PDA

View Full Version : New CNN News Video With Firefox

zenarcher
30th June 2007, 06:58 PM
CNN News, http://www.cnn.com/ a few minutes ago, changed from their old format to the new format. With their old format, news videos played perfectly using the MPlayer plugin. Not such luck with their new format. While their new format was in Beta stage, I could not watch the videos, but could do so going back to the old format. Now, the old format appears to be gone.

Attempting to open any video, I merely get a black screen in the video box and nothing more. I know they were having some issues with Firefox, while in Beta development, but now, with no choice, I'm wondering if it's just me, or if there is a problem with the new CNN website. I have tried with both SUSE 10.2 and with Fedora 7 and have the same problem. I tried with a Windows computer using Internet Explorer and the videos play. But, no luck with Windows XP and Firefox, either.

Has anyone else experienced the problem of have any ideas where the problem may lie or if there is a way to get around it?

Thanks,
zenarcher

Gnafu the Great
30th June 2007, 07:30 PM
I tried it in IEs4Linux, IE6, and the whole page flickered the entire time, though the video did play with audio. But yeah, not in Firefox.

John the train
30th June 2007, 07:34 PM
I just took a look using Firefox in SAM Linux, as you report, black screen, but I did notice that ' live video - coming soon ' above the screen was greyed out, possibly they've launched the new look site before the video is sorted?

Seve
30th June 2007, 07:57 PM
Hello:
I'm not sure there is an actual stream associated with the video, dunno could be wrong ?
See the attached :

This does appear after some wait, then what you would expect to happen, with respect to some network activity never appears ???
If I hit the play button, the black screen appears.

Seve

zenarcher
30th June 2007, 09:08 PM
Thanks much for the reports. You have all experienced the same thing that I'm finding. I also saw the grayed out Live Video coming but it does seem to work with Internet Explorer. Like you, Seve....some of the videos do bring up one picture and you would expect it to play from there, but it does not. I'm guessing that it's a CNN issue, with is too bad, as it is one of my primary news websites.

I suppose I will try taking the matter up with CNN, as I'll switch news sites before I switch browers and operating systems. I have one system here with Windows XP and IE on it...which I really don't use online...it's just one my wife uses for playing a couple of games she likes. The only time it's used online is for updates on my Garmin GPS, which cannot be done by any other method.

Thanks again to all who tried.

Cheers,
zenarcher

bharat211
1st July 2007, 02:57 AM
I tried to play the cnn.com video on both firefox and safari on my Mac OS X and found a black screen when pushed play. The same thing on my linux box as well. So, it seems there is something sinister going on on cnn.com's website and the problem isn't limited to fedora linux.

Jongi
1st July 2007, 07:31 AM
has anyone tried it on XP and Firefox? or XP and IE?

zenarcher
1st July 2007, 10:35 AM
Yes, it seems to work with XP using IE or Firefox. I tried it on a machine using XP and IE and the videos play fine. I believe a few other people found that same experience.

Cheers,
zenarcher

sdowney717
1st July 2007, 12:02 PM
works great on microsoft windows xp.

It does not work anymore with linux. I tried it on Ubuntu.

If I right click the video screen, I get the flash menu.

Fox news required a grease monkey script to work with the flash player.
And it could be the same thing here

sdowney717
1st July 2007, 12:12 PM
To watch fox news you need grease monkey.

http://www.foxnews.com/video/index.html

http://www.greasespot.net/

script here for fox news
http://vlajbert.blogspot.com/

Iron_Mike
1st July 2007, 01:34 PM
Foxnews has always been borked, ie need grease monkey, But the new cnn.com format is borked too.....

sideways
1st July 2007, 03:52 PM
Someone over on the ubuntu forums found a simple solution

Install the User Agent Switcher (http://chrispederick.com/work/user-agent-switcher/) extension for firefox and select Netscape 4.8 as the user agent. I tested this, it works in F7 with latest Firefox update (2.0.0.4)

zenarcher
1st July 2007, 09:05 PM
Sideways, you found the solution! I installed the User Agent Switcher Extension in Firefox, switched to the Netscape setting and the videos play perfectly on CNN News! Works great with Firefox and SUSE 10.2, as well. Thanks so very much for your effort!

Cheers,
zenarcher

sideways
1st July 2007, 09:11 PM
Thanks, but I just got it from a thread on ubuntu forums.

The user agent gets reset when you restart firefox (the faq says this is a requirement to avoid a bug with firefox starting up), so you need to remember to switch every time you restart firefox and visit the cnn site.

zenarcher
1st July 2007, 09:28 PM
Yes, I discovered you do have to reset any time you close and reopen Firefox. Thanks for the explanation. At least the videos are working now and with a relatively simple workaround. I have also posted the workaround on the CNN Blog, so perhaps that will help other people posting there with the same issue. Likewise, perhaps it will motivate the CNN people to do something to correct the problem.

Cheers,
zenarcher

RussellEast
3rd July 2007, 10:09 PM
When I try clicking the "Live Video" link, I get a new window showing "BETA Live Video from CNN.com" with Flash controls - I assume all this is expected. With the User Agent set for "Netscape 4", nothing happens for maybe 10 seconds, then there is the following message shown in the place where the video should be:

!
PLUGIN ERROR:
Oops! You need Turner Media Plugin to view this video. Download it now.
Please restart your browser after the plugin is installed

Is that something new?

RussellEast
3rd July 2007, 10:15 PM
forgot to add: Fedora 7, Firefox 2.0.0.4 with User Agent Switcher
on Dell M70 laptop

sideways
3rd July 2007, 10:27 PM
When I try clicking the "Live Video" link, I get a new window showing "BETA Live Video from CNN.com" with Flash controls - I assume all this is expected. With the User Agent set for "Netscape 4", nothing happens for maybe 10 seconds, then there is the following message shown in the place where the video should be:

!
PLUGIN ERROR:
Oops! You need Turner Media Plugin to view this video. Download it now.
Please restart your browser after the plugin is installed

Is that something new?

Yup, same error here, I have never heard or the "Turner Media Plugin", will investigate later.

Note: This is is a problem with the new (beta) live video feed, not with the recorded news videos.

RussellEast
3rd July 2007, 10:35 PM
right, with the User Agent Switcher set, I can view the recorded videos ok as well.

Btw, the link for the "live video plugin" is an EXE file... :-(

John the train
4th July 2007, 09:20 AM
This may throw some light on the Turner Media plug-in reference http://www.pluginz.com/news/732

sideways
10th July 2007, 12:22 AM
The User Agent Switcher seems to no longer be required to view recorded videos, it works fine for me since yesterday without the extension enabled

No luck with the live feed though, that Turner Media Plugin appears not to work in Fedora.

If anyone makes progress, please post.

sebastien.worms
11th July 2007, 03:25 AM
I know it's not really useful , but I have the same problem...
I keep searching...

anyway, thanks for the answers about how to make the videos work :)
and for me the same, it works without agent switcher now :)

Just little curiosity question: do you know how does agent switcher works? does it have the "kernel" of the proposed browsers available, or does it just fakes it by changing some variables?

sideways
13th July 2007, 02:37 PM
Just little curiosity question: do you know how does agent switcher works? does it have the "kernel" of the proposed browsers available, or does it just fakes it by changing some variables?

it just changes the HTTP_USER_AGENT string which some sites (eg lots of video sites) use to determine how to provide (or not provide) content. CNN must have updated their site to allow firefox in linux, unfortunately the live stream still don't work.

http://www.ryan.net/fakeMSIE.html

JohnVV
13th July 2007, 08:52 PM
The cnn videos are working for me fedora 6 and Mozilla SeaMonkey / with mplayer plugin
the live dose not work( .swf) but the other vids are flash