PDA

View Full Version : every update costs me about 300MB

pepe123
28th June 2007, 08:10 PM
hi
I noticed that my free space shrinks with about ~300MB after a bigger update. i'm sure this has something to do with caching. so can I clear/delete the old packages (the cached ones) and just leave the updated new ones? And where are they cached?

ramasees
28th June 2007, 08:16 PM
this might help a bit

su
yum clean all

William Haller
28th June 2007, 08:20 PM
Cached in /var/cache/yum/*/packages.

pepe123
28th June 2007, 08:42 PM
i just updated to kde3.5.7 and it took me extra 300mb (standard update). I can't believe that I've downloaded about 300Mb for 10 min with my internet connection. i tried *yum clean all* but I got only 15MB.
I know the new packages can be bigger than the old ones but when updating (removing old and applying new ones) there shouldn't be such a big difference in the free space. is there the possibility that some of the old packages are still somewhere on the HDD?

marko
21st July 2012, 09:00 PM
I know this is really old but this was not answered here. The most likely cause of this is that the 'keepcache' is set to 1 (which is the default according to the manual page for yum.conf). This means that rpm files are retained, you can stop that by putting in the /etc/yum.conf file:

keepcache=0files will not be retained after that. It also seems that the manual page says that only installation of packages and headers are cached, so this doesn't explain losing disk space when only doing updates.