PDA

View Full Version : Download Manager

phree
30th June 2007, 07:48 PM
Hi, I am new to linux and I am trying to get all the functionality in my newly built linux machine that i do in my Windows XP machines.

So far things are going well but i am struggling to find a definitive answer on a suitable download manager, for M$ I use FlashGet.

Can anyone recommend a GUI based app that works with Linux that has the performance and functionality of FLashget?

rgds Phree

cr4ck3r
1st July 2007, 02:52 AM
How about d4x, gwget (GUI for wget).
PS: I also use FlashGet through Wine ;)

phree
2nd July 2007, 08:08 AM
Cheers cr4ck3r, I have downloaded and actualy managed to install wine, just got to work out how to work it.

Cheers again

Phree

evrens
2nd July 2007, 08:54 AM
i suggest multiget. It seems like a flashget. And also you can execute flashget with wine. If you choose this optin you have to instann wine. In terminal with su - command, if you write "yum install wine cabextract" all package will be installed to system about wine. After that you just two click flasget windows setup program.

After this process you can view flasget button under the apllication-wine :)

michaeleekk
4th July 2007, 10:31 AM
Well, Flashget can run well under wine.
If you like, you can just download the flashget from the official site and install it.
Everythings will be fine.

phree
13th July 2007, 12:58 PM
Michaeleekk, evrens, apologies for the delay in responding, i had other newbie issues with printing to resolve....done now tho :-)

I installed wine as you suggested and downloaded flashget. however when it starts the install it fails because it cannt write to the disk.

i think this might be a configuration issue. Any ideas?

rgds Phree

evrens
13th July 2007, 02:45 PM
Maybe you can install perevius version like that flashget 1.7x, wine mostly execute win98 compability programs. i suggest multiget.

QuasiMod
14th July 2007, 02:55 PM
Hi, i'm also looking for something similar to FlashGet in fedora. I've tried Downloader 4 X, KGet, MultiGet, they did'nt satisfy me.
KGet would be nice if it kept downloaded files history, or something to access downloaded files fast, if it has such feature please tell me. MultiGet seems not finished, at least version I've had, also I could'nt make it work with firefox FlashGot plugin (starts but somehow does not accept download as parameter).
I would like download manager with customizable, easy to select, categories for downloads, you just select category and it saves download to appropriate dir, file splitting, resuming of course (multiple sources would be nice, but I've rarely used this feature in flash get), downloaded file history with Open File/Open Target Folder option (or even open console), good log to display what's happening what errors occured. Integration with firefox (through flash got possibly). Also FlashGet has built in torrent support which comes very handy, but in linux i can use different torrent downloader. Running FlashGet through Wine seems somehow awkward, is'nt there a good linux native solution, or may be there are some good projects under way.

Currently I'm using DownThemAll firefox extension, works fine for me, but it has no categories, got to create separate folders and browse every time, it's ok while i'm not downloading lots in linux.

Thanks, any suggestions & news are welcome

evrens
14th July 2007, 03:34 PM
Ok. I installaed flashget via wine. And also flasgot. It works fine. Flashget version 1.90 and wine emulated windows vista selected.

phree
14th July 2007, 05:41 PM
Evrens, how do i uninstall wine so i can do a fresh install?. then what did you do to wine once it installed, did you configure it in some way?

cheers Phree

phree
14th July 2007, 06:27 PM
Right, I managed to work out how to uninstall wine. i have reinsalled it and bingo, flashget now installs. Not sure what the problem is but its workng now.

cheers guys

Phree