PDA

View Full Version : Fedora not seeing wireless 3945?

Xeen
17th June 2007, 10:22 PM
Hiya all! New to the forums and to Fedora, coming over from Ubuntu 5 *shudders*. I am a Linux wimp, spoiled by things "just working" in Winblows, so this is just a TAD annoying.

I got a new laptop yesterday (HPdv6000) and have spent many hours already trying to get my wireless working. I've looked and Googled, poked and prodded. It appears that a lot of people are having/have had had problems with the 3945 dealy.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling for it, but it appears to be a hardware issue. Fedora is acting like its just not seeing it, period. That's the best way to put it.

For example, right now its saying "Device wlan0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization."

Now, if somebody could point the Idiot Patrol my way, I'll be happy :)

Thanks ahead of time!

-x

*ETA* I'm on 7, btw.

glennzo
17th June 2007, 11:17 PM
Go to system services and start NetworkManager and NetworkManagerDispatch. Also, check the boxes beside them so that they start at boot and click the save icon.

Xeen
17th June 2007, 11:33 PM
Hiya! Thanks for the response.

I (finally) found the damn NetworkManager just a bit ago, and tried out all that good stuff. Its still not working.

glennzo
17th June 2007, 11:38 PM
Check out this post http://forum.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=152947&highlight=ipw3945 in Fedora Forum. This helped me immensely.

Xeen
17th June 2007, 11:43 PM
[root@localhost xeen]# yum install ipw3945-kmdl- uname ipw3945
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
livna 100% |=========================| 2.1 kB 00:00
fedora 100% |=========================| 2.1 kB 00:00
adobe-linux 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
updates 100% |=========================| 1.9 kB 00:00
Nothing to do
[root@localhost xeen]# yum install ipw3945
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
Nothing to do
[root@localhost xeen]#

what does "Nothing to do" mean? I'm getting tired of seeing that

glennzo
17th June 2007, 11:47 PM
Usually means that whatever you're trying to install is already installed. Type rpm -q ipw3945-kmdl. Go to that link again and read post #4. Keeler1's method is what I used and it worked well. I did it on my new Toshiba Satellite.

Xeen
17th June 2007, 11:49 PM
[root@localhost xeen]# rpm -q ipw3945-kmdlpackage
ipw3945-kmdl is not installed

I'll try post #4 then.

glennzo
17th June 2007, 11:53 PM
There ya go! I'm going out for a bit so there may not be more replies for an hour or 2. Good luck.

Xeen
18th June 2007, 12:03 AM
Well so far post #4 isn't making any sense to me. I went to freshrpms.net and found one so far but I can't figure out how to download it LOL

I've got the dkms-ipw3945 downloaded, but the install instructions are making me nauseated. PLEASE tell me there's some OTHER way :-p

glennzo
18th June 2007, 12:10 AM
To confuse matters even more I should have and meant to say look at post #3 :rolleyes: Maybe my interpetation of his instructions is a little clearer. Look at my wiki, here: http://www.johnson.homelinux.net/index.php/Wireless_F7

Xeen
18th June 2007, 06:37 AM
Yay, step #2 worked!
But typing in modprobe ipw3945 gives me:
[xeen@localhost ~]$ modprobe ipw3945
bash: modprobe: command not found

I tried installing it through yum, but apparently its installed already.

*still looking all over*

glennzo
18th June 2007, 09:51 AM
You likely need to do it as root, so in the terminal type su - and enter root password then modprobe ipw3945.

Xeen
18th June 2007, 06:26 PM
Nothing shiny or pretty happened. Its like talking to a brick wall :-p

[root@localhost ~]# modprobe ipw3945
[root@localhost ~]#

glennzo
18th June 2007, 07:01 PM
Nothing shiny or pretty happened. Its like talking to a brick wall :-p

[root@localhost ~]# modprobe ipw3945
[root@localhost ~]#
That means the system accepted your command. Now go to the system services and start NetworkManager and NetworkManagerDispatch. Let's see if this thing is going to run.

Xeen
19th June 2007, 04:19 AM
well, I did everything Under the Sun, even had a linux guru helping me, but the wireless is still not working. I'm thinking of going back to Ubuntu. or trying Slackware. or SOMETHING. This is ridiculous >.<

I don't know if I should bother trying to get anything else to work (DVD, sound, media buttons, camera, mic, music, where does the list end?)

Or I can try Fedora Core 6.

But I do thank you for your help, glennzo.

glennzo
19th June 2007, 11:23 AM
Well that's a shame. Wish I were sitting in front of your computer. I'd like to give it a shot first hand. But if things don't work.... It does get frustrating at times.