PDA

View Full Version : Package Updater Error

Marada
30th June 2007, 04:15 AM
I just put Fedora on my computer for the first time a few days ago. When i recieved the prompt to update the packages, i did so, but at the final stages i recieved this message
--------------
Error Updating Software
---
There were errors encountered in trying to update the software you selected
---
('file /usr/bin/gaim conflicts between attempted installs of pidgin-2.0.2-3.fc6.1 and gaim-2.0.0-0.31.beta6.fc6', (6, '/usr/bin/gaim', 0L))
--------------------------

BillT440
30th June 2007, 05:01 AM
ok, pretty easy. rpm -e gaim before doing your package update. Just take notice of any files being saved as filename.rpmsave. You might want to move them back into place depending on the modifications you made, but it should a painless process. When you're finished doing your updates, re-install gaim or pidgin or whatever it is called in your repositories.

The cause of your problem is just due to the name of the package. not the file name on disk, but the name in the RPM header.

BillT440
30th June 2007, 05:02 AM
By the way, thanks for checking Fedora out :) I hope you stay with us.

Hlingler
30th June 2007, 05:56 AM
I assume you're using an automatic update? You can manually update, and avoid this conflict, by opening a terminal (as root user) and type:
yum --exclude=gaim* updateSee also: http://forum.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=156983 for the detailed explanation.

And welcome to the world of Fedora!

Marada
30th June 2007, 06:54 AM
Hlinger, i will try that now, i appreciate the help all.....

Marada
12th July 2007, 07:33 AM
[Marada@localhost ~]$ rpm -e gaim

error: can't create transaction lock on /var/lib/rpm/__db.000

This is still a problem. What do i do now?

Hlingler
12th July 2007, 05:15 PM
Do you have an automatic update running? Is there another yum/kyum/yumex/rpm program running already? If yes, WAIT for it to finish, then try again. If not, your rpm database has somehow become corrupted. Follow the steps to rebuild it here:
http://www.rpm.org/hintskinks/repairdb/

Summary: close all running yum/kyum/yumex/rpm programs; then at CLI, as root, type:
rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*and answer y to any prompts to proceed. Then:
rpm -vv --rebuilddbto rebuild the database. WAIT for the rebuild to finish - it may be a long procedure.

Good Luck,
Vince

EDITED for clarity/completeness.

PabloTwo
12th July 2007, 05:47 PM
For what it's worth dept.

The root of this problem is due to the fact that GAIM is no longer. It has been replaced with PIDGIN. The "aim" in "gaim" stands for Aol Instant Messenger.

AOL sued Redhat/Fedora over copywrited code in Gaim and won. Redhat/Fedora either revised the code in Gaim to be non-copywrite infringing or went with another, open source IM program. Either way, Pidgin is now the default IM client in Fedora. You can no longer yum install gaim, it's gone. There is also a version of pidgin for Windoze ..same functionality, look and feel.

If you did a yum update of gaim/pidgin right after the transition, it went smoothly, uninstalling gaim and installing pidgin in it's place. It seems that for some folks coming in after the fact are running into this snafu. This is the second recent instance posted on this forum where pidgin wouldn't install due to gaim being installed.

Paul

Marada
12th July 2007, 09:49 PM
So should i attempt to wipe gaim off the computer? If so , how could i do that while not affecting other files?

Marada
12th July 2007, 09:54 PM
Hmm, HLinger, this came up when i used the first command you gave me...

rm: cannot remove `/var/lib/rpm/__db.001': Permission denied
rm: cannot remove `/var/lib/rpm/__db.002': Permission denied
rm: cannot remove `/var/lib/rpm/__db.003': Permission denied

shuld i just go ahead and get a fresh fedora download ?

BillT440
12th July 2007, 09:56 PM
wipe the gaim off with rpm -e gaim AS ROOT USER or using sudo. Then, install the pidgin or whatever it is now. The trans lock err you received is because your account does not have perms on the RPM databse.

Hlingler
12th July 2007, 10:00 PM
Do what Bill440 said first. If you have problems with that, then we'll try something else.

Marada
13th July 2007, 06:06 AM
OK i will try that now thanks for all the help

Marada
13th July 2007, 01:59 PM
K, i did what bill said. now, because i am a complete linux noob, i present you all with another problem at the end of the package updater

elfutils-libelf conflicts with elfutils-libelf-devel > 0.123-1.fc6

what now?

PabloTwo
13th July 2007, 05:05 PM
To help see where you stand with elfutils-et-all, try this command, as root, of course:

rpm -qa | grep -i elfutils

On my machine, the results of that are:

$ sudo rpm -qa | grep -i elfutils
elfutils-libelf-0.128-2.fc6
elfutils-libelf-devel-0.128-2.fc6
elfutils-libs-0.128-2.fc6
elfutils-0.128-2.fc6
elfutils-libelf-devel-static-0.128-2.fc6

This will show you which of the elfutils items are currently installed, and more importantly, which version each is. I'm suspecting you possibly have a version conflict. If, in your results, you find that any of the versions don't match, you can do one of several things to remedy that situation.

In the case that you might find one or more elfutis* items with a lower version number than the others, then:

rpm -e elfutils-<packagename-with-lower-version-number >
yum -y install elfutils-<whatever>

Do not include version numbers, just the pacage name(s)
You can include multiple package names on the same command line, separated by spaces.

Or, you could just try:

yum update elfutils-<packagename-with-lower-version-number >

Again, do not include version number, just the package name.

I hope this helps at getting you updated.

Paul

Hlingler
13th July 2007, 06:36 PM
Or even better, simply remove elfutils-libelf-devel:
yum remove elfutils-libelf-develelfutils-libelf-devel is a development package which you do not need, unless you plan to build your own packages. You can always re-install it later, if needed. NOTE: removing elfutils-libelf-devel will also remove elfutils-libelf-devel-static, which is perfectly fine; enter y or yes if asked to approve the removal of these two packages; enter n or no if asked to remove anything else, then post back here.

You must run these commands as root user.

Marada
14th July 2007, 03:14 AM
finally it is all fixed! thank you all for your support and putting up with my extreme linux noobiness. once i can figure out how to run fedora i hope i can become a more helpful member of the community

Hlingler
14th July 2007, 05:11 AM
marada: I'm glad that everything worked out. Good luck, and welcome again to the Wonderful World of Fedora. :D

BillT440: Your advice was better than mine from the start. Sorry if I stepped on your toes.... :(

meshellwm: I am not an administrator of this forum, but I would suggest that you start a brand new thread to ask your question - marada started this thread to get an answer to his question, and very few people will see your post because it is buried at the end of this thread. :eek: