PDA

View Full Version : Ata errors after an upgrade from FC6

ajamison
15th June 2007, 05:19 PM
Ok I have upgraded 3 computers to F7 and two went flawlessly

However the last one I was unable to do a clean install for some reason the live CD allways hung and the particular computer does not have a DVD drive.

Ok so this is a server that is 32bit but has actualy server componenets in it and FC6 ran without any issues. However when i upgraded to F7 it will run fine but durring boot it hangs after spitting out a long list of errors which I have attached as it is to long to post here

When it gets to the part shortly after loading the LVM where is says udev it hangs for 5 minuted before finaly continueing the booting process.

Now everything works fine when i get into F7 but since this is a server should it have to be restarted at all it would cause for a significant amount of down time and I was wondering if there was a command i could pass along at boot to prevent this message or at least stop the boot delay.

I did not copy the whole dmesg output instead i copied the sections that appear to be errors please let me know what you think

Also nothing on this machine is live meaning it is just a LAN server but I would still like less downtime between boots

Also if you would like a full dmesg log then i can make a file with the full log upon request

JEO
15th June 2007, 09:44 PM
udev is scanning your hardware to create device files in the /dev directory. If some device is not responding or timing out that would be the delay. You can try disconnecting devices and pci cards to see which one it is. Also look on the BIOS power on screen to see if you can tell which device is using IRQ 11 that seems to be a problem also.

ajamison
15th June 2007, 10:08 PM
Ok I will try that although my bios does not tell me irq's it just lists devices

Also this machine worked fine in FC6 is there a significant change in the udev script that would cause it to look deeper into the system or something that would cause this

t4ndeta
17th June 2007, 02:14 PM
I am having similar problems ajamison, but in my case system does not start (starts but im not able to do anything).

Before init scripts I am getting errors like those attached by ajamison.
I am using FastTrak controller (pdc_202xx_old driver) with RAID0 on 2 disks.

I am getting those errors and drives speed is downgraded from UDMA100 trough UDMA25 to PIO4. But after "Remounting root to read-write" I am getting also some kind of Ext3 journal errors and root fs is switching back to read-only. Thats why I am not able to attach dmesg because its empty after system start (when fs is in ro mode it takes really long time to get to login prompt).

I have reinstalled Fedora several time, and in most cases at first time system boot with out problems.

Problem is quite random, because after several retries Fedora finally starts with root fs mounted in rw mode.

I also tried to change transfer mode using hdparm, but no luck, always errors.

Under FC6 every thing worked without any problems. I am also able to mount all partition using Ubuntu live CD.

If I success starting fedora I will attach my dmesg

HTH

yeti
17th June 2007, 02:31 PM
ajamison

Did you try what the first line of 'error.txt' says?

irq 11: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option)

JEO
17th June 2007, 09:23 PM
I would say that the significant change between FC6 and FC7 is in the kernel. The removal of the old ide drivers that used to be built into the kernel and the inclusion of the replacement libata drivers as kernel modules is causing some problems. Most notably, the mkinitrd doesn't automatically include the needed driver. Adding a --preload=pata_... line to the mkinitrd is the usual fix. Also the new pata drivers don't shut down cleanly.

ajamison
18th June 2007, 09:53 PM
I will try the irqpoll option though i am not sure what that does

yeti
18th June 2007, 11:29 PM
ajamison

On my hardware, without irqpoll as a kernel boot-time option, there is a three-minute lag in booting, and when that's over, some of my ide assets are unavailable after all. irqpoll solves this for me. Another solution is the latest Fedora kernel 2.6.21-1.3228.fc7. Your symptoms sound like maybe one or the other of these might help you.

Seve
18th June 2007, 11:30 PM
Hello:

Are you currently running the smartd daemon ?
to check:
chkconfig --list | grep smartd
this is my current state.

# chkconfig --list | grep smartd
smartd 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:off 4:on 5:off 6:off

if so, run the following to disable it and then try a reboot

chkconfig --level 235 smartd off

if you see no improvement you can set it back to it's previous state.

Disabling the daemon here, solved a similar issue I was encountering with F7 ... ?

Seve

lmo
18th June 2007, 11:45 PM
I would say that the significant change between FC6 and FC7 is in the kernel. The removal of the old ide drivers that used to be built into the kernel and the inclusion of the replacement libata drivers as kernel modules is causing some problems. Most notably, the mkinitrd doesn't automatically include the needed driver. Adding a --preload=pata_... line to the mkinitrd is the usual fix. Also the new pata drivers don't shut down cleanly.Technically, the change is not in the kernel, but in the kernel's config file. I tried building a kernel.org kernel from source based on an FC6 kernel config and the IDE drives were treated as usual in the past. In extreme cases, this might be the easy way out.

JEO
18th June 2007, 11:56 PM
Hi Imo, Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if the old ide drivers had completely gone away yet or not. I bet that they are slated for obsoletion soon though. It's probably better to tough out the new problems then to revert the kernel to them.

lmo
19th June 2007, 12:07 AM
The libata IDE change has been in the works for quite a while, and still no hinting of obsoleting the old drivers yet http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=115514409104283&w=2

JEO
19th June 2007, 12:14 AM
The third alternative is to leave out the old ide support, but put the libata drivers as built-in drivers to the kernel. That would at least be sure they are all available for the initrd part of the bootup process.

ajamison
19th June 2007, 04:37 AM
I do have the most current kernel I just disabled Smartd I am going to see if this fixed the issue if not I will use irqpoll

ajamison
19th June 2007, 04:42 AM
ok neithor option worked irqpoll or other wise

yeti
19th June 2007, 08:17 PM
There must be many 'flavors' to this problem.

smartd doesn't seem to be my problem, either.
I still need either irqpoll with the latest Ubuntu and for Fedora
with older kernels than the 1.3228 version.

My setup has an intel ich5 'sata' driver, a gigabyte mb, and a lite-on ide cdrw.

lmo
20th June 2007, 04:26 AM
A novel idea.

Assuming the FC6 /lib/modules/xxx directory is there or can be copied there (e.g., /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6, etc.) and assuming the FC6 kernel is in the /boot directoy or can be copied there (e.g., vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6, etc)

Make the initrd based on the FC6 kernel:
mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.img 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6

And make an entry in /boot/grub/grub.conf based on the FC6 kernel/initrd

This may sidestep the kernel config change that blasted some of the IDE's out of the water.

This allows IDE drives to be as they have always been hda, hdb, hdc, etc., so the /etc/fstab should also be modified such that if it is an IDE drive, it would be a /dev/hd instead of a /dev/sd

I tested this, and at the moment, I am running fc7 on kernel 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 ... what fun!

JEO
20th June 2007, 06:59 AM
It's a good idea, but I would be afraid of other things not working due to a downgrade of the kernel. The current version fc6 kernel 2.6.20-1.2952.fc6 would be better to use as it's a lot closer to 2.6.21 in Fedora 7.