PDA

View Full Version : Logical Volume Management error

homey43
20th June 2007, 06:36 AM
hi

i'm trying to resize my primary logical partition using the Logical Volume Management tool. once i've specified the changes i desire in the "Edit Properties" dialogue and attempt to proceed with the changes, i get the following error dialogue:
################################################## ######################################
umount command failed. Command attempted: "/bin/umount /" - System Error Message: umount: /: device is busy
umount: /: device is busy
################################################## ######################################

for what it's worth, i even tried doing this after a fresh reboot... no joy. anybody have any clue what this is indicative of? and how i can go about resolving it?

thanks in advance!

SlowJet
20th June 2007, 07:48 AM
Why do you need to resize the / lv?
It's still going to be on the LVM VG and can't be used for anything except the OS that created it.

But the answer to your question is
that you can't resize a f/s (file system) that is being used (mounted.)

The only way to resize the / lv is to bootup into a live CD that contains the LVM tool sets => the LVM tool set of the system on the HD. (I don't remember if the LVM gui is on the current live F7 or not.)

If you're resizing to do a multi-boot, you need to start over and plan your partitioning according to what you are going to install.

SJ

homey43
20th June 2007, 03:56 PM
yep, that's exactly why i'm looking to resize (to dual-boot).. i have two LVs: one for swap and another which basically has the rest of the HD dedicated to it (the filesystem root, mounted at /). if i'm going to carve any space on the disk to accomodate another installation it would have to come from the latter LV. i was advised by someone on another forum that i could do this via the Logical Volume Management tool; but you're saying this can't be done?

i accepted the default partitioning scheme in the FC6 installation, namely:
#################################################
Disk /dev/hda: 32.0 GB, 32003112960 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 3890 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 * 1 13 104391 83 Linux
/dev/hda2 14 3890 31142002+ 8e Linux LVM
#################################################

would i be able to resize the LVM partition via fdisk? (having to completely re-install from scratch would be a real pain in the neck.. esp since i just want to experiment with this another distribution that i might not even want to keep)..

can you think of ANY way apart from re-installing the entire OS that i can salvage some space from that huge LV?

thanks for your advice, SlowJet!