PDA

View Full Version : Laptop - Docking Station (Dual Monitors) [Twinview] Question

Velicos
6th June 2007, 08:44 PM
Greetings!

So I took the plunge a couple days ago and successfully installed Fedora 7 x64 on my Dell Precision M65 work laptop. Threw my Windows environment into VMWare where it belongs and try to do as much as possible in Linux. Here is my scenario:

1) While I'm at work I'm at a docking station which has dual 19" 1280x1024 monitors which are configured in Twinview mode. I have Beryl enabled successfully and it's been a great experience.

2) Now when I'm at home or on travel I'm stuck with the built in laptop LCD.... when it boots it doesn't try to discover what monitors are attached and uses my Xorg.conf that enables Twinview on my dual 19's while docked. I only see the half of the screen....

How do I get around this? Can I create a dynamic Xorg.conf which I can either select from on boot or have it automagically detect what's going on? Many thanks in advance!

PS - I have been using my nvidia-settings utility to generate my Xorg.conf file.

Here is my current xorg.conf:

# Xorg configuration created by livna-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
FontPath "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "extmod"
Load "glx"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from data in "/etc/sysconfig/keyboard"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

# HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "DELL 1901FP"
HorizSync 30.0 - 80.0
VertRefresh 56.0 - 76.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "Quadro FX 350M"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Option "DisableGLXRootClipping" "True"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "TwinView" "1"
Option "metamodes" "CRT: 1280x1024 +1280+0, DFP-1: nvidia-auto-select +0+0; CRT: 1280x960 +1280+0, DFP-1: nvidia-auto-select +0+0; CRT: 1280x800 +1280+0, DFP-1: nvidia-auto-select +0+0; CRT: 1280x720 +1280+0, DFP-1: nvidia-auto-select +0+0; CRT: 1152x864 +1280+0, DFP-1: nvidia-auto-select +0+0; CRT: 1024x768 +1280+0, DFP-1: nvidia-auto-select +0+0; CRT: 800x600 +1280+0, DFP-1: nvidia-auto-select +0+0; CRT: 640x480 +1280+0, DFP-1: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

rrkennedy
12th October 2009, 04:43 PM
Did you ever get this figured out? I am running FC11 on a Dell Latitude D630. I run it docked at the office with dual 19" LCDs (one on the DVI and one on the DB15), and of course when undocked I run off the 14" laptop LCD. The problem I have is switching between docked and undocked. I I just suspend and undock I have no display on my laptop (i.e. it doesn't auto-detect the fact that the 19" monitors are no longer connected and auto-switch over to the laptop display). I can restart X and that will bring it back up on the laptop display but that is a kludge in my opinion and there should be a way to refresh without restarting X. Same thing goes when docking... X only comes up on the laptop display as it was prior to docking. Restarting X will bring it up on my analog DB15 monitor and not on the laptop LCD but the right-hand monitor does not get enabled in twinview mode like it was prior to undocking last time. When I go into nvidia-settings I can see the analog LCD and the laptop LCD (AUO) but not the DVI connected LCD, so I can't re-enable twinview on it. I can restart X till I am blue in the face and it never shows up... BUT, if I reboot the laptop it finally shows up and I can re-enable twinview on it. Such a pain in the arse. :confused:

Velicos
12th October 2009, 05:09 PM
Trying to think what I did.... I'm pretty sure I ended up using a different Xorg.conf file depending on where I was using the laptop (docked vs undocked). I left it at a manual process but I'm sure there are ways to allow you to select which Xorg.conf file to use if you try hard enough.

DBelton
20th October 2009, 10:16 AM
Here is the section for my video card in my xorg.conf file that I use on my Dell laptop.

When docked, I have a 1680x1050 lcd connected to the docking station that is CRT-0
The laptop display is DFP-0.

This works, just gives an error in the xorg log when one of the displays can't be found.

I also have a problem if I try to use both displays at one time since I have them set to diff resolutions, but this isn't too big a deal. I just leave the laptop closed when I have it docked.

I also had to use the nvidia drivers and not the noveau drivers.

Section "Monitor"
# HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
Identifier "AcerX223W"
VendorName "Acer"
ModelName "Acer X223W"
# HorizSync 30.0 - 83.0
# VertRefresh 56.0 - 76.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce4 440 Go"
Option "NoLogo" "True"
Option "TwinView" "True"
Option "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"
# Option "UseDisplayDevice" "CRT-0"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Option "CoolBits" "1"
Option "TripleBuffer" "True"
Option "MetaModes" "CRT-0:1680x1050_60 +0+0,DFP-0:1600x1200 +0+0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "AcerX223W"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "MetaModes" "CRT-0:1680x1050_60 +0+0,DFP-0:1600x1200_60 +0+0"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1680x1050" "1600x1200" "1440x900" "1280x1024" "1280x800" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
Mode 0666
EndSection

joculi
13th September 2010, 02:11 AM
Here is the section for my video card in my xorg.conf file that I use on my Dell laptop.

When docked, I have a 1680x1050 lcd connected to the docking station that is CRT-0
The laptop display is DFP-0.

This works, just gives an error in the xorg log when one of the displays can't be found.

I also have a problem if I try to use both displays at one time since I have them set to diff resolutions, but this isn't too big a deal. I just leave the laptop closed when I have it docked.

Does this solution allow you to hot dock and undock (i.e without rebooting?)

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM CDT ----------

I can restart X and that will bring it back up on the laptop display but that is a kludge in my opinion and there should be a way to refresh without restarting X. Same thing goes when docking... X only comes up on the laptop display as it was prior to docking.

I agree restatring X is a kludge, but I'd like to try it. Problem is, when I hot undock, I can't figure out how to restart X. I've tried Ctl-Alt-F7 and Ctl-Alt-Backspace. Neither seems to work. How can I restart X after undocking?

DBelton
13th September 2010, 05:29 AM
if you are running F13, then look in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-system-setup-keyboard.conf and be sure the terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp line is in it.

below is my entire /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-system-setup-keyboard.conf file:

# This file is autogenerated by system-setup-keyboard. Any
# modifications will be lost.

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "system-setup-keyboard"
MatchIsKeyboard "on"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105+inet"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
# Option "XkbVariant" "(null)"
Option "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp,"
EndSection

If you are still on F12, the it needs to be in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

Then the ctrl-alt-backspace should restart X.

and I had problems hot-docking or undocking as well. sometimes it worked, other times it didn't until I restarted X.