PDA

View Full Version : Can't install FC7 on IBM - lenovo T60

ZScott
13th June 2007, 08:45 AM
I posted this in the hardware forum but realize it probably should have gone here.

FC6 and Suse 10.2 work fine with this laptop, however I can't get FC7 to install.
This is an IBM - lenovo T60 WideScreen with an ATI X1400 ( Type: 8741 CTO ).

I can boot the install media, but when it tries to switch to graphical the screen is corrupted and the install screen never comes up. This is with the Live CD and the install DVD.

With the Live CD I eventually get to a point where there is a messed up text screen with "The display server has been shutdown about 6 times in the last 90 seconds. It is likely that something bad is going on."

With the install DVD, it just fails to a solid blue screen.

It's the same as reported in this thread dealing with FC7 RC4:
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sh...ad.php?t=155515

As suggested in that thread, adding "video=vesafb vga=ask" doesn't help in all modes.

Again, this is on install so I'm not even at a point of having an ATI Driver/Xorg issue yet as the driver hasn't been loaded.

Any ideas?

ZScott
17th June 2007, 03:19 AM
* bump *

This is really driving me nuts.
With the install DVD I do see it detecting the ATI X1400 but that's where it stops.

A mostly black screen with some red horizontal lines at the top comes up for about 10 seconds. It blanks and another similar screen. Then a solid blue screen with no further info.

I posted above about how the Live CD went.

Is the vesa driver messed up in FC7??

cqz123
18th June 2007, 10:08 PM
I'm running F7 on a T60 widescreen without any of the issues you're seeing, the only exception is I'm using the Intel video rather than ATI. Can you get to the installer using text mode?

ZScott
23rd June 2007, 10:17 PM
With difficulty I can get to text mode install, but the screens are still messed up.

As mentioned in another thread (see the link in my first post) there are still issues with getting graphic modes going after you get past the install.

I personally don't want to have to hack the install and would rather find a fix so it will install correctly to begin with.

asylum1394
1st July 2007, 08:10 AM
I'm having this exact problem with this exact laptop (t60p widescreen w/ ati x1400). I get the same blue screen when trying to run the graphical installer on the fc7 dvd and also when I run the fc4 dvd. I ran the fc6 cd1 though and everything started up fine so now I'm really confused but I guess fc6 will work, just seems weird for a release in the middle works but 4 and 7 don't *shrugs*.

ZScott
7th July 2007, 08:45 AM
I had to resort to SuSE 10.2 to get this to work without issue.

Sorry, but since there is no workaround to the issue I needed something stable to use in the meantime.

Again, this wasn't an issue in FC6 either but I would rather go with a "current" distro and have it "work" rather than a FUBAR and have it not.

I can't understand how basic vesa modes can be screwed up this bad in FC7 with this basic configuration.

asylum1394
7th July 2007, 03:03 PM
I'm not really a SUSE person but when I installed it I was stuck at 800x600 resolution because my hardware didn't support "Framesets" or something like that. But basically, SUSE wasn't bug free for me, although it seems vista won't go down without a fight (shrinking its partition results in it dying and the recovery disks won't let me choose my own partitioning scheme) so maybe I won't get linux on it after all.

ZScott
9th July 2007, 05:34 AM
In SUSE 10.2 the higher resolutions were resolved after I installed the ATI driver.
Just followed the basic instructions included in the driver and didn't have to mod any configuration files.

asylum1394
9th July 2007, 06:57 AM
Well, I'm sure this is just one of those issues that one person runs into and it's left at that but I couldn't install the ati driver at all (in SUSE or in FC6). Well, actually it would build the module and everything but running ati-config --initial like it says just crashes but in SUSE it doesn't though restarting X does make it crash, but I forgot the specific error I got.