PDA

View Full Version : installation file help

dominikm86
10th June 2007, 07:55 PM
hi, i am new at using linux and i want to download some software but i am never sure which ones to download. i am using linux fedora 6 on a regular desktop but when i go to download a linux version of something the options are for example linux rpm self extracting or just self extracring. can someone please tell me in general what kind of installation files i need to downloading.
thanks

paul matthijsse
10th June 2007, 09:17 PM
hello, rpm"s are software packages pre-configured for red hat / fedora, they can be downloaded and installed automatically; just by clicking on a link that ends in .rpm. These things exist for Debian systems as well for example; they end in .deb.

Self extracting files end in .bin for example. Flash is an example of this, or Shockwave if I remember well. Usually closed software, as far as I'm aware of.

If you don't know which files to download exactly (you're new to linux you said), it"s way easier to use the software installer called yum from the command line ("yum install <package>), or via a graphical interface, that software is called yumex (type "yum install yumex" in a terminal to install that). You might want to read some things about yum/yumex configuration, search in this forum for that.

O yes, there's another one called Pirut, you can find that software in the menus, Add/Remove software, it does about the same...

Cheers, Paul.

wwwpedroj
11th June 2007, 07:16 PM
Hi. I need help to generate a hdlist. I have installed anaconda-runtime but the genhdlist program is not there. I download anaconda.src.rpm that contain a file genhdlist.c but give me an error when I try to compile it. Please help me

paul matthijsse
12th June 2007, 09:22 PM
what error exactly?