PDA

View Full Version : New Santa Rosa Macbook Pro and Fedora 7 - anyone?

chem
13th June 2007, 07:35 AM
I will be purchasing a new model Macbook Pro (Intel's Santa Rosa chipset) soon, and need to choose between Fedora 7 and Ubuntu for dual-booting (I do some development work).

Has anyone successfully dual booted F7 with one of these laptops? Has anyone even tried?

Possible stumbling blocks:
1. The 802.11n wireless (atheros, I think)
2. The audio
3. The superdrive (?)
4. The EFI boot manager (instead of BIOS)
5. CPU fan rpm control (heat is bad)
6. GRUB and Mac OS X not playing nice
7. Suspend and Suspend2 (disk) not working

I would love to know the details if someone tries this at home. I bet others would, too. Thanks for any replies!

leadgolem
13th June 2007, 07:43 AM
I'm not certain about that model, but usually the "superdrive" in a mac is a rebranded liteon.

leadgolem
16th June 2007, 12:35 AM
If the 802.11n is an atheros your wireless should be doable. If I understand correctly most acer laptops use an atheros wireless chip. So, you might want to see if you can find someone with an acer that got the wireless working. That may get you the information you need.

spidersweb
23rd June 2007, 08:50 PM
Hi,

I have a 3 week old Macbook Pro 15" (2.33Ghz Core 2 Duo chip) dual-booting with F7 very nicely. It needs some work, though. 3D graphics won't work until ATI bring out a new driver at the end of the month. The superdrive is a MAT****A and I burned my first audio cd using RhythmBox this morning. Perfect! The wireless card in my model is a Broadcom chip which I haven't tackled yet but I have seen methods where you can use the Apple firmware to do it.

As for EFI boot manager, by far the easiest is rEFIt (http://refit.sourceforge.net/), a bootloader for Intel Macs. You can even remove it after the installation and just use the Option key (ALT). But you need it initially to sort out the MBR table. Haven't tried audio, cpu fan or suspend yet (I've been concentrating on finding an alternative to ATI's drivers to get Beryl to work, given up at this stage, just have to wait.)

If you check my reply to the following thread it might give you some ideas. As howto's go, it's very badly written. it was my first.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=103636

That thread was for someone who wanted to triple boot. If I was doing it again I'd make some changes.

Don't bother installing Bootcamp. Not needed for Linux. Re-partition the drive using Disk Utility on the Installation disk.

Next I'm going to try wireless and audio. Anyone interested, I'll let you know.

chem
23rd June 2007, 09:32 PM
I have a 3 week old Macbook Pro 15" (2.33Ghz Core 2 Duo chip) dual-booting with F7 very nicely. It needs some work, though. 3D graphics won't work until ATI bring out a new driver at the end of the month.

Hello, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, that is not quite the model of MBP I am interested in. It's only 3 weeks old?

The new Santa Rosa MBPs have 2.2 and 2.4 GHz CPU clocks, and NVidia video. The logic board chipset is different too. I am hoping to see if anyone has things fully working on that model of MBP. Good luck with yours. :)

leadgolem
23rd June 2007, 10:10 PM
At least the graphics should be relatively painless with an nvidia chipset.

spidersweb
23rd June 2007, 11:31 PM
I should probably re-phrase that. I bought it 3 weeks ago. Who knows how long it was stock for! Just my luck that they decided to upgrade everything two weeks after I bought it. Same thing happened my brother. He bought an iMac Core Duo a month before they brought out the Core 2 Duo.

chem
2nd July 2007, 07:17 PM
This is not fedora specific, but some good info about debian/ubuntu and these machines can be found here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=474144 (look for post by pepe on page 3)
https://cbg.dyndns.org/wiki/ReadingCorner/LinuxOnMacbookPro

Pepe has managed to get nvidia partially working (with external keyboard and display) and sound working (no headphone output).

ciphermonk
2nd July 2007, 07:54 PM
chem,

Why not just run OSX and run linux in parallels? Parallels 3 is available and is pretty awesome. A friend of mine runs it and the performance is stellar. It'd be less headache than fight with drivers to get all of your peripherals working properly. Parallels is an easy solution.

chem
2nd July 2007, 08:02 PM
Why not just run OSX and run linux in parallels? Parallels 3 is available and is pretty awesome. A friend of mine runs it and the performance is stellar. It'd be less headache than fight with drivers to get all of your peripherals working properly. Parallels is an easy solution.

That may work, but Parallels costs $$$ and Fedora (or Ubuntu, etc) is free. The hardware is generally linux friendly (nvidia, madwifi, etc), and it would be more desirable to just dual boot and have things working out of the box.

Support Free Software!

Vaiden
4th July 2007, 11:13 AM
chem: I'm interested in buying the new MBP if it's possible (not über difficult) to get Fedora 7 working perfectly. The wireless and the graphics have to work, the webcam and the remote are not necessary. Convince me! :)

chem
4th July 2007, 04:17 PM
chem: I'm interested in buying the new MBP if it's possible (not über difficult) to get Fedora 7 working perfectly. The wireless and the graphics have to work, the webcam and the remote are not necessary. Convince me! :)

Read the wiki page I linked a few posts above. It's for debian, but w/e. wireless works with the madwifi driver. nvidia has reported they fixed the crazy colors but and the next driver release of theirs will be fine for a mbp.

also check ubuntuforums.org, much more info there.

Vaiden
6th July 2007, 07:27 PM
chem: Thx!

joshslater
16th July 2007, 05:34 PM
has anyone had any luck yet? A few weeks ago I tried installing fc6 but could'nt get Ethernet (wired or wireless) working for the life of me... I then tried fc7 but oddly enough it couldn't even detect the cdrom drive

Vaiden
16th July 2007, 11:20 PM
Today I bought a MBP :) I hope F7 will be quite easy to install on the machine

joshslater
17th July 2007, 12:12 AM
Today I bought a MBP :) I hope F7 will be quite easy to install on the machine

Let us know how it goes... I'm hoping that a newer build of FC7 will have fixes for the cd-rom drive issue (as well as the ethernet/wireless)...

diegof
17th July 2007, 01:20 PM
I installed F7 on MBP but by net (http), not by DVD. Graphic controller works only with a xorg nv driver (last driver on xorg site 2.1.2) with native screen resolution. Wifi is not working. For boot I used rEFIt.

Vaiden
17th July 2007, 10:11 PM
joshslater: what cd-rom drive issue?

diegof: you say wifi isn't working... do you mean "out of the box" or did you try the madwifi drivers as well?

diegof
17th July 2007, 10:16 PM
I tried madwifi kernel module by livna, but it doesn't work. I downloaded the last version by svn and I compiled it. Now in this way madwifi is OK for scanning AP but I didn't try to connect to an AP.

cladsa
17th July 2007, 11:25 PM
I installed F7 on MBP but by net (http), not by DVD. Graphic controller works only with a xorg nv driver (last driver on xorg site 2.1.2) with native screen resolution. Wifi is not working. For boot I used rEFIt.

did u try installing it from the DVD? cos when i try to install it from the dvd it s not able to detect the controller needed for installaion.

quark4181
18th July 2007, 01:54 AM
Not sure if anyone mentioned vmware? I have the trial running with virtual ubuntu and it works fine. It is only free for a bit longer so you might need to grab it now.

Gnafu the Great
18th July 2007, 02:19 AM
There is a beta of VirtualBox for Intel Macs. I know it's a great virtual machine program running in Windows and Linux, so I'd assume the Mac OS version is good (aside from beta problems).

diegof
18th July 2007, 11:09 AM
To cladsa: I booted from DVD and then I installed F7 by a http server on INTERNET, because the DVD was not readable after boot.

cladsa
19th July 2007, 03:18 AM
To cladsa: I booted from DVD and then I installed F7 by a http server on INTERNET, because the DVD was not readable after boot.

did u install the i386 one or the 64 bit one?

Vaiden
19th July 2007, 08:05 AM
Why install the i386? Core 2 Duo = 64-bit, or am I wrong?

cladsa
19th July 2007, 02:50 PM
Why install the i386? Core 2 Duo = 64-bit, or am I wrong?

yeah it is 64-bit, but when i install it for some reason it doesnt detect it when i boot up after installation. For the i386 one its fine.

davead
20th July 2007, 05:01 AM
Really curious to know how this is working out. I have 17" MBP with Santa Rosa chipset. I have not been able to install FC7 or boot the live DVD. I can install FC 6, but cannot boot it.

FC 6 boot hangs right after it tells me:

PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 5 of device 0000:00:1f.2
ACPI: Getting cpuindex for acpid 0x1

Any ideas??

Thanks

davead
20th July 2007, 05:08 AM
There is a known bug for FC7 that prevents the DVD from being read during install from the ISO image. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/F7Common#head-5559955d6887cde89a4a9f41b284227db61a43ef

It's not a drive problem or device driver problem based on the bug thread.

diegof
20th July 2007, 02:02 PM
to cladsa: I installed the 64 bit version.

This my xorg.conf

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "single head configuration"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Apple Touchpad" "AlwaysCore"
EndSection

Section "Files"
# ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx"
Load "synaptics"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AllowMouseOpenFail" "yes"
Option "AIGLX" "on"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Apple Touchpad"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/touchpad"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "SHMConfig" "on"

Option "AccelFactor" "0.1"
Option "MinSpeed" "0.3"
Option "MaxSpeed" "2"
Option "FingerLow" "5"
Option "FingerHigh" "25"
# button2=twofingertap, 3=threefingertap
Option "TapButton2" "2"
Option "TapButton3" "3"
# don't mistake moving for tapping
Option "MaxTapMove" "20"
Option "MaxTapTime" "100"
# don't wait too long for double-clicks..
Option "SingleTapTimeout" "100"

# Scrolling
Option "VertEdgeScroll" "1"
Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "0"
# EdgeScroll right at the edge
Option "RightEdge" "1150"
# Option "LeftEdge" "0"
# Option "TopEdge" "0"
# Option "BottomEdge" "645"
Option "VertTwoFingerScroll" "1"
Option "HorizTwoFingerScroll" "1"
# do not mistake TwofingerTapping for scrolling
Option "VertScrollDelta" "20"
# do not mistake VertScroll for HorizScroll
Option "HorizScrollDelta" "350"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "it"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
ModelName "LCD Panel 1440x900"
HorizSync 31.5 - 100.0
VertRefresh 59.0 - 75.0
Option "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nv"
# Driver "vesa"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Option "DisableGLXRootClipping" "True"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

Vaiden
21st July 2007, 04:11 PM
The MBP will be delivered on monday or tuesday... then I'll report the whole process

cladsa
23rd July 2007, 12:51 AM
To diegof: Are u able to dual boot the 64 bit version with OS X? Cos when i try to do it, rEFIt doesnt detect it

diegof
23rd July 2007, 10:22 AM
I installed a triple boot with rEFIt, MacOSX, WinXP and Fedora 7 x86_64.
Initially I used BootCamp to repartition the disk in two partitions one for MacOSX and one for WinXP. For WinXP I used the CDROM created with BootCamp for drivers and so on. The big problem that I found was the mandatory position of XP absolutely AFTER Fedora. Other problems that I found was the repartition of the big space that BootCamp dedicated to XP. I used the gparted CDROM, after every operation on the partition table was necessary reboot with rEFIt and reread the table and after reboot with the gparted and rechange the type of the partitions. At the end rEFIt was able to detect the Linux partition only after running grub-install on the Linux partition, hd(0, 2) in my MBP.

Vaiden
23rd July 2007, 04:56 PM
diegof: If I want to dualboot (OS X and F7), which way is the easiest - to use BootCamp? Have you managed to set up every necessary feature in F7, like the trackpad, the Nvidia-graphics and suspend? Do you like your MBP? ;) I'm waiting for mine, really excited!

diegof
23rd July 2007, 05:18 PM
to Vaiden: I used BootCamp to partition the disk in two parts: one for OS X one for XP, but you can use the second partition for Fedora. I use the x86_64 version, but I think that it would be better to use i386, because there are more packages only for 32 bit as Flash or Acrobat. With the last kernel now it is possible to detect also the DVD drive. For the Nvidia graphics I wrote before. I don't use the suspend-function so I don't try to setup it.
The MBP is a real cool hw, one of the best that I used (I ran Linux on laptop since ten years...)

Zontar
23rd July 2007, 07:37 PM
Setup the latest 15" MacBook Pro for triple booting over the weekend. First, downloaded and installed Boot Camp 1.3 Beta. Then I ran Boot Camp to the point of burning the Windows drivers CD, but DID NOT use Boot Camp to resize/repartition the hard drive. Opened up a terminal and ran

diskutil resizeVolume /dev/disk0s2 84G Linux Linux 32G "MS-DOS FAT32" Windows 32G

This created 3 partitions - an 84G OS X, a 32G free, and a 32G FAT32 partition. I then installed XP Pro SP2 from a CD onto the 32G FAT32 partition which I reformatted to NTFS during the installation process. When this was completed I could then dual-boot between OS X and XP by powering on the laptop and holding down the option key. A GUI then pops up which lets you choose between "Macintosh HD" or "Windows" to continue the boot process. The first time you run Windows you need to run the driver install CD which you created using Boot Camp. After that things run great on the Windows side.

Time to install Fedora 7. Popped in the Fedora 7 rescue CD and booted the laptop holding down the C button. I then chose to install Fedora using the DVD iso image which I had on an external USB hard drive. During the setup process I specified one partition (the 32G free second partition) and chose to have the GRUB boot loader written to the partition, not to the MBR. During the boot loader installation it did not see the XP partition like it usually does in a normal Fedora install. After installation everything started successfully except for X which does not come up during the Fedora boot stage so I am stuck in terminal mode. For ethernet I am connected up to the back of my router, no wireless yet.

At this point if I power up and hold down the option key I am given the choice of booting OS X or Windows, but choosing Windows sends me to the GRUB menu which only offers Fedora 7. To include Windows XP in the GRUB menu and allow for triple booting, I edited the /etc/grub.conf file and added as one of the options

title Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,3)
chainloader +1

So in the end, my MacBook Pro is now setup so that if I hold down option at powerup I get the choice of OS X or Windows - choosing Windows sends me to the GRUB menu which lets me choose between Fedora 7 or Windows XP. :)

I'm going to try and reinstall Fedora 7 to see if the X problem gets straightened out during the setup process when it runs system-config-display. :confused:

Vaiden
23rd July 2007, 08:11 PM
Zontar: Amazing! Have you tried rEFIt as boot menu? If it works, you wont have to hold down the option key during startup.

diegof: Thank you for your help, greatly appreciated! Too bad that Flash isn't supported when using the x64-version, I really want to use the 64 bit support, but the difference isn't huge I guess?

diegof
23rd July 2007, 09:09 PM
To Zontar: for X try setting nv card also with setup script and use the xorg.conf that I posted. For wifi download and compile the last (git) version of madwifi, it works.

To Vaiden: I prefer 64 bit support too, but when I tried to compile some packages (for an Huawei E220 - HSDPA card) I found no support for 64 bits...

cladsa
23rd July 2007, 09:47 PM
i installed the i386 version and installed the latest nvidia driver from the nvidia site. But when i start X it gives me crazy colours. Then i changed it to vesa in xorg.conf and X started but a part of the screen is still showing some crazy colours.

Anyone came across this problem?

davead
24th July 2007, 07:10 AM
Setup the latest 15" MacBook Pro for triple booting over the weekend. First, downloaded and installed Boot Camp 1.3 Beta. Then I ran Boot Camp to the point of burning the Windows drivers CD, but DID NOT use Boot Camp to resize/repartition the hard drive. Opened up a terminal and ran

diskutil resizeVolume /dev/disk0s2 84G Linux Linux 32G "MS-DOS FAT32" Windows 32G

This created 3 partitions - an 84G OS X, a 32G free, and a 32G FAT32 partition. I then installed XP Pro SP2 from a CD onto the 32G FAT32 partition which I reformatted to NTFS during the installation process. When this was completed I could then dual-boot between OS X and XP by powering on the laptop and holding down the option key. A GUI then pops up which lets you choose between "Macintosh HD" or "Windows" to continue the boot process. The first time you run Windows you need to run the driver install CD which you created using Boot Camp. After that things run great on the Windows side.

Time to install Fedora 7. Popped in the Fedora 7 rescue CD and booted the laptop holding down the C button. I then chose to install Fedora using the DVD iso image which I had on an external USB hard drive. During the setup process I specified one partition (the 32G free second partition) and chose to have the GRUB boot loader written to the partition, not to the MBR. During the boot loader installation it did not see the XP partition like it usually does in a normal Fedora install. After installation everything started successfully except for X which does not come up during the Fedora boot stage so I am stuck in terminal mode. For ethernet I am connected up to the back of my router, no wireless yet.

At this point if I power up and hold down the option key I am given the choice of booting OS X or Windows, but choosing Windows sends me to the GRUB menu which only offers Fedora 7. To include Windows XP in the GRUB menu and allow for triple booting, I edited the /etc/grub.conf file and added as one of the options

title Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,3)
chainloader +1

So in the end, my MacBook Pro is now setup so that if I hold down option at powerup I get the choice of OS X or Windows - choosing Windows sends me to the GRUB menu which lets me choose between Fedora 7 or Windows XP. :)

I'm going to try and reinstall Fedora 7 to see if the X problem gets straightened out during the setup process when it runs system-config-display. :confused:
I have the latest 17" MacBookPro (Santa Rosa chip, 2G RAM, GeForce 8600M GT graphics chipset with 256MB, MAT****ADVD-R UJ-85J DVD/CD ROM, FUJITSU MHW2160BHPL 160GB HDD) and can't get any version of linux (except Knoppix live cd) to boot.

I have tried FC6, Fedora 7, (both x86_64) and Ubuntu (7.04 i386).

If anyone has been able to get a 64bit version of linux to boot with a similar machine please let me know.

diegof
24th July 2007, 07:51 AM
To Cladsa: try to use the xorg.conf file that I posted before. I put in red the driver configuration nv and not vesa. It is working for me with Fedora 7.

cladsa
24th July 2007, 03:43 PM
to davead: I have tried ubuntu 7.04 x86_84 and it works but u need to install it using the alternate amd64 CD.

Here is a link that u may find useful
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=474144

Zontar
24th July 2007, 05:57 PM
Experimented again last night with the MBP MA896LL/A 15" Notebook PC (2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive, DVD/CD SuperDrive) . Installed FC6 - X came up, eth0 would not. Installed F7 - eth0 came up, X would not. Audio only worked with respect to headphones on both. Then I took the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file from FC6 and used it with F7 (it is configured for vesa). That worked - I was able to get X running in F7. Tonight I will try setting it to nv per diegof's suggestion.

Installations run smoothly (and are very quick) using the rescue CDs and connecting an external USB drive which contains the various Fedora ISO images. One curious thing - I would think that you could boot up one of the rescue CDs (F7, for instance) and then proceed to install any release of Fedora. For whatever reason each rescue CD would only install that particular release. :confused:

One other note - sometimes after a Fedora install I noticed that the system ID for partion /dev/sda4 (the Windows partition) would change from 7 HPFS/NTFS to something else. If I didn't correct this Windows would not boot up correctly. To fix things I would just go to the Linux side and run

fdisk /dev/sda

and then change the system ID for /dev/sda4 back to 7.

More fun tonight! :)

Vaiden
28th July 2007, 11:34 AM
It arrived today :) A 'howto' that describes how to install F7 on the MBP, step by step (for human beings :)), would be greatly appreciated... I don't really know where to start and I want to be sure that I don't screw things up totally. I also think other beginners out there are interested... the Debian wiki page feels more suited for advanced users.. thank you for the fantastic helpful attitude so far

Vaiden
31st July 2007, 12:45 PM
I'm installing right now, from the internet, using the network install boot cd. I've stored diegof's xorg configuration file on my USB stick and will replace the default with his one. I used the boot camp assistant to create the partition - very easy! More information about my success or failure will be posted soon! :D

I decided to install from a ftp server. stage2.img is loaded and I start the installation process. I'm now stuck on the screen that says "Starting installation process. This may take several minutes". My router indicates that it is actually downloading something... hm, I give it twenty more minutes :rolleyes:

Wihou! Now something happened! The package installation has started!

I did the yum update and tried startx but without success, so I replaced the original xorg.conf with the xorg.conf that diegof posted. It didn't work either, the output says something about line 111.

cladsa
31st July 2007, 03:18 PM
to vaiden: with ur old xorg.conf jus change nv to vesa and see wht happens? It starts up for me with a resolution of 800X600

Vaiden
31st July 2007, 03:34 PM
cladsa: Thank you, I'll reboot now and try it. I can do with simple graphics and 800x600 for a while... but when will the new nvidia driver be released? Where shall I look to stay updated?

Edit: The vesa thing worked :)

Vaiden
31st July 2007, 04:18 PM
Having some problems... I downloaded MadWifi via yum and did the modprobe ath_pci... but "lo" and "eth0" are the only interfaces that appear. I managed to get the atheros chipset in my Mac Mini and my brothers PC working with MadWifi.... why doesn't it work the same way with the MBP? :/

Edit: My mistake, diegof mentioned earlier in this thread that the madwifi version in the livna repository isn't working with the new mbp. I need help compiling it! :confused: :(

Another question (maybe a stupid one): Why doesn't gdm load when I start the computer? How do I fix it?

Solutions to the problems above would be greatly appreciated, especially the madwifi problem I have... I don't really know how to use svn to install the right version :(

Zontar
1st August 2007, 01:47 PM
Made some more progress -

Have installed practically everything from Fedora 7 and have brought it up to date with yum.

Got audio to work using this for my /etc/modprobe.conf

alias eth0 sky2
alias wlan0 ndiswrapper
alias scsi_hostadapter ata_piix
alias scsi_hostadapter1 usb-storage
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-hda-intel index=0

Gave up on madwifi (latest Fedora distro wasn't working and it was becoming a pain to try and compile the package). Went with ndiswrapper instead and it has been working great. Booted to Windows XP Pro on the MBP and grabbed the following two files which ndiswrapper needs

ar5416.sys
oem7.inf

Once you have those two files it is relatively easy to get wireless working by following the ndiswrapper instructions.

Have tried at several points to switch to nvidia in my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. The latest Fedora driver gives me lots of smeared colors all over the screen. I am still sticking with vesa which is working pretty well with the screen set to a generic 1440 x 900 LCD panel. I will keep giving the nvidia driver a try as it is periodically updated from livna.

Zontar
1st August 2007, 01:52 PM
Also, check your /etc/inittab file to make sure your default startup level is set to 5, not 3.

I know that early on in the installation process it was set to 3 and I had to manually go in and change it to 5 to get X to come up by default.

Vaiden
1st August 2007, 04:09 PM
Also, check your /etc/inittab file to make sure your default startup level is set to 5, not 3.

I know that early on in the installation process it was set to 3 and I had to manually go in and change it to 5 to get X to come up by default.

THANKS! :) :D

Vaiden
1st August 2007, 04:39 PM
Made some more progress -

Have installed practically everything from Fedora 7 and have brought it up to date with yum.

Got audio to work using this for my /etc/modprobe.conf

alias eth0 sky2
alias wlan0 ndiswrapper
alias scsi_hostadapter ata_piix
alias scsi_hostadapter1 usb-storage
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-hda-intel index=0

I don't manage to get the sound working with this method :(

Gave up on madwifi (latest Fedora distro wasn't working and it was becoming a pain to try and compile the package). Went with ndiswrapper instead and it has been working great. Booted to Windows XP Pro on the MBP and grabbed the following two files which ndiswrapper needs

ar5416.sys
oem7.inf

Once you have those two files it is relatively easy to get wireless working by following the ndiswrapper instructions.

I'll try ndiswrapper too - madwifi drives me mad ;)

Can you please upload the two driver files needed... I have no Win XP too boot from and I don't know how to find those files.

Zontar
1st August 2007, 07:11 PM
For whatever reason, I think it took several reboots and then the sound detection GUI worked all of a sudden (and there may have been a few yum updates in between). Then several reboots after that the system sounds started working.

diegof
1st August 2007, 09:26 PM
To use wifi I download madwifi from madwifi.org by svn, then I compiled it. For me it works also with the 2.6.22 kernel of Fedora 7.

I use the 1440x900 resolution. I posted the xorg.conf file before, and I use nv driver.

Zontar
1st August 2007, 11:03 PM
To use wifi I download madwifi from madwifi.org by svn, then I compiled it. For me it works also with the 2.6.22 kernel of Fedora 7.

I use the 1440x900 resolution. I posted the xorg.conf file before, and I use nv driver.

I also grabbed madwifi from madwifi.org, but had several errors pop up when I ran the make and make install. Rather than try to track down the cause, I decided to try ndiswrapper and had it up and running in about a half hour.

I have tried using your xorg.conf and the nv driver (the latest one from livna). I get crazy colors all over the screen. Are you getting your driver directly from the Nvidia support site? Also, I think you are running 64 bit Fedora - I'm running 32 bit, maybe that's the difference.

Hey, at least we are all making progress :rolleyes:

Vaiden
2nd August 2007, 12:52 AM
Hey, at least we are all making progress :rolleyes:

Yeah, some new steps forward every day... can't wait for the working nvidia driver ;)

Install rEFIt and Fedora for dual booting [x]
Manage to start X and use the native res. [x]
Setup X to start automatically (thx Zontar) [x]
Get hardware accelerated graphics [ ]
Install drivers for WiFi [ ]
Create my own Xmodmap [x]
Fix the trackpad functions [ ]
Manage to get sound with headphones [ ]
Backlit, brightness control, suspend etc. [ ]

Zontar
2nd August 2007, 01:22 PM
For sound I forgot one thing - put this line in /etc/modprobe.d/options :

options snd_hda_intel model=w2jc

I think this was everything I did. I still had to go through several reboots before sound began to work (the sound test first, then system sounds later).

Vaiden
2nd August 2007, 02:43 PM
Zontar: Did you install ndiswrapper from the livna repo? Where do I find it after it's installed? I've placed the two driver files in the same directory, but when I do the

$ sudo ndiswrapper -i oem7.inf
it says "command not found" although I know ndiswrapper is installed properly.

Edit: Now the built-in speakers work, but no sound when using headphones...

Edit2: Stupid as always :rolleyes: /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper was the right path

Zontar
2nd August 2007, 06:11 PM
More of a straight Fedora 7 question: After I installed everything, I tried as a non-root user to run thunderbird. Nothing happened - the prompt just comes back. Dug around and noticed that the permissions for /usr/lib/thunderbird-2.0.0.5 were set to 700 (rwx------). After I changed that directory to 755 (rwxr-xr-x), everything worked fine. Any one else have this happen to them?

Vaiden
2nd August 2007, 10:01 PM
There are now only a couple things which I must fix before I can feel totally comfortable with the system:

* nVidia graphics, will be fixed soon
* the trackpad, don't know how to fix this
* sound from headphones, don't know how to fix this

Help with the trackpad or the sound is GREATLY appreciated!!! Thank you guys for your support so far.

Vaiden
12th August 2007, 11:01 AM
Still nothing new when it comes to headphones-sound or trackpad...?

cladsa
12th August 2007, 05:22 PM
vaiden: so do u get sound out of the internal speakers?

marko
12th August 2007, 07:06 PM
Zontar: Did you install ndiswrapper from the livna repo? Where do I find it after it's installed?

In general, if you install an rpm package, you can find where all the
files were placed by running command:

rpm -q --dump packagename

Even if you forget the name of a package, you can remind yourself by
looking at the end of the /var/log/yum.log file

Mark

Vaiden
14th August 2007, 09:38 AM
cladsa: yes I get sound out of the internal speakers...follow the instructions given earlier in this thread

marko: great tip (rpm -q --dump packagename)

cladsa
14th August 2007, 03:58 PM
this question is to everyone ... when i use fedora on my MBP SR it seems to get really hot. Does nyone else experience the same problem cos if no one else does i might have to exchange it for another one.

Vaiden
15th August 2007, 07:18 PM
cladsa: Try using OS X for a while and compare the heat...

cladsa
17th August 2007, 06:41 PM
vaiden: for OS X its gets a little heated up but not as much as when i run fedora.

diegof
19th August 2007, 08:46 PM
For me the heat is higher with Fedora.

spidersweb
20th August 2007, 12:56 AM
I know this is a thread for the Santa Rosa model but I've got one of the previous models with the same problem. It's a late 2006 edition and I tried running a video (from a fedora server to a fedara 7 dual-boot mac) over a wireless nfs link (wirelss-n), just to see if it would work. The fan sounded as if it was about to take off! I'd hate to think what the temperature was.

snarfer
24th September 2007, 07:37 AM
Installed 64-bit Fedora 7 on MacBook Pro 17 Hi-Res. Some unexpected issues. I was unable to use an image on usb or firewire 400. The LiveCD would not boot. However, using the rescueCD and a DVD image located on an ext3 formatted external firewire 800 drive did work.

I used reFIT from the beginning. At one point OSX somehow uninstalled it but it was no problem to reinstall. Had to sync the partition table several times. grub.conf also had to be edited manually.

Wireless was the hardest part. There is no 64-bit windows XP driver for the Atheros 5418, so ndiswrapper cannot install it. Vista 64 bit driver is also unsupported. Currently madwifi-ng does not work either, at least with WPA. Finally downloaded the latest madwifi driver from svn and compiled. Seems to be working fine with wpa_supplicant.

nVidia has released an updated driver 100.14.19 and it works. Have not gotten GLX to work yet though. Checking the OpenGL/GLX Information tab in the NVIDIA X Server Settings application causes X-windows to shut down immediately. I suspect it may have to do with the kernel default settings and will make changes for next reboot.

Sound works with the configuration suggested earlier in this thread.

I am having a lot of trouble trying to get gphoto to connect to my camera. The application goes zombie on me and enters an unkillable D state filling my log with error messages. I left it in this state overnight and it never recovered.

chem
3rd October 2007, 07:09 PM
There are some really good wiki pages for getting ubuntu and debian working with SR MBPs. Perhaps a similar one could be made for F7 and/or F8. Has anyone tried Fedora 8?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MacBookPro/SantaRosa
https://cbg.dyndns.org/wiki/ReadingCorner/LinuxOnMacbookPro

C. Paranoid
17th October 2007, 05:45 AM
There is a start of a page for installing Fedora 7 on the Santa Rosa MacBook Pro at:

http://www.mactel-linux.org/wiki/MacBook_Pro_%28Santa_Rosa%29_with_Fedora_7

chem
4th November 2007, 10:11 PM
about time to start one up for fedora 8, then. :)

Vaiden
16th November 2007, 06:15 PM
Fedora 8 is now installed on my MBP on a 35GB-partition and it rocks!!! Hibernate is the only feature I haven't fixed...

Vaiden
1st May 2008, 10:12 PM
Installed Fedora 9 (Preview) x86_64 on my Macbook Pro (Santa Rosa) today. Several things just work out-of-the-box, but I have a few problems:
* nvidia drivers (I installed them from ATRpms, but it's unable to start x)
* ndiswrapper (when modprobing, it doesn't bring up the interface)
* pommed (is there any way I can get the bringhtness-adjustment of the screen working (with 64-bit OS)?)

Please help :) I will report any progress I make

marko
2nd May 2008, 12:30 AM
this question is to everyone ... when i use fedora on my MBP SR it seems to get really hot. Does nyone else experience the same problem cos if no one else does i might have to exchange it for another one.

try installing powertop and then run that as root:

su -
<root pswd>
yum install powertop
powertop

powertop is a Intel written tool but hopefully the MacBook Pro being
intel based now will run it ok. It will show you the top power hog
causing services and will give suggestions on what to do

Vaiden
4th May 2008, 12:24 PM
I gave up on the x86_64 and installed the i386 instead. Got the display brightness controls to work (pommed) and the wireless (with ndiswrapper and the bootcamp drivers). I still haven't managed to fix nvidia graphics, though.