PDA

View Full Version : Problems need help

JohnMichael
2nd July 2007, 01:35 AM
Problem #1 How can I clear out the kernels so that only one of them boots? It shows several kernals that were installed and I would like to clear out the old ones.

Problem #2 On the newer kernel when I hit restart the machine locks up, when I hit shutdown the machine halts. This is from both the display menu and the GUI. How can I get it to stop doing that?

Problem #3 On the only kernel choice on the menu that does make the NVIDIA driver work, the system randomly locks up at certain times. Mostly during Firefox browsing.

Any links? Answers? etc. Has anyone had this problem before or was this discussed somewhere else?

Heres my kernal choice info:

Fedora 2.6.20-2925.9.fc7xen
Fedora 2.6.21-3228.fc7
Fedora 2.6.20-2925.9.fc7xen
Fedora-Base 2.6.21-1.3194.fc7

The second partition is the only one that will work with the NVIDIA card for some reason but its also the one that locks up.

Saint Mike
2nd July 2007, 03:31 AM
i had similare issues with nvidia and the xen kernel, i tried to remove the xen kernal and had alot of issues with that too ended up reinstalling without xen.

Fedora keeps the latest and the previous kernel incase something goes wrong when you download new kernels, can always load the old one and fix stuff. its best to keep them

Looking at that you have the normal and xen(for virutlistation(rining multi OS's at once)) kernel, and the previous version of each.

You will need to install a kernel mod to each of the kernels you use to get nvidia working in all of them

kmod-nvidia and kmod-xen-nvidia(i think) you can search for them in something like yumex, not in fedora atm :(

JohnMichael
2nd July 2007, 09:28 PM
I really appreciate all of everyone's help here. I'm really not too great with this technical software programming stuff beyond HTML and Flash. However, I can't keep using Windows XP. Maintaining it is too troublesome and I can't afford a genuine copy. Not to mention I don't feel its necessary if I can get everything to run smoothly on Linux. Fedora is the only distro BTW that installed on my hard drive. It won't take Ubuntu and I actually purchased Linspire and that won't install either.

The machine was working fine under KDE until I tried to toss in the NVIDIA drivers and switched over to Gnome.

Saint Mike
3rd July 2007, 03:13 PM
Do you need visualization? eg running multi OS's at the same time ;- /

What are you booting from the grub menu? the kernel with xen in the name or one without?

Did you reinstall to get gnome and remove kde?

id think your easiest option would be to reinstall fedora but this time not installing xen n such in the visualization section when it asks you about customizing the installation

Then running this guide to get your nvidia card working
http://www.diffingo.com/blog/content/view/32/33/

Iv found getting Nvidia to work alot easier then most :)

JohnMichael
5th July 2007, 08:02 PM
I dunno if this is the problem for the random lockups:

usb 3-2: device not accepting address 2, error - 71

I've found a way to reduce it to one kernel, also I did reinstall.

glennzo
5th July 2007, 08:09 PM
Problem #1 How can I clear out the kernels so that only one of them boots? It shows several kernals that were installed and I would like to clear out the old ones.Edit the file /boot/grub/menu.lst. Use a terminal logged in as root. You can remove all but the one that you want. Be careful.

Problem #2 On the newer kernel when I hit restart the machine locks up, when I hit shutdown the machine halts. This is from both the display menu and the GUI. How can I get it to stop doing that?Glennzo shrugs his shoulders and gives you that 'I dunno' look. :eek:

On the only kernel choice on the menu that does make the NVIDIA driver work, the system randomly locks up at certain times. Mostly during Firefox browsing.Run Firefox from a terminal and there may be error messages in that terminal when Firefox screws up. There's also system logs.

JohnMichael
5th July 2007, 08:19 PM
http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/7029/screenshotol4.png

Theres the error logs. I'm not sure if any of that specifies if theres a problem or not.

Ok I have a pretty good idea that its not Firefox, nor Desktop effects. Sadly its probably a bigger problem as the system not only can randomly lock up in Firefox, but at any moment.