PDA

View Full Version : GNOME-Bluetooth GUI

alberbyte
30th June 2007, 09:41 AM
Maybe this is a silly question...I'm sorry if it is but I'm quite new to the bluetooth under linux...

I'm trying to find the gnome-bluetooth user interface to scan for devices and connect to them. The problem is that I can't launch a graphical interface for gnome-bluetooth. It seems to work and I have a tray icon with the bluetooth symbol, but don't know how to scan or find devices. I've seen many pictures about gnome-bluetooth graphical interface but don't know if it is present under F7. :confused:

Thanks i advance.

jtang613
30th June 2007, 01:10 PM
The GnomeBluetoothManager currently included in Fedora is all the Bluetooth GUI there is so far. The screenshots at:
http://live.gnome.org/BluetoothManager
Reflect work in progress. Look for the sharing and device list functionality to be integrated by Fedora 8.

Until then, the files in /etc/bluetooth contain your BT config. And the following tools are handy:
hcitool
hciconfig
sdptool

To find your local BT adapter:

/usr/bin/hcitool dev
The above command will return a device name and ID. The ID is usually hci0

To find pairable BT devices, make sure they are configured to accept connections, then:

/usr/bin/hcitool scan
The above command will search for and display a list of pairable BT device addresses and names.

To determine what capabilities your devices support, use the following command, replace [dev_addr] with one from the previous scan command:

/usr/bin/sdptool browse [dev_addr]

Sometimes your BT adapter falls asleep and needs to be woken up before the above commands will work. In that situation, use the following command:

/usr/sbin/hciconfig hci0 reset

BTW: you also need to install the 'bluez-utils' package and 'su -' to root to run some tools. Also, some BT tools are located in /usr/bin and some are in /usr/sbin.

Hope this helps,
Jason