PDA

View Full Version : A second /home for a single user?

joegumbo
6th June 2007, 12:32 AM
Hi,

Would it be possible for me to add another directory equivalent to the /home directory on my system without it becoming unstable Or, another /home/user_name directory?

What I would like to do is basically either have two /homes or a /home/user and /home/user_other accessible by the logged on user. One /home or /home/user would be kept regularly backed up on my zip drive; the other would be for non-vital but large files like large video downloads, .isos, etc that can be reacquired.

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question... I realize that I can just click and create another directory and call it anything I want to. But, I'm not sure how GNU/Linux is written and I don't want to compromise the logic of the system and have it become unstable. I realize I could probably reorganize /home/user. But this seems to me the most straight-forward approach for what I want to do without having to stop about what I'm doing as I work and lose my rhythm..

Thanks,
-Joe G. (a Xandros refugee)

JN4OldSchool
6th June 2007, 12:37 AM
you can create any extra partitions you like! Just dont have 2 /home/sameusername. They have to be different names or you will have huge problems. But I dont think you want the "home" part for your other partition anyway, just call it /username or /storage or /video or whatever. Then just automount it for whichever users you want.

joegumbo
6th June 2007, 12:56 AM
Thank you JN!

-Joe

Dies
6th June 2007, 01:01 AM
Just make another directory, you really don't want to mess around with extra directories under /home just for storage.

su
mkdir /Downloads
chown -R joegumbo /Downloads
ln -s /Downloads /home/joegumbo/

That makes the directory in / , gives you ownership and provides a link to it in your home folder. Obviously you need to change the names but you get it.

joegumbo
6th June 2007, 02:02 AM
It worked perfectly Dies.

Thanks,
-Joe