PDA

View Full Version : Linux Compatible Hardware Recommendations

jflesher
21st June 2007, 04:06 PM
Is there a site or thread that list compatible hardware for Linux? I'm sure there is or should be; it would be nice to post a sticky with this information; I have an NVIDIA on-board video card; its a pain to get it working right and like so many others I wouldn't have bought it if I had know that; finding the best hardware for Linux shouldn't be a guessing game; many users want to know which hardware has open source drivers, which ones install without problems; what runs better Intel or AMD; which 64 bit CPU is best for Linux; which motherboard, video card, hard drive, DVD and RAM to use; the list goes on. If you have any links I'm sure we would all benefit from them; I've been searching for a good source; I found linuxhardware.org, linuxquestions.org, linux-drivers.org and linux-tested.com to name a few; but I was hoping for more useful information to help me make a decision; a chart with performance ratings I can relate to; driver issues; best to worse ratings.

glennzo
21st June 2007, 05:28 PM
http://www.linuxcompatible.org/compatibility.html
http://www.linux-tested.com/
Two of many I found with a quick Google (www.google.com) search. Try Google Linux (www.google.com/linux) also.

JN4OldSchool
21st June 2007, 05:48 PM
"onboard" video means it is a chip on your motherboard. From your description you have an AGP or PCI-E card? nVidia is the best bet, your only other real choice is ATI. Just install the nVidia driver from Livna. It isnt a big deal once you have done it once or twice. Just par for the course. As far as any other hardware, it is actually pretty rare you find something that WONT work with Linux. There are a few printers, of course win-modems suck. Some scanners have what is called a win-socket that also wont work. The creative X-FI card still doesnt have a driver...but these are few and far between. A little homework before you buy something pays off and you will always have a few choices available no matter the perhiperal.

jflesher
22nd June 2007, 06:12 PM
I have a ASUS A8N-VM CSM with a 4400 and M2NPV-VM with a 5200 both dual core with 2 GB RAM and on board NVIDIA 6150; running F7 64; I'm running the Livna drivers; I couldn't find a driver that really worked for FC7 test 4 so I installed the NVIDIA driver (knowing about the library overwrites); when F7 released things weren't too much better; I un-installed it and loaded the Livna drivers when they came out; but still can't get my software mouse cursor to work unless boot init 3 and startx; also I'm running the 100.14.09 driver; I did try others... 96xx, 97xx; had out of sync problems; but not with this driver.

jflesher
22nd June 2007, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the links; I've been into computers over 30 years now; been a computer programmer from the beginning; somethings never change; hardware and software wars; being a disabled gulf war vet I can tell you that no war is without its cost. I'm still looking for the ultimate hardware and software to run; I want the best programming tools and a good chair to sit in and a good monitor to stair at; not much to ask for is it? I think I'll start yet another web site geared at just that.

zenarcher
22nd June 2007, 07:53 PM
I don't know if it will help or not, but Nvidia just released a new driver update....100.14.11, if I recall correctly.

Cheers,
zenarcher