM
Sorry, misread that one. Here's the only explanation and possible fix that I've found: http://nileshbansal.blogspot.com/2006/09/firefox-linux-and-audio.html

DrThomas
3rd July 2007, 02:18 PM
Im not really good at linux.. would you mind explaining what was in that fix to me? :rolleyes:

thanks

bob
3rd July 2007, 06:13 PM
Okay, let's first see if it works for you. The first thing we've got to install is the alsa-oss & it's libs:

yum install alsa-oss alsa-oss-libs

Once that's done, try opening a terminal and run firefox as:

aoss firefox

to see if the sound is fixed. If so, those instructions are to add that "aoss" command to the firefox coding and make the change permanent. We'll tackle that if the 'aoss firefox' is the fix.

DrThomas
3rd July 2007, 07:03 PM
Didn't work :(

bob
3rd July 2007, 07:16 PM
Well, at least you aren't going to be messing with codes! So, try putting "about:plugins" in the url box and see if you've got audio/mpeg; audio/x-mpeg; audio/mpeg2; audio/mpeg3; audio/mpeg4; audio/x-mpeg3; audio/wav; audio/x-wav; audio/3gpp; audio/3gpp2; ...well there's about a dozen more, ogg & realplayer etc.... but see if they're listed as 'enabled'.

writethatdown
27th August 2007, 10:36 PM
Have any solutions been found for this? I'm having the same problem as DrThomas.

I have sound in other applications (vlc, xine, soundcard detection gui) but no sound in firefox ... i'm mainly looking for sound in flash apps (google video / youtube / flash games)

nothing is muted in alsamixer

Flash animations display video w/o problems .. just no sound

about:plugins shows the following

Shockwave Flash
File name: libflashplayer.so
Shockwave Flash: 9.0 r48

MIME Type --- Description --- Suffixes --- Enabled
application/x-shockwave-flash --- Shockwave Flash --- swf --- Yes
application/futuresplash --- FutureSplash Player --- spl --- Yes

Flash Player install instructions per Mozilla plugindoc states to copy the libflashplayer.so to mozilla plugins directory which i think i have done:
$sudo find -name libflashplayer.so
./usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so (link)
./usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so
./usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.5/plugins/libflashplayer.so (link)

as well as copy flashplayer.xpt to mozilla components directory.
i could not find flashplayer.xpt anywhere on my system using a 'sudo find -name flashplayer.xpt' from /

I'm using Fedora 7 32-bit with all the latest updates on a Compaq presarios v3000z

any help is mucho appreciated

Thanks!
-Tim

writethatdown
28th August 2007, 09:23 PM
Should i create a new post .. or post in a different forum? I don't want to be accused of double posting, but this one is a month old and doesn't look like its getting any more hits ... i've been researching this issue for some time now and DrThomas's issue bears the closest resemblence to mine. Its not killing me, but i'd like to get it fixed, and get the info out there in case someone else is experiencing the same issues I am ... is this something I should report a bug about .. bugzilla or something?

Thanks for any replys!
-Tim

writethatdown
29th August 2007, 04:09 PM
For anyone who's interested, I've found a fix. I decided to uninstall and reinstall firefox via yum.

sudo yum remove firefox
removed 4 packages related to firefox (including firefox-devl, and yelp)

sudo yum install firefox
installed 1 package for firefox

rebooted and sound works in firefox now :)

hopefully this will help someone out there

hoistyler
14th September 2007, 08:36 AM
I am having the same problem here..
I can listen to music (xmms) but no sound in firefox
did anyone get around this problem?

svenkatesan
21st September 2007, 04:36 AM
For anyone who's interested, I've found a fix. I decided to uninstall and reinstall firefox via yum.

sudo yum remove firefox
removed 4 packages related to firefox (including firefox-devl, and yelp)

sudo yum install firefox
installed 1 package for firefox

rebooted and sound works in firefox now :)

hopefully this will help someone out there

This didn't work for me.

svenkatesan
21st September 2007, 02:27 PM
Read Read all the forums
This works for me.Those still could not out of wood... can try this.It works for me.
Create a file named "rc" (don't ask me why "rc", I too don't know) and save in ~/Mozilla/firefox.
Add this line in the file "rc"
FIREFOX_DSP=auto
Thats all.
Now u can see and hear youtube videos.
If u success,pl post so that others can enjoy.

SendDerek
18th November 2007, 11:14 PM
A lot of people are having a problem with PulseAudio and Flash. I put a solution for the issue on my weblog here:

http://sendderek.wordpress.com/2007/10/20/how-to-fix-the-no-sound-issue-in-firefox-flash/

It should just be installing the "libflashsupport" package that will get you up and running.
"yum install libflashsupport"

_tragic_
16th December 2007, 12:16 AM
A lot of people are having a problem with PulseAudio and Flash. I put a solution for the issue on my weblog here:

http://sendderek.wordpress.com/2007/10/20/how-to-fix-the-no-sound-issue-in-firefox-flash/

It should just be installing the "libflashsupport" package that will get you up and running.
"yum install libflashsupport"
thanks that libflashsupport worked perfectly