PDA

View Full Version : Awesome free FPS game: Urban Terror 4.0

critofur
21st June 2007, 03:28 AM
One of the best games of all time, now completely free and there's a Linux version :D

http://www.urbanterror.net

I had to google to find ioUrbanTerror1.0.zip (the link on the UrT page was broken)

Some new FPS have better graphics, but I don't think any other FPS games have matched the gameplay of UrT. :cool:

I know it's been out for a little while, but until now I'd just been fiddling with Linux, today I finally decided to switch to Linux (F7) as my "main" PC. When I saw the outrageous prices Micro$oft was going to charge for Vista "Ultimate" (who wants one of the other crippled versions w/missing features?) it pissed me off enough that I declared "I'll just switch to Linux, f@#k those prices. Well, I wasn't really sure if those words were more than just hot air, but now I've made the switch and I'm happy with it. I just had to get UrT installed and test it out to be sure.

Now I wonder if Adobe Premiere Pro runs under WINE....

brunson
21st June 2007, 03:41 AM
I played a lot of Urban Terror back when it was just a mod for Quake III. It rocks, when I get my Nvidia drivers working again, I'll have to try it out.

sameeh
21st June 2007, 04:31 AM
im waiting for ATI to provide the next version of its drivers :(

giulix
21st June 2007, 09:44 AM
Now I wonder if Adobe Premiere Pro runs under WINE....

Apparently, so&so (http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iAppId=128)

ghell
21st June 2007, 04:13 PM
Micro$oft was going to charge for Vista "Ultimate" (who wants one of the other crippled versions w/missing features?) it pissed me off enough that I declared "I'll just switch to Linux, f@#k those prices.
I got Ultimate x64 OEM for 96 and now wish I had got business (73) or home premium (58).

Home Premium seems to be mainly oriented at media centre (which I don't want) or hooking it up to an XBox360 (which I don't have) etc but now that I have used aero in ultimate I find it pretty painful to use the basic interface, the difference is more than just aesthetic, the nagging little differences in features just make you want aero back, so the only reason I would get Home Premium is for aero. At 12 difference more than basic (46) I think home premium is probably worth it.

Business has "better networking" but I haven't actually found anything different yet.

Ultimate, it turns out, provides nothing really worthwhile unless you want these mysterious networking features of business and have an xbox360 at the same time. I don't use bitlocker, ultimate extras are just crap like installing other languages for the ui and it says somewhere you can run unix code somehow (or something like that) but I can't work out how.

At least 64bit is becoming more widely supported under windows by vendors since vista's release :)

Anyway, my point is that you can use vista just as well without ultimate, and you don't have to pay the 300 price tag for vista if you can legally get an oem copy. :)

Not that it's a bad thing that fedora is now your main OS, but windows has its uses too ;)

critofur
10th July 2007, 06:20 PM
I got Ultimate x64 OEM for 96 and now wish I had got business (73) or home premium (58)....

...Ultimate, it turns out, provides nothing really worthwhile unless you want these mysterious networking features of business and have an xbox360 at the same time. I don't use bitlocker, ultimate extras are just crap like installing other languages for the ui and it says somewhere you can run unix code somehow (or something like that) but I can't work out how.

At least 64bit is becoming more widely supported under windows by vendors since vista's release :)

Anyway, my point is that you can use vista just as well without ultimate, and you don't have to pay the 300 price tag for vista if you can legally get an oem copy. :)

Not that it's a bad thing that fedora is now your main OS, but windows has its uses too ;)
I just finally switched my fastest video card (EVGA 7900GT KO) from my Windows system over to this Fedora 7 system and put the Fedora system under my desk in place of the previous "main" system which will now be relegated to the "secondary" work area with the smaller monitor. :P at Windows!

Now all of my game playing (Mostly Urban Terror 4.0) will be done under Linux (and Wine).

If that's true (about the other languages) that would mean I'd have to buy Ultimate just to install Japanese, which already comes with XP? And if the "mysterious networking features" are like XP Home vs XP Pro, where you can't disable "simplified networking" in the Home version, that would be pretty crappy too! There is a lot of software that simply won't work with a "limited" user account (which is the type any non-expert PC user should use) without being able to turn off "simplified networking" to set some security features/tweak stuff.

And, next time I have to re-"activate" Vista (it came with my laptop) it's going to be really annoying having to type in, then read to the phone rep, then re-type in on my PC those stupid long 52? digit codes. Microsoft should pay us for the time we have to waste with their "activation" hassle. It was a REAL pain in the ass when I was working as PC tech doing OS re-installs for customers. Microsoft really deserves a swift kick in the rear for putting us techs through all that. If I work as a PC tech again I'll just recommend Linux to all my customers. I'm sure a lot of them would switch when they find out it's free AND it doesn't get hosed by viruses and spyware nearly as much.

ghell
10th July 2007, 06:49 PM
I don't know about the languages thing, what it actually does, but there are languages in the ultimate pack. Obviously if you buy it in Japan you would get it in Japanese, you might need to get ultimate to switch a Japanese copy to Russian, for example, though. This is something you can't do in XP at all (if you have a Dutch version of XP, for example, there's no way AFAIK to change it to say things like "My Computer" rather than "Mijn Computer" or change the "Start" on the start button to whatever it is in Dutch, or change the directory to "Documents and Settings" etc) This is all just assumptions and I have not tried any of it, I can't think what else those ultimate extra language packs would be though, you can already change the input method etc so it must be something more substantial than that.

I don't know what the networking features are, my brother has vista home premium x64 and he seemingly has all the same features as me, including advanced settings etc. Maybe it is something to do with more advanced VPNs or non windows networks or something, I have no idea.

Yea, reactivating is a complete pain in the arse. Whoever invented the "enter a 42 digit number then type in the 42 digit number I give you back" is just an idiot. After the robot on the phone didn't accept my number I had to say the first 6 and the last 6 digits again to an actual person. I just replaced my motherboard and ended up having to reactivate vista and reinstall every single driver because it thought it was a completely new machine. It was so bad that without the new nforce driver I couldn't actually shut down the machine (it shut down everything but didn't cut the power to the motherboard, think "it is now safe to turn off your computer" but without the actual writing). At least they didn't put me on hold for an hour like most call centres do though, I was straight through to a person (not even an Indian person) after the robot failed me. It also only took about 3 minutes.

I'm sure pretty much none of them would switch, great as linux is. People just don't like change, and linux (even ubuntu) is just too hard to use for most users, and has limited support for a lot of new hardware. Tell someone who likes decent games that linux is free but they can't use dual graphics cards or xfi and almost no games will run, and they won't switch.

Anyway, lets not turn this into a "reasons that windows is more popular than linux, even though linux has its advantages too" thread :)

critofur
10th July 2007, 07:08 PM
Well I love games and I switched to Linux. (granted, we have at least 5 other PCs in the house with various versions of Windows, so it's not like I'm 100% "Windows free" yet...)

I'm somewhat considering whether I want to put Linux on the laptop I just got, but it's my only machine w/Vista and I feel like I should know Vista since I'm the "PC expert", and I don't have any spare SATA notebook HDs, or else I would take the one that came with it out and put another one in to run Linux.

Surely there must be tens of thousands of Windows users who are just as sick of Windows as they are of George Bush. One lady's PC I looked at had over 400 spyware infestations and was almost impossible to use it was so bogged down. When you start getting people on the verge of taking a sledgehammer to their PC (or just throwing it in the trash), I bet a lot of them really would switch, if someone they knew, and knew was good with computers, helped them do it.

For my mom, Windows is "hard" to use, I don't think the recent distros of Linux would be any harder to USE, the key is that she wouldn't be doing any system administration activities herself, she would just be a "user". Heck, I bet some versions of Linux desktops look even more like Windows XP than Vista does?

I wonder why more people aren't trying Urban Terror? It really is great, even if it wasn't a FREE game, I can't think of any game that I've purchased (since Quake 3) that I've gotten as much enjoyment from.

twn250
10th July 2007, 09:56 PM
Thanks Critofur, for the tip about this game.
Works great on my Fedora 7 box, :)
I use the install script from this page: http://www.forums.urbanterror.net/index.php/topic,8165.0.html

Happy gaming :)

ghell
11th July 2007, 12:07 AM
I had a little looksy at urban terror but it didn't really seem that great and was a bit of a pain to get working (I didn't use that install script though). IMO it's not really up to the standards of most of the games I play on windows such as supreme commander, c&c 3, prey (does prey work on linux? I know it's based on a heavily modified doom 3 engine) etc. For some reason I always have problems getting FPS games to run on linux (that haskell game frag worked though), no idea why.

I tricked a complete novice into using ubuntu a few months ago. It was a really old Compaq Deskpro 500 (as in 500Mhz, 64MiB ram, etc) that I could have either put windows 98 on or ubuntu. I put ubuntu breezy on and upgraded to dapper (edgy and higher won't work with it's es1869f audio chip) and made it look as much like windows as I possibly could. The user is so bad with computers they seem to think it is either XP or Vista, but all they do is use a word processor, web browser and audio player anyway (it's for use in a school to teach English to foreign kids)

Its the little things that tend to throw people off with linux I find. For example putting a USB pen drive in (auto mounts), then taking it out (auto umounts) then putting it back in (nothing.. where has it gone?) on a set of fc4 machines I used a little over a year ago. If I didn't know what I was doing I might be tempted to think that the usb flash drive was broken, the operating system was broken or just restart the computer to get it to work each time, rather than just manually mounting it.

I think people should keep linux simple but usable. When I install a new machine I don't want to have 3 or 4 multimedia players installed by default, for example. It seems a lot of distros (particularly fedora) seem to do this kind of thing to show off the range of software, to attract new users. The good thing about F7 is that people can take matters into their own hands and do things like remove all unnecessary software from even being on the installation disk in the first place. This means that when I put linux on people's computers, it generally runs much more smoothly (which they like) and is very simple to use (which, again, they like), but still has all the power of linux. I find that with just one graphical text editor, one multimedia player, a web browser, email client and an optional simple office suite plus the knowledge that they can install other things that they might want later like the gimp, people seem to accept it more readily... until they actually have to do something other than simply run these programs of course.