PDA

View Full Version : File Selection Dialogs broken

Deore
3rd June 2007, 02:06 PM
Hi!

I upgraded my FC6 (Gnome) to F7 with an install DVD. Now I see that the dialogs for file selection (for example OpenOffice -> Save or Open; Gedit -> Save or Open, .....) are broken! The program that needs the dialog freezes and nothing happens. I suppose it is something nautilus-related.
Has anyone made the same observations?
Simple test: start openoffice's writer with a new document, enter sth and try to save it. Does the file selection dialog come up?

If not nautilus what else can be the cause?

Deore
14th June 2007, 10:12 AM
This is really annoying! Usually file selection works (after a fresh restart) but after a while - I don't know when exactly, it stops functioning. As I said nothing happens, the program requesting a file selection dialog freezes and I have to kill it eventually losing work...
How can I debug this?? Which component is responsible for these dialogs? I thought nautilus. Tried updating it - no good as I have apparently the last version: nautilus-2.18.1-2.fc7.
What can I do? The problem is that I cannot report what exactly breaks it.
Any opinions?

ankit
14th June 2007, 10:47 AM
May be take a screenshot of the broken dialog-box, then experts can be able to advice.

Deore
18th June 2007, 03:49 PM
There is no dialog box. This is the problem. It is not started and the application requesting it freezes. If I took a screenshot it would be just of the frozen application screen.
The last time this happened was right now - trying to save a file with firefox (save target as...) but I do not think firefox is the cause as it has happened with other apps too. Now the dialogs of each app are not available. For example gedit -> Open freezes too. Or whatever -> Open / Save as freezes.
I am clueless...