PDA

View Full Version : Kernel panic, Cannot boot after installing new kernel

Ambiguous-69
3rd June 2007, 01:55 PM
First I'll describe how this happned. I decided to update my xen kernel back to kernel 2.6.20-1.2948.fc6.i686 after installing the nvidia drivers. I had problems updating it using rpm due to it telling me some packages were conflicting so I decided to use --force command with rpm. The next time i booted up I recieved that kernel error. Below is the whole eroor message.

Booting 'Fedora core (2.6.20-1.2952.fc6)'

root (hd0,1)
Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.20-1.2952.fc6 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
initrd /initrd-2.6.20-1.2952.fc6.img
[Linux-initrd @ 0x1fc63000, 0x3779e1 bytes]

Uncompressing Linux...Ok, booting the kernel.
ACPI: Invalid PBLK length [5]
/bin/nash: error while loading shared libraries: libm.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Kernel panic - not syncing: Attemoted to kill init!

After that it hangs, as you will notice by kernel version, I have removed and reinstalled a prior version kernel (this time using yum not rpm) but i recieve the same results shown above. So I tried this kernel version shown in the error message above but the same result I get. The only kernel currently working and booting up is the xen kernel currently installed.

Dies
3rd June 2007, 03:51 PM
I had problems updating it using rpm due to it telling me some packages were conflicting so I decided to use --force command with rpm.

That was probably not a good decision. ;)

You'll either need to figure out what packages you screwed and re-install them or a better option would probably be to grab your stuff and move on to a clean install of F7.

Ambiguous-69
3rd June 2007, 07:58 PM
Well thre must be a way of fixing this. If this happned in a company a IT tech would know what steps to take to get it working again.

leigh123linux
3rd June 2007, 08:12 PM
If this happned in a company a IT tech would know what steps to take to get it working again.

The IT tech would be getting 15 -20 per hour for his trouble ;)

Did you make a system backup ?

Dies
3rd June 2007, 09:55 PM
Well thre must be a way of fixing this. If this happned in a company a IT tech would know what steps to take to get it working again.

Yup, like I said you have to figure out what all you screwed up and put it back the way it was, that simple. If you did have a backup like leigh suggested then it would be really, really simple.

But if you were expecting some magical cure like:

yum fix all

I'm sorry to say that you are SOL.

leigh123linux
3rd June 2007, 10:45 PM
Try

su -
yum whatprovides libm.so.6

This should tell you what package to install to provide libm.so.6

Ambiguous-69
4th June 2007, 03:37 PM
Okay it told me what provides that file, I'm startign to hate yum less now with handy features like that lol.

Now I have to stop it from crashing constantly on te cutrrent workign kernel so I can download it. I knwo what crashing it, its the official nvidia drivers since I havn't go tthe right drivers for the xen kernel installed.

I need to kno what teh name is of the original default nvidia driver that is installed when you first install fedora core so I can make the changes to my xorg.conf and download fedora core 7.

leigh123linux
4th June 2007, 03:47 PM
Okay it told me what provides that file, I'm startign to hate yum less now with handy features like that lol.

Now I have to stop it from crashing constantly on te cutrrent workign kernel so I can download it. I knwo what crashing it, its the official nvidia drivers since I havn't go tthe right drivers for the xen kernel installed.

I need to kno what teh name is of the original default nvidia driver that is installed when you first install fedora core so I can make the changes to my xorg.conf and download fedora core 7.

Try "nv" or "vesa"

Ambiguous-69
6th June 2007, 03:58 AM
seems to have worked, Now I can download the image and burn it and install FC7