PDA

View Full Version : nVidia drivers F7

justinman27
16th June 2007, 09:08 PM
Hey guys,

I am brand new to linux, so of course i picked a brand new release to work through all the new bugs!!

So, i have an HP DV8000 laptop with dual core intel proc in it.

I am trying to get the drivers for my video card so i can get dual display up and running. Video card model:

nVidia geForce Go 7600

I had a tough time finding the driver for XP let alone the newest fedora release so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks everyone!(sorry for being a n00b)

The_Jaymz
16th June 2007, 09:14 PM
I have a 7300GT, and always use the driver from nvidia.com. I have to pass some options to it for it to run:
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.09-pkg1.run --x-module-path=/usr/lib/xorg/modules --x-library-path=/usr/lib

You'll need a development environment to do this:
yum -y isntall gcc-c++ xorg-x11-server-sdk

glennzo
16th June 2007, 09:25 PM
Would the kmod-nvidia driver help? Just a thought.

The_Jaymz
16th June 2007, 09:34 PM
Would the kmod-nvidia driver help? Just a thought.
That's certainly another way to go. I tried the livna driver, but didn't have much luck with it. Every time I ran something like google earth or even glxgears, X would crash. I know that many people use that method with much success, though.

Ioannis Nousias
16th June 2007, 09:56 PM
if you are using the livna nvidia packages, make sure that your /etc/X11/xorg.conf has the following in the 'Section "Files"'

ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"

this is where nvidia's libglx.so resides. Basically, those crashes that The_Jaymz is mentioning are due to wrong libglx.so being used (that of the Xorg packages).

Usually, you don't have to do anything, since by installing livna package it will also set the appropriate files, like xorg.conf. The above is for troubleshooting.

Another hint is to check the libGL.so shared object in use. You can do:
ldd /usr/bin/glxinfo

which will list the shared objects that will be loaded when running the application. You should have a line like this one
libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib/nvidia/libGL.so.1

if not, then check in your '/etc/ld.so.conf.d/' directory for an nvidia-something.conf (the 'something' depends on the driver you've installed) file. The contents of that file should be a single line: '/usr/lib/nvidia'. If it doesn't exist then create it and run '/sbin/ldconfig' as root

Again, you shouldn't have to do any of the above. In case of a problem, a re-installation of the livna package might be a simpler solution.

Firewing1
16th June 2007, 10:40 PM
if you are using the livna nvidia packages, make sure that your /etc/X11/xorg.conf has the following in the 'Section "Files"'
The livna packages do this automatically, no need to worry about that or the LD.
Firewing1

justinman27
17th June 2007, 01:02 AM
so i need to run the yum code first and then the nvidia driver install?....kk thx

Firewing1
17th June 2007, 01:03 AM
so i need to run the yum code first and then the nvidia driver install?....kk thx
If you would like to use Yumex install 'kmod-nvidia' or simply type into a terminal:

su -
yum install kmod-nvidia -y
Firewing1