2nd July 2007, 10:41 AM
Hi,
I downloaded this program;
http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php/CompTemp_Monitor

and followed instructions; I unpacked it, and did the whole
./configure
make
make install

and I'm left with a most trivial question; how do I run this program?
It's supposed to run in a gnome panel, but it's not in the list when I rightclick>add to panel...

Thanks,
Jack

lazlow
2nd July 2007, 06:24 PM
Jack

You did realize that there are cpu and disk montioring capability on a default install? Right click on pannel and hit add, it will give you a list.

1jackjack
2nd July 2007, 07:13 PM
the only thing that was close was 'system monitor' which does not do temperature monitoring, or CPU frequency scaling monitor, which is not what i want. I tried installing 'gai temp', and it gave me 1 icon with a constant reading of 0 celcius. I also tried gkrellm, but that does not go in the gnome panel... I tried ksensors, but it only detected the hdd temp, and wouldnt put the figure in the gnome panel (only in a window). Finally, I tried gnome applet sensors, which gave me 3 temperature readings (no idea which was for which), when i have 4 sensors, and the one it missed out was the most important; the one that is always highest!

woe is me.

lazlow
2nd July 2007, 07:35 PM
Jack

Once the applet is on the panel, right click on it and click on preferences. Then go to the sensors tab. This will show all the sensors that have been detected. Figuring out which is which is fairly simple. Go from idle to heavy cpu load, the one that goes from low to high (say 38 to 54) is most likely the cpu. The next fastest one to climb will be the chipset (memory) sensors. The one that moves the slowest is the case or general motherboard sensor. Sometimes one sensor can be recognized through multiple paths. It is usually fairly obvious which one to go with.

Good Luck
Lazlow

1jackjack
3rd July 2007, 12:02 PM
ok, i think i have located the CPU sensor (it went up to 62 celcius when i repeatedly opened and closed eclipse).

do you think this is the most important one to watch?

thanks

lazlow
3rd July 2007, 03:48 PM
I watch my CPU, Case, Chipset, as well as all HD. If the case is running cool and any of the others are running warm, it tells you that you are beginning to have a problem. If the case is hot you will not be able to keep anything else cool. The big thing is to watch them for a while. You get a pretty good feel for when something is getting out of line.

1jackjack
3rd July 2007, 04:17 PM
appreciated