PDA

View Full Version : VMware disk not recognized during Fedora 5 install

SparkChaser
1st July 2007, 07:55 PM
I am NEW to Linux so I appologize in advance for the need to ask what may be a few stupid questions.

In an attempt to install Fedora 5 on my existing computer in a way that doesnt' require a dual boot, I have installed VMware server 1.0.3 and created a VM for the guest OS. I chose default options to create the VM (Linux, Red Hat Linux, Bridged, 8GB Disk entirely allocated).

When I attempted the install from DVD, I got an error message that indicated that Fedora didn't recognize a hard drive. I attempted loading a couple of different SCSI drivers and wasn't able to get the installer to see a hard disk to install an operating system on. I assume, the virtual disk needs to be partitioned and formatted but how do I do that if the Install DVD doesn't recognize that it (the virtual disk) exists?

I am sure this issue is simple but I can't figure out what to do. I have previously installed VMware on another computer, created the VM and installed Win98 successfully. While that was the first time I had used VMware, it was straight forward enough for me to feel I understood the VM concept and how to use it....

Any advise and help would be greatly appreciated. I am excited at finding out more about Linux but I really DON'T want to change my current set up to a dual boot or finding another machine to play with it on... This seems like the way to go. Any ideas?

Thanks,
SparkChaser

techmatt
1st July 2007, 09:10 PM
I had this same problem at school - you need to change the drive to IDE insead of SCSI
just remove the old drive and add a new one.

SparkChaser
4th July 2007, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the advice. Actually, I just deleted the VM that I had set up and redid it with the same options and they worked the second time. Got an install to work. Now if I can figure out how to get the VMWare tools installed I'll be golden. I opened the VMware tools icon that VMWare dropped on the Gnome desktop with the installer and it said that they were installed but everytime I start VMware, the message bar at the bottom of the VMware window says the tools are not installed....

Lee B
4th July 2007, 12:25 PM
I had this same problem at school - you need to change the drive to IDE insead of SCSI
just remove the old drive and add a new one.

Exactly what I did and it worked great.

Now to finish the move away from the dark evil Empire and join the rest of the rebellion!!!!