PDA

View Full Version : Boot error, Beryl error

metalworm
10th June 2007, 11:40 AM
Hello, i am using fedora 7. My chipset is 915GM. I am using intel driver. When i am using beryl, i can not play any films. It always announce memory bad allocation (somewhat like this, i do not remember exactly). Whenever i turn beryl off, using combiz or gnome, playing film is ok. Is there any one get the same problem? How can i solve it?

Another question is, i have a partition /dev/sda10 (ext3) which is default mounted to shared folder. I want to change it to vfat to share with Windows. I use mkfs.vfat to change it. after changing, i reboot, oh my god, "fsck.ext3 unable to resolve LABEL=/shared1" and i got stuck here. I try to edit fstab to delete the LABEL=/shared1 line but it is alway read only mode.
How can i fix it and change /dev/sda10 to a window partition (with a label, e.g F) and automount to /shared folder in linux. Pls show me in step. Thanks.

leadgolem
10th June 2007, 12:23 PM
As far as getting the drive out of read only mode, I do not know. I would however, suggest that you format the drive in ntfs. Ntfs supports journaling. With journaling you won't lose data if you are reading the drive and the power goes out, or if your cpu fan fails and the system over heats. Fedora 7 has read/write support for ntfs by default. The new line in your fstab would look something like this.
/dev/sda10 /shared ntfs defaults 0 0Never heard of beryl doing that, then again Firewing1 isn't on, and he is our resident desktop effects expert.

metalworm
10th June 2007, 01:33 PM
Thanks. However, i think u misunderstood me a little bit. I mean that after i used command mkfs.vfat to change shared folder from ext3 to vfat, i reboot my computer, at the clean stage(e.g clean /home, clean /, clean /shared) in clean /shared, i got the error "fsck.ext3 unable to resolve LABEL=/shared1". After that, it change on the repair file system mode with command line (not problem with me much). I tried to delete the line LABEL=shared 1 in my fstab file, but this file is always in read only mode. So i couldnt change it.
With this error, i can not boot to my fedora 7. Always got stuck at clean /shared stage and go to repair file system mode.

My question are
1/how can i fix this error
2/ After fix it, i want to label this partition so window can recognize it (for example: F). I dont know how to label this partition>.<.
3/ After label this partition, i want my linux box auto mount this partition automatically when my linux boot up.

Thanks.
P/s: By the way, i heard some one say that writing to NTFS driver is not safe (read is OK). So now does Linux fully support NTFS or still experimental?

metalworm
10th June 2007, 04:41 PM
This is exactly my problem with beryl and compiz:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/111257

And this is the suggestion for playing video in compiz and beryl => change to X11

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=428018

However, the last comment:

Hi, this is a bit of a flawed solution because when choosing X11 instead of XV for video playback you lose all the hardware acceleration, scaling etc. That is, you lose a lot of quality when playing a video and its extremely CPU consuming (just try to play on x11 fullscreen and you'll know what i mean).

Has anyone found a way of fixing this black video problem WITHOUT having to downgrade the video to X11 (ie. keeping the XV driver????)

Thanks in advance!

This is my next question >.<.

P/s: I fix the /dev/sda10 already. They way to edit fstab (read only) in repair file system mode is:
#mount / -o remount,rw
Then we will have write permission

leadgolem
11th June 2007, 03:01 AM
P/s: I fix the /dev/sda10 already. They way to edit fstab (read only) in repair file system mode is:
#mount / -o remount,rw
Then we will have write permission
Hmm, good to know.

Writing to ntfs is now stable with the use of the ntfs-3g. Ntfs-3g is included in a f7 default install.

You shouldn't have to label the partion at all. Windows will automatically assign it the letter. Once you know the windows drive letter, you may want to specify a mount point with that name. IE /share/F in your fstab.