1st July 2007, 06:59 AM
Hi ppl
I got these messages when k3b starts up
1. No CD/DVD writer found
2. Mp3 Audio Decoder plugin not found

please help

Jongi
2nd July 2007, 12:49 AM
1- Does your CD/DVD work with other programs? Does it read DVDs? Have you got any Windows installed? Does it write there? I ask because it could be your writing lens is no longer working.

2 - yum install k3b-extras-nonfree. This requires you have livna installed as a repo. If you don't do a search for livna on these forums and you will find instruction on how to do so.

fire-fly
2nd July 2007, 06:46 AM
1- Does your CD/DVD work with other programs? Does it read DVDs? Have you got any Windows installed? Does it write there? I ask because it could be your writing lens is no longer working.

Yes, it is able to read a cd/dvd. Was able to write under Windows.

2 - yum install k3b-extras-nonfree. This requires you have livna installed as a repo. If you don't do a search for livna on these forums and you will find instruction on how to do so.x

yum -y install k3b-extras-nonfree
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
Nothing to do

Thanks

Jongi
2nd July 2007, 10:18 AM
1. So you are able to put a CD/DVD in FC7 and it will play. Is there an error message that appears when you run k3b? Describe exactly what happens from the time you startup k3b till the time you try to burn.

2. It would seem you do not have livna installed. Install the livna repo (see the fedorafaq site) and then try install the package.

fire-fly
2nd July 2007, 01:02 PM
1. So you are able to put a CD/DVD in FC7 and it will play. Is there an error message that appears when you run k3b? Describe exactly what happens from the time you startup k3b till the time you try to burn.

After upstart k3b it pops a window with messages having the following titles
1. No CD/DVD writer found
2. Mp3 Audio Decoder plugin not found

2. It would seem you do not have livna installed. Install the livna repo (see the fedorafaq site) and then try install the package.
[/QUOTE]
I try not to use livna repo. Use to have lot of compatibility issue during FC4 days.

Thanks

fire-fly
2nd July 2007, 02:26 PM

I forgot to mention I had to manually mount the cdrom, unlike the previous version (FC4) it will mount automatically.
Cheer
Fire-fly

lazlow
2nd July 2007, 06:18 PM
What repos are you using? You will need to use one of the repos to install non free software on Fedora (just like always). Livna probably has the least conflicts. Atrpms probably has the most conflicts.

There is a conflict between automount and reliable media burning (since FC4), so I would leave that alone.

Is this a fresh install or did you try to just upgrade?

fire-fly
3rd July 2007, 03:39 PM
What repos are you using? You will need to use one of the repos to install non free software on Fedora (just like always). Livna probably has the least conflicts. Atrpms probably has the most conflicts.

I been out of touch for fedora, my last version was FC4, the repos were the default. Is a fresh installation.

Can I have the syntax for "non free software" repos? "Non free software" as in $, or license ?
Thanks
Cheers
Fire-fly

lazlow
3rd July 2007, 03:55 PM
Free as in speech.

Just go here:

http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/

There is a rpm that installs the stuff for yum. Just double click on it and the rpm installer should pop up.

rgaelzer
3rd July 2007, 04:46 PM
Since we are on the k3b topic:
In FC6 k3b would run for me as normal user without complains. Now I upgraded to F7 and k3b complains about privileges:

cdrecord will be run without root privileges
cdrdao will be run without privileges

Were they changed by the upgrading process?
Does anyone remember how to set the privileges for normal users?

Thanks

fire-fly
4th July 2007, 09:15 AM
Free as in speech.

Just go here:

http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/

There is a rpm that installs the stuff for yum. Just double click on it and the rpm installer should pop up.
Thanks!! Will try later.

Jongi
4th July 2007, 10:16 AM
Since we are on the k3b topic:
In FC6 k3b would run for me as normal user without complains. Now I upgraded to F7 and k3b complains about privileges:

cdrecord will be run without root privileges
cdrdao will be run without privileges

Were they changed by the upgrading process?
Does anyone remember how to set the privileges for normal users?

Thanks

see this post (http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showpost.php?p=801631&postcount=1)

fire-fly
4th July 2007, 03:50 PM
"No CD/DVD writer found" still remains,
"Mp3 Audio Decoder plugin not found" gone.

I had the following package installed.
k3b-extras-nonfree-1.0.2-1.lvn7
k3b-1.0.1-1.fc7.2
k3b-devel-1.0.1-1.fc7.2

lazlow
4th July 2007, 06:31 PM
Fire-fly

Post your make and model of motherboard and dvd burne(maybe we can find something from that).

Open a terminal and start k3b that way. Try and start to burn dvd. Post all the stuff from the terminal (this is a good way to diagnose any app).

Stian1979
4th July 2007, 08:27 PM
I was unable to use my k3b and figured out I had installed 64bit plugins and 32bit k3b on a 64 bit system.

After I made k3b and all it's packages 64bit like the os it work well now.

I also had problems with hald not startin and aparently that resulted in my dvd rom not mounting.

fire-fly
9th July 2007, 03:18 PM
Fire-fly

Post your make and model of motherboard and dvd burne(maybe we can find something from that).

It is Asus P5VD2-MX SE

Open a terminal and start k3b that way. Try and start to burn dvd. Post all the stuff from the terminal (this is a good way to diagnose any app).
Mapping udi /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_model_DVDRW_LH_20A1P to device /dev/scd0
/dev/scd0 resolved to /dev/scd0
(K3bDevice::Device) could not open device /dev/scd0 for reading
(Permission denied)
could not open device /dev/scd0 (Permission denied)
Devices:

I am able to burn cd with nautilus ( desktop, blank cdrom)

thanks in advacne

lazlow
9th July 2007, 04:18 PM
Just as a test try running k3b as root.

Assuming it runs fine as root, take a look at the link Jongi posted in #12.

fire-fly
11th July 2007, 03:47 PM
Just as a test try running k3b as root.

Well running as root the error did not pops up, however, the rule of thumb for security is refrained from using root as much as possible. In fact k3b did sound a warning for using root account.

Assuming it runs fine as root, take a look at the link Jongi posted in #12.

I did that long time ago otherwise I am unable to burn cd with nautilus ( desktop, blank cdrom) as ordinary account login.
In fact change effective is also not advisable from security point of view.

Question here is what so special with k3b that required root login ? :(

lazlow
11th July 2007, 04:05 PM
This is about permissions not really about k3b. If you correctly changed the permission as per link in post #12 it should not be giving you the permissions error. This is probably a hal problem.