PDA

View Full Version : new laptop for fedora 7

shyamndpatel
10th June 2007, 05:48 PM
hello everyone

i am planning to buy a new laptop can anyone suggest me the configuration for the laptop that i should buy that would be most compatible for fedora 7 and i can use wi fi connection in it too...........please please help me out :confused:

Nakamura
10th June 2007, 06:04 PM
Ive been using the Dell Inspiron 9400 for a bit, most things work out of the box. Including WiFi(ipw3945), ethernet and Sound. If you do get a Dell sure you don't get a "Core Duo" since they have a problem with ACPI not allowing Linux/Darwin kernel to use both cores. This is a problem with "Core Duo" and NOT "Core 2 Duo"

David1980
10th June 2007, 06:41 PM
I have a Thinkpad R60. Most things worked out of the box 'cept for the wifi. But there is a howto on this forums how to fix it.

segfault
13th June 2007, 12:05 PM
Ive been using the Dell Inspiron 9400 for a bit, most things work out of the box. Including WiFi(ipw3945), ethernet and Sound. If you do get a Dell sure you don't get a "Core Duo" since they have a problem with ACPI not allowing Linux/Darwin kernel to use both cores. This is a problem with "Core Duo" and NOT "Core 2 Duo"

It is also a problem with my Core 2 Duo, so this might not be isolated to the Core Duo.

Cheers,
segfault

Dead1nside
13th June 2007, 11:10 PM
Why is it the processor's problem?

A.Serbinski
14th June 2007, 05:45 AM
May not be the processor's problem, could be a kernel problem.
On a more positive note, AMD Turion64 X2's have no such problem. Performance in them is at least as good, and the price tends to be lower.

Might want to look at Acer. I know, budget brand. They do, however, have all the bells and whistles, and everything works great in Linux, except the webcam (if equipped). Aspire9300 is a nice 17" X2 with NVidia GPU and sells for under $1000 CDN. Aspire5100 is a nice 15", if you can stand the ATI GPU.

nashikit
17th June 2007, 03:24 PM
Hi,
I am new for linux. Some one suggest me for fedora 7 for new user.
I have HCL laptop with Dual Core processor with 1 Gb transcend ram, 160 gb hard disk and dvd writer. I successfully install (i think so)fedora 7 with all packages(more then 1000) . But fail to boot fedora ?
How i can recover the system.

Malachai
18th June 2007, 03:38 AM

Tell me this.. Nakamura... how did you know that your ipw3945 worked out of the box? How did you test it and how did you start it up... my laptop is E1405 that it did load the drivers for it but couldn't get started I tried FN+F2 nothing..

Let me know when you have time.

simpleashwin
18th June 2007, 02:52 PM
Hi !! I have recently placed the order for DELL XPS M1210 . It would probably arrive within a few days and I am planning to install Fedora 7 on it . Has anybody installed F7 on a DELL XPS M1210 before . Please let me know if there are any issues related to :

a.) Suspend to RAM
b.) Detection of wireless card
c.) Dual booting with Vista
d.) Any problems with Webcam.

My Configuration is as follows :

intel Centrino Core 2 Duo T 5500(2MB L2 cache)
2GB DDR 2 RAM 667 MHz
intel 945G chipset
80 GB SATA 7200 rpm
intel Wireless 3945

Thanks ..

Malachai
18th June 2007, 08:17 PM
Hi !! I have recently placed the order for DELL XPS M1210 . It would probably arrive within a few days and I am planning to install Fedora 7 on it . Has anybody installed F7 on a DELL XPS M1210 before . Please let me know if there are any issues related to :

a.) Suspend to RAM
b.) Detection of wireless card
c.) Dual booting with Vista
d.) Any problems with Webcam.

My Configuration is as follows :

intel Centrino Core 2 Duo T 5500(2MB L2 cache)
2GB DDR 2 RAM 667 MHz
intel 945G chipset
80 GB SATA 7200 rpm
intel Wireless 3945

Thanks ..

It's almost the same as loading any dell... Are you going to have a dual boot with Vista. I have the M1405 dual boot... it was very easy after making some changes.

Let me know if you need help, other thing wait a couple of days then contacty our dell or chat with them over the net... And ask them to change you shipping date to next business day... Trust me it's much faster .

simpleashwin
21st June 2007, 02:39 PM
You mentioned some changes which need to be done while installing F7 . Can you tell me more about it .
There is still some time to go before I can have my lappie delivered . DELL told me that it takes around two weeks to deliver the product . So I guess I will have to wait a week more . !!

Thanks very much ..

Ashwin

Malachai
22nd June 2007, 03:04 AM
You mentioned some changes which need to be done while installing F7 . Can you tell me more about it .
There is still some time to go before I can have my lappie delivered . DELL told me that it takes around two weeks to deliver the product . So I guess I will have to wait a week more . !!

Thanks very much ..

Ashwin

well that is BS>... tell them you been waiting for it... and that you want to change the delievry date.... trust me they will do it for you...

Well when booting up edit the kernel from the cd by placing acpi=off... that's if you're getting a dual core processer... after you run yum update ... you could take it out and it will work fine with out it.

the wireless card will be a pain... other thing go into your bios if you bought you laptop with blue tooth... turn it off since you might not us it.

trust me everything else will be easy... are you going to be running KDE or GNOME?

simpleashwin
22nd June 2007, 06:15 AM
Thanks .. I will talk to DELL .

Regarding acpi being turned off .. wont it affect my CPU settings like temperature , fan speed etc ..

Also can u specifically tell me the details of the following :

1.) wireless lan installation .
2.) I have a Bluetooth module .

One more thing , I read the reviews related to Fedora core 6 on XPS but did'nt found any problems . Is core 6 better than Fedora 7.

Thanks very much ..

hermouche
6th September 2007, 09:50 AM
I have a Thinkpad R60. Most things worked out of the box 'cept for the wifi. But there is a howto on this forums how to fix it.

Hy David1980,

Could you please please post the command: lspci
I've got a Thinkpad z60m and i want to know if there is no problem with an Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection (rev 05) device?

Thanks red

David1980
6th September 2007, 10:00 AM
Hy David1980,

Could you please please post the command: lspci
I've got a Thinkpad z60m and i want to know if there is no problem with an Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection (rev 05) device?

Thanks red

davidg@r60:~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS/940GML and 945GT Express PCI Express Root Port (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 02)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller AHCI (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility X1400
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5751M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 21)
03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (rev 02)
15:00.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Cardbus Controller
15:00.1 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments PCIxx12 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
davidg@r60:~$

There you go, but as i said, after reading the howto (i forgot the link to it again) i managed to get the Wireless working with no problems.

D.

adarsh
12th September 2007, 05:50 AM
i am using ACER Aspire 5630 its the best it have the support of all hardwares, wi-fi, lan, modem speaker, video, usb etc, can say support for all

spike910
12th September 2007, 01:42 PM
hi, does anyone know if my laptop will run fedora 7? its specs are:
processor - Intel Centrino Duo Pro 1.4ghz (2.6ghz equivalent)
RAM - 1.28GB
Graphics - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
Hdd - 60GB SATA

Any help would be greatly appreciated

slade17
13th September 2007, 02:30 PM
if you're looking for a laptop that will work well with linux, you really have to look at all the components. your best bet is to stick with intel and nvidia products that have been out for ~6 months, if you want things to work out of the box. as far as wireless is concerned, Intel Pro/Wireless 3945 works out of the box without a problem. it has drivers in the F7 repository, as well as a few other intel wireless cards. the newest 4965 card will be supported out of the box soon, but i don't think it is yet. you'll have to compile the drivers on your own.

hi, does anyone know if my laptop will run fedora 7? its specs are:
processor - Intel Centrino Duo Pro 1.4ghz (2.6ghz equivalent)
RAM - 1.28GB
Graphics - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
Hdd - 60GB SATA

Any help would be greatly appreciated
that really doesn't say much. it's the little details that are most likely to cause you problems, or other things you didn't mention (sound card? wireless card?). the only thing I can really say is that the graphics card is likely to cause you issues, since ATI doesn't really support linux well. you should be able to get it working, though, and a distro that provides proprietary drivers out of the box (like sabayon) should work fine.

Dead1nside
13th September 2007, 07:46 PM
since ATI doesn't really support linux well

What once was true is now false (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjA1Mw).

Bring on the revolution. What's more the new fglrx (granted, proprietary) have improved performance in a lot of cases by a very significant amount.

AMD are really trying these days.

slade17
13th September 2007, 09:15 PM
What once was true is now false (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjA1Mw).

Bring on the revolution. What's more the new fglrx (granted, proprietary) have improved performance in a lot of cases by a very significant amount.

AMD are really trying these days.
hmm, as of yesterday? it will take a while for the result of the specs being released to reach the end user. maybe by F8 or 9 a good open source ATI driver will be out. for now, its probably still best to go with nvidia.

Dead1nside
13th September 2007, 10:58 PM
hmm, as of yesterday? it will take a while for the result of the specs being released to reach the end user.

Wrong. (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjA1NA) I understand that this is a small thing, but it is in opposition to your statement. I'm very much for patting people on the back when they do a good job and AMD deserve a cheers. You're also wrong again, because late next week a Novell lead open source driver based on the spec will be coming out. How long's a Fedora release cycle, 8 months? So you think it's going to take 16 months for a community led, manufacturer assisted (they've paid developers to work on the open source driver temporarily) driver to materialise and be useful? Definitely wrong.

for now, its probably still best to go with nvidia.

Don't see why... right now ATI's new proprietary driver is definitely more than competitive than nvidia's. You want to invest in the future as well as the present. ATI cards are pretty well supported even if not by the fglrx driver, my Fire GL T2 was detected and configured at the right resolution for my screen, what about all those Radeon 7500's or the ATI Mobility 9600 64MB, all supported I'd bet.

Go AMD/ATI. Previously I would have supported your recommendation to go with nvidia, but I think everyone's equally bad at the Linux driver game, the graphics vendors that is, and ATI are making big strides here.

slade17
13th September 2007, 11:16 PM
Wrong. (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjA1NA) I understand that this is a small thing, but it is in opposition to your statement. I'm very much for patting people on the back when they do a good job and AMD deserve a cheers. You're also wrong again, because late next week a Novell lead open source driver based on the spec will be coming out. How long's a Fedora release cycle, 8 months? So you think it's going to take 16 months for a community led, manufacturer assisted (they've paid developers to work on the open source driver temporarily) driver to materialise and be useful? Definitely wrong.

Don't see why... right now ATI's new proprietary driver is definitely more than competitive than nvidia's. You want to invest in the future as well as the present. ATI cards are pretty well supported even if not by the fglrx driver, my Fire GL T2 was detected and configured at the right resolution for my screen, what about all those Radeon 7500's or the ATI Mobility 9600 64MB, all supported I'd bet.

Go AMD/ATI. Previously I would have supported your recommendation to go with nvidia, but I think everyone's equally bad at the Linux driver game, the graphics vendors that is, and ATI are making big strides here.
so let me know when the ATI videocard drivers, as well as support for AIGLX/a major improvement of XGL, reaches the fedora/livna repos (with few, if any, problems). Intel supports linux more than either ATI or NVIDIA, and it took a while for the IPW 4965 driver to reach the repos.

if a person needs a working laptop *now*, its probably better to go with nvidia. sure, when the drivers are out, you can re-evaluate that.

and considering Fedora 8 is scheduled to be released on November 8th, 2007, I'm wondering where you got 16 months from. That's less than 2 months on my calendar.

Dead1nside
14th September 2007, 12:25 AM
Yeh, forgot that 8's scheduled pretty soon. But you said Fedora 8 or 9. Intel do a good job with their drivers these days you're right. You're also right that they contribute more, but that's because they own most of the market due to their integrated chips and the push towards platforms like Centrino, which feature only Intel chipsets, processors and wireless cards.

If he wants a laptop now, I'd say get a Thinkpad, large community, pretty good Linux support out of the box and all the hardware performance you could want.

Few if any problems, Intel's drivers I'm sure have issues, there isn't the perfect driver out there. Next month's fglrx driver which will be in Livna (?? I don't know the usual routine on that one) will support the desktop effects fully to my understanding.

I'm not sure what you want from a graphics chipset in a laptop, depends on what you want from the laptop. And this also means that you can be perfectly satisfied with the default, open source ATI driver that will run with desktop effects and everything. Or is it 3D acceleration that you want, in which case proprietary is best at the moment. Depends on the laptop more than the OS he choses, for that point.

nycxphil
31st October 2007, 04:09 PM
I am having problem's with my resolution. I am running XPS M1210 with fedora 7, Intel 945G video card. My display manager says my resolution is 1024x768 and display is off by 2 inches from the right and about half an inch from the bottom. Been trying everything to fix it, but no luck. Can someone please help.
URL=http://img452.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot2lt9.png][/URL]

Intel Centrino Duo 1.66Ghz T2300
1 GiB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
100GB SATA HD
12.1″ WXGA Display
Intel ProWireless
Dual Boot XP PRO & Fedora 7

A.Serbinski
1st November 2007, 01:12 AM
1024x768 is NOT the correct resolution for that display. You should use 1280x800. Due to a deficiency in the Intel graphics devices, you may need to use the "915resolution" hack to get it to accept that resolution.

nycxphil
1st November 2007, 01:55 AM
1024x768 is NOT the correct resolution for that display. You should use 1280x800. Due to a deficiency in the Intel graphics devices, you may need to use the "915resolution" hack to get it to accept that resolution.
That's the other problem that I have I need to set the resolution to 1280x800 I think that would fix the my screen beeing off by an inch.
I tried using 915resolution it wouldn't work. I tried downgrading the driver to the older one and then using the 915resolution it still didn't work. When I downgraded my driver it displayed at 1024x768 and my picture wasn't off by an inch. Maybe I need to mess with my xorg.conf, but I am still a n00b when it come's to linux. Last time I tried to mess with xorg.conf I crashed it.