PDA

View Full Version : Missing Dependency: kdebase = 6:3.5.6-3.fc6 is needed by package kdebase-kdm

tomwitmer
2nd July 2007, 08:21 PM
Running 32-bit x86 FC6 with KDE environment and ran into this problem on June 29 which continues through July 2nd so far:

# yum update
[...lots of KDE pkgs...]
Missing Dependency: kdebase = 6:3.5.6-3.fc6 is needed by package kdebase-kdm

The only repos I have enabled are core, extras, updates, livna, and macromedia:

# grep -l "^enabled=1" /etc/yum.repos.d/*
/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-core.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-extras.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/livna.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/macromedia-i386.repo

I'm guessing that kdebase-kdm just needs to be recompiled and pushed out to the repositories but am not sure who/where to tickle to make that happen. Anyone else running into this?

Hlingler
2nd July 2007, 11:32 PM
I had the same problem. Apparently, kdebase-kdm has been folded into kdebase, but the kdebase that you're trying to update does not include it, so you get the error. I got around this by going to kde packaging project repo and installing the latest test release (3.5.7-1). I have never before taken a "risk" like this, but so far, so good: kdebase-3.5.7 replaced kdebase-3.5.6 and kdebase-kdm-3.5.6 at the same time - no more kdebase-kdm package, kde and kdm are running just as well as before.

tomwitmer
3rd July 2007, 12:26 AM
Sounds like a packaging bug, not that I know all that much about RPM. I've opened a bugzilla issue for it here: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=246546

Anyone else running into this or with more data to share might want to take a look at the bugzilla entry. I left it at low priority, since nothing is technically broken for me at least.

tomwitmer
5th July 2007, 03:52 PM
Yep, that pretty much solved it for me. I took a slightly different tack though; I removed kdebase-kdm and kde-settings-kdm and then did a yum update. That resulted in a lot of file conflicts, so I dropped down to RPM and used the --replace-files option to forcibly overwrite the relevant files (after making backups of course).

Only problem now is that the taskbar won't group my windows, but I can live with that for now.