PDA

View Full Version : Listen Music Player

alberbyte
8th June 2007, 11:46 AM
Hi!

I've just installed "Listen Music Player" from Fedora repositories using "Pirut" but I can't start the program. Does anybody have the same problem or it's just me??

When I launch Listen the message "Starting Listen Music Player" appears on the Gnome bar but in a few seconds it disappears and nothing happends.

Any help or idea?? :confused:

Thanks

lazlow
8th June 2007, 04:41 PM
Try opening it from the command line. When it errors out, it should give you an error message. Post back the message.

martin.sourada
8th June 2007, 04:57 PM
what version do you have? listen-0.5-15.fc7.1.i386 works for me flawlessly.

alberbyte
8th June 2007, 05:14 PM
Version is listen-0.5-15.fc7.1.i386. I simply install it from the repository. No errors about dependencies were reported with Pirut and installation seem to complete ok.

I've opened it in the Terminal as lazlow said and this is the report:

No musicbrainz support (tunepimp missing or version < 0.5)
No iPod support
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/listen/listen.py", line 219, in <module>
ListenApp()
File "/usr/lib/listen/listen.py", line 145, in __init__
from widget.listen import Listen
File "/usr/lib/listen/widget/listen.py", line 36, in <module>
from widget.source_ui import SourceUI
File "/usr/lib/listen/widget/source_ui.py", line 40, in <module>
from source.info_source import *
File "/usr/lib/listen/source/info_source.py", line 27, in <module>
from widget.webinfo.lyrics import LyricsBox
File "/usr/lib/listen/widget/webinfo/lyrics.py", line 33, in <module>
from widget.mozembed_wrap import MozClient
File "/usr/lib/listen/widget/mozembed_wrap.py", line 23, in <module>
import gtkmozembed
ImportError: libgtkembedmoz.so: no se puede abrir el fichero del objeto compartido: No existe el fichero o el directorio

--------------------
The import error is in Spanish, but basically it says that can't open the file because it doesn't exist(either the file or the directory)

I don't know were exactly libgtkembedmoz is, but gtkmozembedmm 1.4.2 cvs is installed and also its devel version.

I've also have libtunepimp 0.5.3 installed, so don't know why it says its missing :confused:

Maybe I did something wrong installing other players like Mplayer or they have incompatibilities??

martin.sourada
8th June 2007, 05:58 PM
Version is listen-0.5-15.fc7.1.i386. I simply install it from the repository. No errors about dependencies were reported with Pirut and installation seem to complete ok.

I've opened it in the Terminal as lazlow said and this is the report:

No musicbrainz support (tunepimp missing or version < 0.5)
No iPod support
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/listen/listen.py", line 219, in <module>
ListenApp()
File "/usr/lib/listen/listen.py", line 145, in __init__
from widget.listen import Listen
File "/usr/lib/listen/widget/listen.py", line 36, in <module>
from widget.source_ui import SourceUI
File "/usr/lib/listen/widget/source_ui.py", line 40, in <module>
from source.info_source import *
File "/usr/lib/listen/source/info_source.py", line 27, in <module>
from widget.webinfo.lyrics import LyricsBox
File "/usr/lib/listen/widget/webinfo/lyrics.py", line 33, in <module>
from widget.mozembed_wrap import MozClient
File "/usr/lib/listen/widget/mozembed_wrap.py", line 23, in <module>
import gtkmozembed
ImportError: libgtkembedmoz.so: no se puede abrir el fichero del objeto compartido: No existe el fichero o el directorio

--------------------
The import error is in Spanish, but basically it says that can't open the file because it doesn't exist(either the file or the directory)

I don't know were exactly libgtkembedmoz is, but gtkmozembedmm 1.4.2 cvs is installed and also its devel version.

I've also have libtunepimp 0.5.3 installed, so don't know why it says its missing :confused:

Maybe I did something wrong installing other players like Mplayer or they have incompatibilities??

Well, here we are again... It seems that there is a dependency problem after all... I and some other people experienced bug in Fedora 7's yum, that occasionally install software even if it can't install it's dependences. In this case you have probably new firefox and gnome-python2-gtkmozembed build against old firefox. What version do you have? I have these:
gnome-python2-gtkmozembed-2.14.3-3.fc7
firefox-2.0.0.4-2.fc7

martin.sourada
8th June 2007, 06:03 PM
Well, and to answer some of your other questions. It needs puid or something for libtunepimp to enable its support. Don't care about the warning, it's harmless. libgtkmozembed.so is firefox stuff and is located in /usr/lib/firefox-*/ so therefore if firefox version number changes the library is moved to another directory and other apps are not aware of it until they are built against the new firefox. Other players cannot break your listen installation if you have them from official fedora repos or livna/fresh/dies or other well tested and used repos and should not break it if they are installed from not so trusted rpm maker...

martin.sourada
8th June 2007, 06:05 PM
And also one advice... do yum install yum-utils (unless you have them already installed) as root and then as root run
# package-cleanup --problems

alberbyte
8th June 2007, 06:36 PM
wow..thanks a lot!!You're completely right!

I've installed yum-utils and run your command and here is the problem:

Setting up yum
Reading local RPM database
Processing all local requires
Missing dependencies:
Package gtkmozembedmm requires gecko-libs = 1.8.1.3
Package gnome-python2-gtkmozembed requires firefox = 2.0.0.3

---------
I have these versions installed:

gnome-python2-gtkmozembed-2.14.3-2.fc7
firefox-2.0.0.4-2.fc7

What shall I do? Delete Listen, downgrade the packages...?

I'm sorry for bothering you so much but I'm quite new to linux :(

alberbyte
8th June 2007, 07:07 PM
I've uninstalled Listen and gnome-python2-gtkmozembed-2.14.3-2.fc7. And then reinstalled them but this time with gnome-python2-gtkmozembed-2.14.3-3.fc7. Now it works!!! :p

But there may be a bug either in Pirut or Yum as you said before because when I've reinstalled Listen it didn't complain about dependencies but gnome-python2-gtkmozembed-2.14.3-3.fc7 wasn't installed!!! Also the updater didn't tell me to update to gnome-python2-gtkmozembed-2.14.3-3.fc7 and I was using gnome-python2-gtkmozembed-2.14.3-2.fc7!!! :confused:

I'll try to report that bug if I find the right place to do it.

Thank you very much for your help!!! :)

martin.sourada
8th June 2007, 07:14 PM
I've uninstalled Listen and gnome-python2-gtkmozembed-2.14.3-2.fc7. And then reinstalled them but this time with gnome-python2-gtkmozembed-2.14.3-3.fc7. Now it works!!! :p

But there may be a bug either in Pirut or Yum as you said before because when I've reinstalled Listen it didn't complain about dependencies but gnome-python2-gtkmozembed-2.14.3-3.fc7 wasn't installed!!! Also the updater didn't tell me to update to gnome-python2-gtkmozembed-2.14.3-3.fc7 and I was using gnome-python2-gtkmozembed-2.14.3-2.fc7!!! :confused:

I'll try to report that bug if I find the right place to do it.

Thank you very much for your help!!! :)

The bug has been discussed on several mailing lists already, dunno however if it has been submitted to bugzilla. It will not be easy to fix, as it is not usually easy reproduce... You can fill a bug at http://bugzilla.redhat.com/ against Fedora 7, package either Pirut or Yum. If you pick the wrong one, it will be changed to the right one...

martin.sourada
8th June 2007, 07:30 PM
The bug has been discussed on several mailing lists already, dunno however if it has been submitted to bugzilla. It will not be easy to fix, as it is not usually easy reproduce... You can fill a bug at http://bugzilla.redhat.com/ against Fedora 7, package either Pirut or Yum. If you pick the wrong one, it will be changed to the right one...

Well, I have found some bugs related to this... and there might be more...
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=242368
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=242279
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=241967
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=242299

alberbyte
9th June 2007, 09:23 AM
Well... I finally post a bug in bugzilla. It's strange because if you uninstall gnome-python2-gtkmozembed it automatically detecs that Listen depends on it and uninstalls it. But then, if you reinstall Listen no complain about gtkmozemb not been installed is reported and Listen is installed without gtkmozembed :confused: Also, after a few attemps to see if the problem persists, gnome-python2-gtkmozembed 2.14.3-3 disappear from the repository and just build 2.14.3-2 was there :eek: Very confusing!!

I've installed synaptic and apt instead and just after that it has detected broken dependencies and fix them!No more problems installing Listen!! What happens with YUM? It seems to be not as developed as APT!!

leadgolem
9th June 2007, 10:55 AM
It's not that, yum underwent some fairly substantial changes from fc5 to fc6 and again from fc6 to F7. If you run
yum clean allBefore you install something this error should not occur.

alberbyte
9th June 2007, 11:23 AM
I did a "clear all" yesterday when trying to solve the problem and did not help. Maybe is not a problem with YUM but with PIRUT. Don't know, my knowledge on Linux is at a very basic level,but one thing is clear, at least in my case: If I did it just in a graphical way (just with PIRUT) it fails. And with Synaptic it doesn't.

I'm not saying one is better or worse than the other, simply that probably there's a bug in YUM or PIRUT (maybe not and I did something wrong :confused: ) that all of us must help to report and fix to make these applications even better than they're now.

leadgolem
9th June 2007, 11:39 AM
I wasn't trying to attack anybody, and I completely agree with the refinement of software. I very much doubt you did anything wrong, yum is supposed to prevent such problems. Glad you found free software that works for you.:)

martin.sourada
9th June 2007, 11:56 AM
I have these problems with yum on clean F7 install as well. It definitely is a bug and it's a bug in yum, but if I am careful enough I can still use it fairly well, but last time I wasn't and it broke epiphany and some other apps depending on firefox... So, I run package-cleanup from time to time to make sure I have all dependences OK...

Btw, if you are interested how I broke it, well, I did yum update and result was it failed to missing deps on firefox-2.0.0.3, so I did yum --exclude=firefox update and it failed on missing deps for firefox-2.0.0.4 so I tried, out of curiosity, yum --exclude firefox update (yes, without the =) and to my astonishment the update was "successful" -- everything that needed new firefox update, even firefox-devel 2.0.0.4 but firefox not, so the updated apps broke...