PDA

View Full Version : Intel Pocket PC Camera CS630

AXMUKHER
20th June 2007, 05:51 AM
I am new to Linux, so please bear with me.

Recently, I have loaded Fedora 7 as my second OS, with an eye to migrate away from Windows.

I could not get my Intel Pocket PC Camera CS630 to be detected by Linux. I have downloaded http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca50x/Download/gspcav1-20070508.tar.gz. I was able to open this file with tar ...., but when I tried to run sudo -s -H, I came to know that MY USER ACCOUNT IS NOT IN SUDOERS LIST IN MY OWN LAPTOP!

So here are a couple of basic questions:

1. How do I get my user name to be included in Sudoers list?

2. How do I get the system to recognize my webcam Intel Pocket PC Camera CS630 ?

Since I am new, please give explicit instructions in simple english.

Thanks!
:p

Gnafu the Great
20th June 2007, 06:40 AM
I can't help with your camera, but I will say a couple things about sudo. I used it from the beginning, but I've seen some people warn against it (at least as far as allowing your user account to sudo any action), so I've disabled it. What I've begun using is the following:

su -c '[command]'

This will prompt you for the root password, rather than your local user password, and it will prompt you each time, rather than allowing multiple commands to be run with just one typing of the password. I figure it's maybe a little safer, and it keeps me from having to set up sudo on every fresh install I do :p.

EDIT: And if you want to run multiple commands as root, you can type su or su - (the latter loading root's path and taking you to root's home folder), which will prompt you for the root password and then take you to a root prompt (or whatever you want to call it). Just make sure you don't leave a terminal open in this mode when you're not at your desk ;).

EDIT 2: Silly me, I almost forgot: welcome to Fedora!

AXMUKHER
20th June 2007, 04:35 PM
Thanks a lot! I will try it soon and let you know how it is going.

I found one website that may solve my problem. I intend to test it first, though. http://atrpms.net/dist/f7/gspca/

Thanks for your welcome, and my regards.

AXMUKHER
24th June 2007, 09:13 PM
My intel cs630 camera does not work still. I got as far as getting the camera detected, but that's about it. One error message in digikam informs me that camera is "locked out by some other program"- but no other application was running.

Even as I transition from Vista to Linux, three things keep bothering me.

First is the incessant permission-seeking habit of Linux every 10 seconds. I mean, there should be a limit to the number to times the operating system seeks permission every hour.

Secondly, my intel pc camera cs630 is not working.

Thirdly, Skype on fc7 does not support video.

However, I like the speed and looks of Fedora 7, and despite the glitches I intend to stick with it and sort them out.

Any suggestions?