PDA

View Full Version : how do I make a HD writeable

cole07
7th June 2007, 09:24 PM
I had Fedora 6 on my Gateway computer and everything was find, then I install Fedora 7 through a live CD and I guess my Hard Drive is not writable now. I can NOT change the permissions on folders and files. (I wish they were 777!)

When I do try to change permissions it doesn't take effect.

What can I do to fix this?

pompeiisneaks
7th June 2007, 10:13 PM
That sounds more like you're confusing the CD with the Hard Drive.

Did you install on the hard drive, reboot and remove the CD. CD's are always RO, but the filesystem on a normally booted linux should be RW.

~Phil

cole07
7th June 2007, 10:51 PM
I loaded the Live CD, then click the install icon on the desk top. The CD is and has been removed from the CD drive since I installed it.

I can go in and create files and such... but I can't change the permissions or have PHP write files.

fancylad
8th June 2007, 01:13 AM
Do you mean you can create files on the hard disk in question? If so then you have write permisson on the drive. What does ls -ld /nameofmountpoint reveal? What happens when you attempt to change permissions? Do you get any kind of message, like operation not permitted? Are you doing this as root or a less-privelaged user?

fancylad
8th June 2007, 01:18 AM
Do you mean you can create files on the hard disk in question? If so then you have write permisson on the drive. What does ls -ld /nameofmountpoint reveal? What happens when you attempt to change permissions? Do you get any kind of message, like operation not permitted? Are you doing this as root or a less-privelaged user? What kind of file-system is this (ext3, FAT, etc)?

cole07
8th June 2007, 05:30 PM
when I did ls -ld /
I got drwxr-xr-x 23 root root

when I did ls - ld /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01
I got lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root

nspmangalore
8th June 2007, 07:08 PM
i think he meant ls -ld /path_to_your_mount_folder

cole07
8th June 2007, 07:19 PM
O, umm... I don't know what that path would be!

nspmangalore
8th June 2007, 07:24 PM
ls -l at the location that contains your files...

nspmangalore
8th June 2007, 07:25 PM
also. what message do you get as an error??