PDA

View Full Version : Deinterlacing while ripping DVD. How?

martin.sourada
2nd July 2007, 10:21 AM
Hi all,

I've recently begun my acquaintance with MEncoder and I'd like to backup some of my DVD's using H.264 video codec and progressive scan. So the two questions are:

1. how to rip it?
2. how to deinterlace it?

well, answer to the first are MEncoder and manual pages to mplayer (and documentation to matroska, since I'd like to have it in matroska)... But what about the second? The manpages didn't give me much info about which deinterlacing filter use... Any ideas? Which is the best? Or should I rip it first and then use some other software to deinterlace it?

Thanks

daneel971
2nd July 2007, 11:52 AM
The mplayer docs (not the manpage) have an interesting section about telecined, progressive and mixed contents - and how to deal with each one of them. If the docs are not installed with the rpm, you can read them online on the mplayer site.
Also, you may want to try ogmrip (it should be in the freshrpms repo, and despite the name it can output to mkv and mp4)

martin.sourada
2nd July 2007, 12:36 PM
The mplayer docs (not the manpage) have an interesting section about telecined, progressive and mixed contents - and how to deal with each one of them. If the docs are not installed with the rpm, you can read them online on the mplayer site.
Also, you may want to try ogmrip (it should be in the freshrpms repo, and despite the name it can output to mkv and mp4)

I have the mplayer docs and mplayer manpage opened multiple times in epiphany (each time on different section)... Seems I missed this section... Will see what I can find there... Also I give a try (but not before Thursday) to the ogmrip, but not from fresh. I don't mix repos... So either livna or mine rpm... :D